The Third Legacy (v1.2 released)

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

Huh, I can't believe this is the first post about that dungeon in all this time.

The Mirror Shield and Hammer are back in the first Treasure Vault, but you don't need them to get anywhere in any of the main dungeons. There are MirrorRobes in a few rooms - typically those with item cellars - but you don't have to defeat them, you just have to burn the stairway open and get the item.

The only item you need is the wand, which yes, works on those blue enemies. It's actually just a few rooms up from the boss room with those Digdoggers. So by this point, you went halfway around the B6 loop to get to the Digdoggers at the bottom of B7 - but if you continue the B6 loop, there's another set of rooms at the top of B7. The uppermost one has the wand, under a burn stair like the rest of the item rooms. For as many paths as that level stretches, I wanted to be sure the wand, and the enemy it's needed to defeat, were close to each other.

Also, if the compass indicator wasn't clear, all you have to do to get to the boss room and wand item from the start is zig-zag between the upper and upper-right room and take the stairways down until you hit the B6 loop that takes you to both of them.

Double-also, you can get an alternate Hammer, and a better-than-mirror Shield, in the next segment of the game. Or you can just buy a regular Mirror Shield - the shop's at the top left of Underworld - but the cave with the better shield is 3 screens below, so it's probably best to fight through that instead.

[EDIT] Seeing how this just got featured: in the event that anybody is considering playing it, I've been doing a relatively large v1.2 update over the last few months meant to coincide with the final release of ZC 2.53 (possibly mid to late October), so if anybody wants to test a fully-functional-but-needs-slight-tweaks copy (recommended), let me know. You don't have to give a beta report, but I wouldn't mind a few quick comments before the official release so that I can consider other people's preferences.

[EDIT 2] v1.2 released.

Edited by Lüt, 14 September 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#62 XiBowhunter

XiBowhunter

• Members

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Huh, I can't believe this is the first post about that dungeon in all this time.

The Mirror Shield and Hammer are back in the first Treasure Vault, but you don't need them to get anywhere in any of the main dungeons. There are MirrorRobes in a few rooms - typically those with item cellars - but you don't have to defeat them, you just have to burn the stairway open and get the item.

The only item you need is the wand, which yes, works on those blue enemies. It's actually just a few rooms up from the boss room with those Digdoggers. So by this point, you went halfway around the B6 loop to get to the Digdoggers at the bottom of B7 - but if you continue the B6 loop, there's another set of rooms at the top of B7. The uppermost one has the wand, under a burn stair like the rest of the item rooms. For as many paths as that level stretches, I wanted to be sure the wand, and the enemy it's needed to defeat, were close to each other.

Also, if the compass indicator wasn't clear, all you have to do to get to the boss room and wand item from the start is zig-zag between the upper and upper-right room and take the stairways down until you hit the B6 loop that takes you to both of them.

Double-also, you can get an alternate Hammer, and a better-than-mirror Shield, in the next segment of the game. Or you can just buy a regular Mirror Shield - the shop's at the top left of Underworld - but the cave with the better shield is 3 screens below, so it's probably best to fight through that instead.

(And, seeing how this is back up top: in the event that there may be another 1 or 2 people considering playing it, I've been doing a relatively large v1.2 update over the last few months meant to coincide with the final release of ZC 2.53, so if anybody wants to test a functional-but-needs-tweaks copy on the latest 2.53 beta, let me know.)

Thanks for the quick reply!

I made my post in haste, because not long after the post, I forgot that I had completely skipped the treasure vault.  I went right there and completed it (I think).

Now I am looking for all the scrolls, I have three of them, but I'm not sure which ones they are.  

Any hints on the scroll locations?

Yep I guess I'm looking for half magic and the scrolls before I try that underworld again!  That place is rough!

#63 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Sure, no problem.

So if you have 3 scrolls, I'd assume you got the one right below the entry to the red overworld area, then probably the one from Inferno Dungeon, and either the one from Frozen Dungeon, or the guy in the cave below that dungeon (the one before entering the Underworld area). So that's 4, and honestly, the 2 that are genuinely useful are in the third Treasure Vault, those being Hurricane Spin and Super Quake. If you didn't get the one in Frozen Dungeon, it's just the regular Quake Hammer - probably not worth going back all the way to find it, especially if you get the Super Quake.

Of all the items available, the scrolls aren't the most necessary, but Quakes are good for stunning large groups of Darknuts, and the Hurricane Spin is useful against certain later-level Zol and Vire tribbles. (I wish I could have made it so those attacks don't cancel when you get hit, thus making the scrolls genuinely useful, but, what can you do...)

