Photo

Backwards compatibility with updated quests?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flynn

Flynn

ZC Fan

• Members

Posted 27 May 2020 - 05:34 PM

Forgive maybe a dumb question, but I originally made a quest using 2.50 and updated it recently using 2.55. It now won't play in either 2.50 or 2.53. Is there something I can do to change this?

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:02 PM

Forgive maybe a dumb question, but I originally made a quest using 2.50 and updated it recently using 2.55. It now won't play in either 2.50 or 2.53. Is there something I can do to change this?

Once saved in 2.55, a quest is only compatible with 2.55+. You can take the old 2.50 quest and apply changes to it in 2.53 is you want it to be playable in 2.50.x, 2.53.x, and 2.55. 2.53.0 is the last version guaranteed to continue to save files that you can open in older 2.50.x versions. While the 2.53.1 betas do this, the final verdict for 2.53.1 release is undecided.

If you overwrote your only copy of the original quest, then it may be required to use 2.55 from this point onward, which gives you access to all of its features. I can, in theory, backport a quest, stripping all new data, but that isn't something that I would like to do unless you absolutely need it, and if your changes used even one 2.55 new feature, then that use would immediately be broken.

I have not tried to backstrip a quest since the tile pages expansion, so, writing a custom quest save routine to do that now would be a lot more difficult than it was two years ago.

Did you retain a copy/backup before committing changes?

#3 Flynn

Flynn

ZC Fan

• Members

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

Yes, I still have the original 2.50 version. And it would probably only take a few hours to redo the updates in 2.53. Dunno if it's worth it though. Are a bunch of players not updating to 2.55 for a reason?

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

It's hard to say cuz there's very, very few 2.55 quests out yet. A lot of quest makers aren't updating their current projects to 2.55 for various reasons (too far along, don't intend on using new features, don't want to use an unstable build, etc) but I haven't heard of anyone refusing to download 2.55 to play quests made in it. But then again, there aren't a lot of quests that require downloading it. :P

• Mani Kanina likes this

#5 Flynn

Flynn

ZC Fan

• Members

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:08 PM

Good info. Thanks, peeps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users