Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

I've got a bit of a problem. you've all seen my Nunki Bay screenshots over there in the official screenshot thread, right? well, since it's a BAY, I need lots of WATER. however, the water is boring. example:

user posted image

see? now, I could make the screens more interesting by adding tons of little islands, or something land-ish, however this is open-water, so that wouldn't work

what I need from you guys is suggestions for stuff under the water. the water is supposed to be clear, so that makes it easy. I just don't know what to put down there, you know?

#2 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:03 AM

Put fish and rocks and burried treasure and shipwrecks and OOH! you could do a shipwreck dungeon where you have to dive to get into it or you could do an Atlantis type place and you can see it from the surface and then you dive down to get there.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

Okay, a few things.
  • Sand Dunes. If it's a bay, it could definitely use a little bit of sand here and there. Don't overdo it, of course, but sand can definitely be used well in these settings.
  • Starfish and things that you'd see washed up next to the cliffs. I'd like to see barnacles sticking to the lower cliffs. That'd be nice. icon_smile.gif
  • Seagulls. Perhaps you could have little birds laying on the shore, sitting, as eyeball combos? They wouldn't look at you when you're behind them though. That'd be cool. ^_^
  • Have the reflection of the cliffs showing in the water. That might be a nice little touch.

#4 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:05 AM

I would put in some seeweed or somthing... and make the water a little bit lighter... the dark water just makes my eyes not want to look at it, pluse the land is so bright.

I don't know much other then that, but ShadowTiger has some good ideas.

Comix

#5 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Apr 28 2006, 07:28 AM)
Okay, a few things.

• Sand Dunes.  If it's a bay, it could definitely use a little bit of sand here and there.  Don't overdo it, of course, but sand can definitely be used well in these settings.
  • Starfish and things that you'd see washed up next to the cliffs.  I'd like to see barnacles sticking to the lower cliffs.  That'd be nice. icon_smile.gif
  • Seagulls.  Perhaps you could have little birds laying on the shore, sitting, as eyeball combos?  They wouldn't look at you when you're behind them though.  That'd be cool. ^_^
  • Have the reflection of the cliffs showing in the water.  That might be a nice little touch.

View Post

this is supposed to be IN the water, not AROUND the water

Lizmo, I already have the dungeon planned out. I need suggestions for thungs under the water that have nothing to do with the actual gameplay; stuff to make the water less boring

#6 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

I know, I meant things like fish swiming under the water that you can see and perhaps half-burried treasure chests under the water and stuff like that.

#7 Mikado

Mikado

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

How about some underwater cliffs? Like, drop-offs and stuff, then, when you can't make the colors any darker, it can indicate a spot where you can't go, or where you must swim. And the water should be a bit lighter. Too dark. icon_wink.gif

Edited by xXVolvagiaXx, 28 April 2006 - 02:49 PM.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:50 PM

this is supposed to be IN the water, not AROUND the water
Well, the last one kind of is. icon_shrug.gif ... ... ... Or, were you talking about the water closer to the shore, or the water farther out? icon_unsettled.gif I mean, ... ... ... Is that ... ... *Googles "Bay"* Dude, just put some waves in there or something. Maybe a little boat.

Maybe put some different terrain types down there, take out most of those things sticking out of the water now, then make the water transparent and layer it on?

#9 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:52 PM

Well... Is the setting supposed to be in the dark, sorta at night?
Anyway...

I would find it pretty cool with the reflection of the sun on the water. That way, it would look like a REAL island, not just some boring... water stuff.
Don't make it all 1 color, add a whole bunch of different colors to the screen.
Well, I can't think of any other suggestions, so I guess I hope those suggestions are good.
Oh, and another suggestion, make it look like there are ship parts in the water. Not just those boring wood logs in LA, but make it look like it came from an actual ship or something.
Well... hope ya liked the suggestions.

#10 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

♫Rocks and fish, rocks and fish....♫ like everyone else said, it needs some rocks sticking out of the water and fish swimming underwater.

#11 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

maybe I'll add underwater ruins, and rocks floating under the water, and some seaweed like stuff

Shadow Tiger, my water isn't THAT clear

Skipper, having the sun reflect off the water wouldn't look right. it would have to scroll with Link when he swam from one screen to another

Siguy, fish under the water would be hard to do, but it WOULD look nice

everyone else, the water is dark like that so create the illusion of crystal-clear water with almost no bottom. it's staying that dark

#12 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hmm... I was just wondering about this... What about some logs and sticks floating in the water?

#13 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:20 PM

that's a good idea, but it would have to be limited to the area with land around it... I think I'll use that idea, though

#14 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

Maybe you could have one or two of those massive palm leaves floating in the water...

#15 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:41 AM

I was actually thinking that, but not quite "floating", per se, but more like on a submerged island

anyway, I came up with some quick fixes for some under water stuff, I want to know what you guys think:

user posted image

better? what else would you like to see in there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users