Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#76 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:46 PM

New Direct for Smash Ultimate on November 1st at 9 AM Central Time, and it will be 40 minutes long and followed by a Nintendo Treehouse Live. I sure the news will be:

-New Characters revealed.

-New Stages revealed.

-New Items, Pokemon, and Assist Trophies revealed.

-That Mode on the Main Menu (Spirits) revealed.

Well, if anyone has a character they want to see get confirmed, start crossing your fingers because I think this will be the last chance they have when it comes to being confirmed for the game (unless DLC happens, which is likely).

Edited by KEM64, 30 October 2018 - 02:49 PM.

• Adem likes this

#77 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

Well, the Direct just ended, and here's what was revealed:

-Ken (from Street Fighter, Echo Fighter to Ryu) and Incineroar (from Pokemon) confirmed. Unfortunately, they're the last 2 characters revealed for the base game's roster.

-No collectable trophies this time.

-Spirits Mode, which puts you into fights against characters under certain conditions to try to win Spirits of characters from the represented series that power up your characters (sort-of like the stickers from Brawl).

-New Assist Trophies include Spring Man (ARMS), & some girl from a Fatal Frame game.

-Returning Assist Trophies include Shadow the Hedgehog (from Sonic).

-Multi-Man Smash returns.

-Mii Costumes return.

-In-game Gold used in the shop for Spirits & Music Tracks.

-DLC confirmed with 5 characters. You can buy each of the 5 sets (which contain a character, stage, and some music tracks) for $5.99 each, or a Fighter's Pass for $24.99 which gets you all the sets.

-A free-for-a-limited-time character who happens to be probably the biggest troll move Sakurai has ever done, especially to those who wanted Waluigi and/or Toad playable....

Spoiler

-Some kind of Adventure Mode called "World of Light" was revealed.

Spoiler

There were other things, but that's all I can remember. Now to mourn my lost hopes of playable Issac (who was confirmed....as an Assist Trophy), Dixie Kong (shown as one of the collectable "Spirits"), and Bomberman (was revealed as a Assist Trophy back at E3). Geno wasn't revealed, but he could be DLC. The loss of collectable trophies also hurts. I also didn't see anything about the return of Home Run Contest, a Target Mode, or even All-Star Mode.

Edited by KEM64, 01 November 2018 - 04:12 PM.

#78 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

Incinceroar seems like a cool addition. I mean, we know what its final smash is (clearly Malicious Moosault, i.e. his signature Z-move; not Savage Spin-out, unfortunately :P).

Don't have that many more opinions; I like that there's a story mode again (I forget if Wii U/3DS had one; I never played it). Still a little annoyed at some of the missing characters, but whatever. Should be fun, as soon as I get a Switch.

#79 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:37 PM

Gonna be honest, I didn't get into the hype with all the leaks going around but this seemed very underwhelming of a direct.

- Incineroar looks to be a good addition. I'm not big on it being chosen over all of the other Pokemon and there are many better picks but he still looks to be fun. (Eevee for Smash 6 please.)

- Ken as an Echo. He's okay. I know a lot of people wanted him so I'm happy for them. amiibo is nice too.

- Online Play appears to be not so good from what they have shown. Why did we take away For Fun and For Glory lobbies? That was a great way to have separate lobbies. Now you have to hope you don't get matched with some player who has all Pokeballs and Assist Trophies on and the game picks that ruleset. All it does is waste time and will get people stuck playing matches they don't want to play.

Speaking of that; Punishments for SDing and disconnecting online also seems really bad with the removal of For Fun and For Glory lobbies. Why should the player be punished because they don't want RNG Fest and lose hard earned GSP due to it? If someone is being a jackass and another player reports them, then have a penalty. Just design the system so it is x amount of disconnects/SDs and a report.

- Removal of Trophies in favor of glorified Stickers is lame. I get they are more work but come on. Trophies were always a staple and my favorite collectible throughout this series.

- Pre-Order Exclusive nonsense. It sucked when Hyrule Warriors did it, it still sucks now. I'll be less annoyed if when it comes out it is immediately purchasable as DLC for everyone. But they should have clarified this. They didn't clarify so more people will pre-order out of fear of missing out, but that is not a good marketing tactic.

-  "The new mode is more for fun than for story" So basically Event Matches with a different map layout? I get cutscenes, etc. are hard but even if we just had textboxes like in RPGs, I would be fine with it. it seems like a massive letdown for this game to lack a good story mode with so many iconic characters in it. I don't doubt the mode will be fun but still.

