My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

• Please log in to reply
3580 replies to this topic

#1 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

I don't know how to say this without sounding like an idiot, but...I started watching the new My Little Pony series. And I kept watching it. It was actually genuinely entertaining, and even though it's a kids show, it has a lot of subtle plot elements that unravel over time.

I never thought a "Previously on My Little Pony" sequence would be necessary; yet somehow, episode 2 begs to differ.

I don't know what else to say about it. It's just one of those things that you have to see. I feel like at this point anything more I say about it will make you not want to watch it, and then you'd all be missing out on something wicked and epic.

Before I leave you to discuss this and potentially watch it, I would like to leave you with the three videos that made me want to watch MLP.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UFa7YfdY_58
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=81gU8-oEwoc
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FIo0DDUoetA
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cB7cCvZSIm0

Third one is easily the funniest, but the second one is pretty good, too.

#2 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

The show is by the same people who made Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab. So, I've got high hopes that it will be considered classic animation one day.

#3 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

And Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. icon_wink.gif

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Heh, don't feel too embarrassed. I know more than one guy over age 30 who has watched this show and really likes it. icon_wink.gif Quite strange, but I may actually have to try it sometime, despite the cheesy title and the fact that it's My Little Pony. It'd be refreshingly ironic if it ended up being better quality than the multi-million dollar Transformers movie franchise.

Incidentally, I remember watching one of the old My Little Pony movies with my sister when I was a kid. Can't say it really stood out as a good movie, but I didn't shun it just because it was girly. Kids of a certain age are much less concerned with gender norms.

QUOTE(Old-skool @ May 9 2011, 03:13 PM) View Post
The show is by the same people who made Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab. So, I've got high hopes that it will be considered classic animation one day.

It's animated by the same people, yes, but I'm not sure who is writing and voice acting it.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Really, it's made by Craig McCracken?
I loved the old CN shows, now I have a reason to watch this!
Now I know why a lot of people like it so much.

Edited by Lynker, 09 May 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#6 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 9 2011, 05:31 PM) View Post
Heh, don't feel too embarrassed. I know more than one guy over age 30 who has watched this show and really likes it. icon_wink.gif Quite strange, but I may actually have to try it sometime, despite the cheesy title and the fact that it's My Little Pony. It'd be refreshingly ironic if it ended up being better quality than the multi-million dollar Transformers movie franchise.

That's the thing, though: it's almost NOT a My Little Pony series. Every element of it parodies and/or lampoons something from the old series. It gets as close to the borderline as any MLP series possibly could while still being canon.

And if you're talking Michael Bay, then that's not even a competition.

@Lynker, it's actually made by his wife, Lauren Faust. But the animation and writing teams are the same, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 09 May 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#7 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Oh my God, I was JUST about to make a topic about this like yesterday. I've been meaning to make a topic about My Little Pony actually.

So here's the thing. All my friends got into this series (we're all juniors in high school), and they ended up getting me into it. I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT THIS SHOW IS SO GOOD. Funny actually, statistics say that this series is mostly viewed by young men in their later teens. Yeah, as I said, I don't know why but this show is so... Yes I'm going to say it, enchanting. It sucks you in.

#8 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(trucky5 @ May 9 2011, 09:10 PM) View Post
Funny actually, statistics say that this series is mostly viewed by young men in their later teens.

Hence the fact that there is now an official word for us: bronies. We are no longer a statistic, we are a concept.

#9 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Me. (Actually, the guy's name is Dan. XD)

Silliness aside, when I heard from a friend that it was good, I was sceptical at first; until I actually had an episode or two shown to me. I haven't watched very many episodes, but it was actually enjoyable. Not sure when I'll go watch the others though. Goes to show that if you walk into something with an open mind, you could very well enjoy something you didn't think you would.

#10 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:41 AM

DON'T MIND ME WHILE I SHED MY MANLY TEARS

Seriously, why can't I stop watching this? D: It's hilariously addictive. I might start episode 3 soon, but then again, I'm still in the process of getting ready for work.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ May 9 2011, 03:39 PM) View Post
That's the thing, though: it's almost NOT a My Little Pony series. Every element of it parodies and/or lampoons something from the old series. It gets as close to the borderline as any MLP series possibly could while still being canon.

I'm not sure how much you need to know about the original series to appreciate when it is being lampooned, but regardless, this is sounding better and better. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ May 9 2011, 03:39 PM) View Post
And if you're talking Michael Bay, then that's not even a competition.

Hey, the first Transformers movie wasn't that bad. icon_frown.gif I found it fun.

Aaaaand that is the full extent of my willingness to defend a Michael Bay movie. So don't expect any further responses; I don't want to justify his ego any more than already thinks it is justified.

QUOTE(trucky5 @ May 9 2011, 07:10 PM) View Post
So here's the thing. All my friends got into this series (we're all juniors in high school), and they ended up getting me into it. I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT THIS SHOW IS SO GOOD. Funny actually, statistics say that this series is mostly viewed by young men in their later teens. Yeah, as I said, I don't know why but this show is so... Yes I'm going to say it, enchanting. It sucks you in.

Screw gender norms! "Enchanting" is a good thing.

I'm surprised to hear that it is popular among that gender, but given my anecdotal experience, I wouldn't be surprised to more guys who like it.

Actually, my main complaint (or "mane" complaint, hurr hurr) about the original MLP was that it was so incredibly commercialized. I realize Transformers was just as guilty of being designed to sell toys, but I didn't actually watch much Transformers, either -- I just owned a few of the toys and mostly ignored the show.

QUOTE(PowerGauntlets @ May 10 2011, 05:45 AM) View Post
Hence the fact that there is now an official word for us: bronies. We are no longer a statistic, we are a concept.

"Bronies"... Hail YES.

You have just single-handedly convinced me I need to watch this series. Bronies. Hurr. Let the "bro" jokes flow....

#12 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

I have no idea why this is so popular. I mean, it's got good animation and all that jazz, but it's still completely cheesy and I doubt a lot of boys in its marketed age range will go for it ("cutie marks?").

I mean, most children's shows are cheesy, but that's why we call them children's shows. icon_razz.gif

#13 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Ahem.. excuse me, I'm a little hoarse. I started watching this show a few days ago and now I'm absolutely glued to my TV. I think, it may be time for those of you who do not like this program to hoof it.

#14 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

^^^ I see what you did there icon_deformed.gif

Edited by trucky5, 10 May 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#15 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Lithium @ May 10 2011, 08:43 PM) View Post

Ahem.. excuse me, I'm a little hoarse. I started watching this show a few days ago and now I'm absolutely glued to my TV. I think, it may be time for those of you who do not like this program to hoof it.

I will punch you in the mouth. This is the worst thing. I hate you.

(Stop foaling around.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users