2.55 Interface

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NikoPalad67140

NikoPalad67140

• Members

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:03 AM

Hey guys!

This is my first post on the forums and I wanted to ask you : how is it going with the 2.55 interface?

• Lightwulf likes this

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:49 PM

I think this question threw me for a bit of a loop.  What do you know of a 2.55 interface that's different from a 2.53 interface?  Why is this specifically about 2.55 and not another version?  What is the nature of the question exactly?

• Lightwulf likes this

#3 NikoPalad67140

NikoPalad67140

• Members

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:11 AM

The thing is the following : I searched for the Rules in the Quest menu at the toolbar. When I first opened it in 2.55, the Rules weren't in an own category, but below the Header, Pick Ruleset and Map Count. And now this category is labelled "Options".

The question I wanted to ask is if you have any issues with the 2.55 interface.

• Lightwulf likes this

#4 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:35 PM

2.55 is in active development so things can change from one version to the next. I haven't seen any bugs with the interface. Otherwise I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

• Lightwulf likes this

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

We changed some menus to better reflect their purpose, and content. The Options menu does not only contain rules, so, renaming it to Options made sense.

Other new menus tend to have content only applicable to their title. When that changes, the menu title, or the sub-menu title changes to reflect that.

Our hope is that the changes are intuitive. I originally hardcoded the ZC menu to appear left of File, but that was to apply a very specific UI design philosophy (that I have used sine 1983) where the programme menu appears first, then File, then Edit, then other options. Due to complaints over that change, I added a setting to put the ZC menu on the extreme left, or the extreme right. I feel that people would get used to such a change intuitively over time, but in the short-term, I can se ho it might be annoying 

There are also constraints on size. All menu titles must fit in the width of the programme window, and all selections and submenus must fit within the height of the programme window; small mode complicates this, requiring us to code menus to fit its UI, and all still be functional, thus maintaining two entirely different menu systems. The large interface has priority, and IMO, better organisation, but if people use small mode, then all of the menu elements are still there, albeit perhaps in different places, due to not having enough vertical space to fit all of them in the window.

Specifically, we renamed Rules to Options because elements such as Map Count moved into that selection, so that they continue to fit within the UI space of both modes. The old menu became too large (tall) to be functional in small mode, and people demand for us to maintain support for that mode. 

• ShadowTiger, Shane and Lightwulf like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users