Astronomy

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#166 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

The eclipse was really cool. I didn't take any pictures cause they wouldn't look very good on a phone camera with no way to adjust the amount of light let in.

It got cloudy for about 15 minutes before and after the maximum, but you could still mostly see through the clouds with the eclipse glasses. It definitely got darker, not night time dark, but darker than it usually is around 2. The clouds went away as the sun became more exposed, and the temperature change was quite noticable once the sun came back.

10/10 would watch again.
  • Eddy and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#167 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

I was able to see the eclipse as well. From where I was, it was only about 90% eclipse, but it was still awesome to watch! I was a bit worried at first because there were thunderstorms developing, but thankfully as the temperature cooled the storms dissipated and we were able to see the eclipse at its maximum and thereafter.

Now I'm patiently waiting for the total solar eclipse in 2024, where I'll be able to see totality from where I live in Indiana! :)

• Anthus likes this

#168 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:40 AM

I remember taking astronomy in college. Something weird about space photos is that if you look at them the wrong way craters (depressions) will look like bubbles (protrusions). Sometimes you have to look away and refocus your eyes to see them correctly.

#169 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

Not sure if anyone has seen this before, but:

Also link to the website: http://universesandbox.com

I think this is really cool. It looks like you can do so much in it, like change the size and mass of planets, make the sun a black hole, and whatever else you can think of! :D

It's an application on Steam, btw, and I belive it is in its early access phase.

• Anthus and Eddy like this

#170 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

I got this game quite a while ago and it is a lot of fun. I've actually created a small star constellation (with no shape in mind though) involving about 5 stars of different shapes and colours (accidentally destroyed a ton of planets in the process though...)

I haven't gone back to it in a while, but I should definitely play it again. I recommend it for those who like to mess around with simulations and stuff, there's a lot of crazy stuff you can find and make with this :P

• Shane and David like this

#171 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

That sequel to No Man's Sky looks sweet :D

No but seriously, that's cool. I might check it out if I can run it.

#172 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

The  observation of Sun polar magnetic field and first forecasts for the solar cycle n°25 , 138 pages for who love this matter  :

http://www.leif.org/...-prediction.pdf

#173 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

even this year the statoshere is pretty clean, i'm surprised, due the  many vulcanic eruption i belived it will be more dirt

twostratospheres_strip.png

#174 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:15 PM

ESA's Gaia space telescope recently completed the highest resolution image of our galaxy ever taken so far. The images were released back in April. You can even find an insanely large 40k by 20k image!

http://sci.esa.int/g...axy-and-beyond/

http://sci.esa.int/g...-sky-in-colour/

http://sci.esa.int/g...lar-projection/

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#175 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:51 PM

i just read the latest news on Jupiter, seem  it have 3 magnetic poles ! if the news are true, it have a extra magnetic pole  near the equator and have the polarity of a South pole.

• peteandwally likes this

#176 hideous_kojima

hideous_kojima

• Members

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:49 AM

Astronomy insists upon curing humankind of our short-sightedness, small-mindedness and solipsism, and so it is one of our greatest treasures. One can hardly think of a more worthy intellectual pursuit! Good luck in it!

#177 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

few days from now and the New Horizons will reach Ultima Thule, I don't expect spectacular images, but i hope to be surprised just  like few years ago whit Pluto . Anyway we will know in less than a week !

• peteandwally likes this

#178 Linkrulehyrule21

Linkrulehyrule21

Masterlink

• Members

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

I'm partly writing this because I need to get up to 10 posts but SPACE IS SO COOOLLL! (Insert markiplier video) also I've heard this thing saying "oh we only know like 5% of our ocean while we know more about the entire universe in general" is completely wrong since they didn't take into account that most of the universe is dark matter that we know hardly anything, if nothing about. plus I'm also pretty sure that the 5% of our ocean has gone up considerably in the last 10 years as have advancements in technology. 

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#179 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:48 AM

and technically, the ocean is part of space anyway.

#180 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

In any case, knowing little about the ocean isn't a reason not to learn about space. Some people are ocean-interested, some are space-interested. No use forcing space-interested people to study an ocean they don't have an interest in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users