Finally, it is a shame that Nintendo held back Robin's final smash and had subtle hints for Chrom and Dark Samus being in but intentionally held back Issac and Shadow as assist trophies for no reason whatsoever. I wasn't big on either of them but a good chunk of the fan base seems to have been crushed by this. Or they are just very vocal.

Re: Limited Character:

Spoiler

Re: Adventure Mode:

Spoiler

Apologies if I'm coming off as overly negative, but I'll probably pass on this game and just watch people play on Youtube and Twitch if I need a Smash fix. Not really in a great spot financially anyhow.

Edited by HylianGlaceon, 01 November 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#80 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

The online matchmaking is little annoying but I tend to only want to play online games with friends so at least it won't affect me. I wish the World of Light mode was a little more involved, but if it has some more neat cutscenes at least, I'll be happy. I hope the cinematic we got in the trailer isn't all we get, nor is it absent from the game itself.

I don't see the need to spoiler the Piranha Plant's announcement. The entire internet knows by now, and if people want to look in this thread, they've probably already seen the Direct. That said, Piranha Plant is an incredible inclusion. It's so left-field, so unexpected, and looks like a legitimate character as far as fighting style. I definitely want to give him a go.

The only thing that truly bothers me is the loss of trophies. I hope we can at least get a spirits gallery and still have some blurbs for them, but that still won't fill the void and I know it. Trophies were so fun to collect, a tangible reward to add to your digital collection. They were well done, nice to look at it, and the gallery and screenshot options were fun. I spent a lot of time playing with my trophy collection in every game. Even 64. To lose them here is a bit saddening.

Other than that, still looking forward to playing the game.

• Anthus likes this

#81 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:00 AM

Thoughts on the Direct:

The Good....

-DLC characters are coming. 5 final chances for people to hope for their most wanted character to get in unless they've been deconfirmed.

-They added Guile's theme to the game, with the character appearing as an Assist Trophy!

-Ken and Incineroar may not be the best final additions to the base roster, but I'm okay with them (I was expecting Ken to show up because you can't have a game with Ryu and Echo Fighters and not have Ken).

The Bad....

-I was gutted hard by the sight of Isaac being an Assist Trophy again. Losing Bomberman to the same fate back in E3 was bad enough. No, I didn't believe the Grinch leak (I don't believe leaks, because you never know what Nintendo is going to do, especially since anyone can just make up a leak now), but I was sure this was Isaac's chance of finally making it.

-The loss of collectable trophies. I liked collecting trophies just for the descriptions for each one that told you stuff about the character or thing you were looking at and what games they were from. They were also a nice incentive of playing the different modes. With trophies gone now, what's the point of playing through Classic Mode if you're not going to get anything worthwhile like a trophy of the character you just beat Classic Mode with? I hope they have something where you can look at the different spirits you got and read descriptions about the characters and what games they're from.

-Speaking of modes, a lot of modes from previous games are gone now. No Home Run Contest, no Target Test (or even Target Blast), All-Star Mode is now part of Multi-Man Smash, no Stage Builder. The only modes in the Games & More menu is Classic Mode, Training, and Multi-Man Smash.

-And the one character who is probably going to be the most divisive new character in Ultimate (unless somebody worse is revealed as DLC)....Piranha Plant. The biggest problem with this character's reveal is probably going to be the timing, being revealed about 10 minutes after hopes for fan favorites like Isaac, Shadow, the Black Knight, and Skull Kid (who wasn't even revealed in the Direct! You had to go to the game's site to find out that he's still an Assist Trophy) to be playable were crushed. Talk about insult to injury. It reminds me of the reveal of Bad Box Art Mega Man in Street Fighter x Tekken with the character being revealed when Mega Man fans were not happy with how Capcom was treating the Mega Man franchise at the time. The good news is Piranha Plant is a bonus DLC character, which means you don't have to get it if you don't like it.

The Ugly....

-Seeing EVERYONE (except Kirby) getting vaporized by the main villain's light beams of doom in the World of Light cutscene.

Spoiler

So in all, for a final Direct of the game, it seems like it fell short compared to the August 8th Direct, which seemed to be the peak when it came to the reveals and hype they generated.

Edited by KEM64, 06 November 2018 - 12:45 AM.

#82 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:04 AM

With trophies gone now, what's the point of playing through Classic Mode if you're not going to get anything worthwhile like a trophy of the character you just beat Classic Mode with?