Regarding Underworld, yeah it's a bit of a madhouse, and it helps to pick up as much as you can from Overworld before going down. But at the same time, I tend to tilt my difficulties as they progress - meaning that you can comfortably wander ahead without a lot of items at the beginning, but by the middle you'll need a notable amount of available items to get by adequately, and by the end you'll need to run ahead a bit to get items that help make the area you're currently in tolerable. Obviously some disagree, but I find rehashing the same difficulty ratios throughout every segment of a game to be rather boring. Helps keep me interested when things get shaken up like that. So don't worry too much about running through Underworld like a soldier through a battlefield crossfire. When the guy by the entrance says find The Three Caves (or Four Caves in v1.2) and gives directions, one of them has the Master Sword (first one to the east, roughly bottom-center of the map), and that's the main item to make the area much easier. Also, it's only the Underworld "Overworld" that has the hectic enemies with respawn. If you get to one of the caves or the dungeon, they just continue the same difficulty ramp as any other dungeon so far.

Regarding Treasure Vaults, the first and second are "complete" when you get the 3 items at the end and the 4 heart pieces throughout, while the third only has 2 items at the end, but also the 2 scrolls and another 4 heart pieces throughout. And you should probably have half-magic before going into the third (it's not very far away). I realize it may not be totally obvious when those or the caves are complete because the bonus areas don't use maps or compasses, but there you have the item counts for the vaults, and the caves only have a single item at the end, so that's how you know they're done (v1.2 has maps and compasses for all these areas thanks to a little scripting help).

Anyway, hope that helps for now.

#64 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

average everyday normal guy

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:05 AM

i cant quite seem to find the raft to get out of the first area. i beat all the dungeons and the vault. im pretty sure its whereabouts are hinted buy the guy at the waterfall but i cant find the water to play the whistle at.

#65 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:26 AM

Oshi-- forgot to update the topic for v1.2 :ohmy:

i cant quite seem to find the raft to get out of the first area. i beat all the dungeons and the vault. im pretty sure its whereabouts are hinted buy the guy at the waterfall but i cant find the water to play the whistle at.

OK, so you know that room where you got the candle in L2, just to the right of the start? There's one exactly like it around the middle of L3, except this time it's a passage to the right side of the level instead of an item chamber, and up there's the whistle water with the raft underneath.
Spoiler

#66 soxfan2k4

soxfan2k4

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:30 AM

I'm stuck in the first area.  I've beaten the Desolate Dungeon, but cant proceed.  What did I miss?

#67 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

I've beaten the Desolate Dungeon, but cant proceed.  What did I miss?

Possibly the Bracelet?

In the upper-right room of L1 where you get the boss key, you can also open a passageway to the upper-right rooms of the dungeon from under the upper-right block (got an upper-right theme going here).

Might've been a bit early to do an item/passageway stack, but I figured I'd introduce the concept right at the start since it happens a few other times too.

#68 soxfan2k4

soxfan2k4

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

Yup, it was a bit early to expect that, and that's why I glossed over it!  I have played some quests where rooms off to the side detached from the rest of the map are decoys, so I just assumed that was also!

#69 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

Oh, nah I don't fake anything on my maps, or leave anything out.

Once you get the map, you see all there is to see, nothing less and nothing more.
  • ChrisHunter64 likes this

#70 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

• Members

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

Much appreciate my dude. I can respect the roundaboutness of finding the second area. I must have overlooked that room but at least i got the idea to look in dungeons before aswell, just not the right room lol.

Edited by ChrisHunter64, 21 September 2019 - 01:17 AM.

#71 ChrisHunter64

ChrisHunter64

• Members

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

these vaults are the work of evil

Edited by ChrisHunter64, 13 November 2019 - 03:08 PM.

• Disembodied_Octorock likes this

#72 Disembodied_Octorock

Disembodied_Octorock

• Members

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:32 PM

I am enjoying this quest and I hope to be able to continue doing so but I am stuck. Was the hammer before the sand dungeon or inside?

have I missed it somewhere else?

It seems to be used a good deal on the overworld so I suppose I need it to continue.

Thanks for any replies.

#73 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:59 PM

I am enjoying this quest and I hope to be able to continue doing so but I am stuck. Was the hammer before the sand dungeon or inside?
have I missed it somewhere else?
It seems to be used a good deal on the overworld so I suppose I need it to continue.

Thanks!

Hammer was in the first Treasure Vault, along with 2 other items, so yeah you could have had it by now.

But, as an optional item, its only progress-related purpose is opening up other optional/bonus areas.

Which, admittedly, you'll probably find more and more necessary as the quest progresses :P

• Disembodied_Octorock likes this

#74 Disembodied_Octorock

Disembodied_Octorock

• Members

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:05 PM

Thank you so much for such as fast response. OK back to the first area and do more exploring.

Thanks!

Hammer was in the first Treasure Vault, along with 2 other items, so yeah you could have had it by now.

But, as an optional item, its only progress-related purpose is opening up other optional/bonus areas.

Which, admittedly, you'll probably find more and more necessary as the quest progresses :P

• Lüt likes this

#75 Disembodied_Octorock

Disembodied_Octorock

• Members

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

Thank you so much for such as fast response. OK back to the first area and do more exploring.

I have made it to Inferno and kikking azz.

Not bad for an old fart using just keyboard for controls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users