Only thing I can think of is unlocking new characters. I don't know if they confirmed that you have to unlock characters through World of Light but I doubt that they'd remove the ability to unlock characters from Classic Mode.

As far as All-Star Mode, I get it. 74 fighters. Plus five more DLC. I really don't want to have to deal with that sort of gauntlet unless there was a handicap in my favorite, because that sounds awful. Especially to do with every character (assuming there's a reward for that).

#83 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 November 2018 - 02:56 PM

I can assume you'll get coins to buy spirits from classic mode since it's not purely gacha luck and there's probably still a shop.

That aside, yeah, chances are classic mode's primarily for characters. Honestly even when I'm not aiming to unlock anything, Classic mode's fun anyways. Plus challenges are back, so things should be fine I think.

#84 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:29 PM

Also another thing, in fairness, they've confirmed the Classic Modes are different for each character. Their "paths" have their own names and stipulations, such as Ryu's being all stamina matches on Omega Mode stages. This sounds actually pretty cool and fun, adding a unique edge to Classic Mode that makes up for the changes to All-Star and the lack of trophies. That sounds like pretty solid motivation for me to check them out, especially if I don't get a trophy anymore.

• Haylee and Jared like this

#85 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

In other news, Sakurai just confirmed all five DLC characters were already selected by Nintendo, in a rare English tweet. And this followup tweet is almost the embodiment of the "never ask me for anything ever again" meme.

• Adem likes this

#86 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:34 PM

Well, now to wait and see who the 5 DLC characters are going to be. I'll wait and see who they are before deciding on getting the Fighter's Pass.

Things I found out about thanks to last weekend's "Nintendo Live" streams in Tokyo, Sakurai's presentation after the Day 1 streams, and comments I read in places like GameFAQs:

-This one was actually in the Direct, but Yoshi has a new Final Smash which is a nice callback to Melee's opening (the different colored Yoshis stampeding over the place).

-Meta Knight has a new Final Smash where he knocks an opponent towards the top of the screen and slashes them repeatedly before knocking them away.

-Shiek has a new Final Smash where she slashes an opponent repeatedly (quite a few characters seem to be having that kind of Final Smash).

-Richter's Final Smash is the same as Simon's, unfortunately (sorry for anyone who was hoping for an Item Crash Final Smash).

-Daisy's Final Smash is the same as Peach's (but with a yellow flower border with Daisy on it that spawns daisies instead).

-Young Link unfortunately has the same "Triforce Slash" Final Smash as Toon Link.

-Fighters get spirits of themselves (Sakurai's presentation showed the Shop, and 1 of the buyable items was a spirit of Daisy, who is playable). Shouldn't be surprising, considering Brawl fighters had stickers of themselves. This news could be good for those who feared "Spirit of wanted character revealed=Character Deconfirmed". Comments I've read also mentioned spirits of the Male Wii Fit Trainer and King K. Rool.

-Isabelle's run of Classic Mode has her fighting female characters (female characters or female versions of characters with male and female alts like Wii Fit Trainer, Inkling, Villager, Robin, or Corrin).

-I think I read somewhere that Chrom's Mii Outfit is returning despite Chrom being playable now. This news might be a "Not so fast" response to anyone who thinks "Mii outfit of character like Rex revealed=That character deconfirmed!".

Edited by KEM64, 06 November 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#87 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:06 AM

-Richter's Final Smash is the same as Simon's, unfortunately (sorry for anyone who was hoping for an Item Crash Final Smash).

Their Final Smash is an Item Crash though. :P

#88 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

Also another thing, in fairness, they've confirmed the Classic Modes are different for each character. Their "paths" have their own names and stipulations, such as Ryu's being all stamina matches on Omega Mode stages. This sounds actually pretty cool and fun, adding a unique edge to Classic Mode that makes up for the changes to All-Star and the lack of trophies. That sounds like pretty solid motivation for me to check them out, especially if I don't get a trophy anymore.

Yo do you got a link to a source on this? This sounds hella sick and I don't think too many people know about it if it's legit. I wanna tell other peeps about it.

EDIT: Nvm Boyo found it

#89 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:06 PM

A whole bunch of new gameplay footage from places like GameXplain has popped up, revealing some new details. I'll put the new details in a spoiler tag in case some people don't want to be spoiled until launch....

Spoiler

Edited by KEM64, 20 November 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#90 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:29 AM

Your second point doesn't sound spoilery but it does sound pretty disappointing. Is there no meaty gameplay to unlock them?

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 20 November 2018 - 12:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users