Windows 8: My thoughts so far

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

I just got my copy of Windows 8 Pro a few days ago, And now its time for a review yes a review of a Operating system. lets start with the boxing of the product.

The Box review
IPB Image
Now I have to say the boxing is quite simplistic. yet effective in design. I actually love how this looks
And on top of that its pretty small. kinda like a jewel CD case. which makes it easy for putting it up some where.
unlike Windows vista's and Windows 7's box's.

Now the score, 5/5

Now to skip the unboxing and get to the installing of the Operating system.

The Install
I was eager to start the install so I stuck that sucker in began the install. I was met with the normal white bar showing that windows was loading.
After 5-10 minutes it was at the Setup screen.
Now I went ahead and clicked next. and I met the please insert product key to continue.
Now thats the first time since Windows XP I had to insert the product key to continue at this point. I guess that's nice.

Well after that It started installing. the install it self went quite fast. only another 7 minutes. and it was already asking me my user name and what color I wanted the Start screen to be.
I choose my Favorite color blue. and I was met by a little like video explaining the mouse gestures and how to access charms bar.
after that nice little display. I was at the start screen (That was fast my computer was already ready to use. only 30 so minutes.)

Now my final thoughts on this is amazement. it was easy and done very fast. I'm very happy on how fast it went.

Now the score 5/5

Exploring the OS
When you start you are met by the start screen Formally Metro icon_razz.gif

IPB Image
Now when I saw this for the first time I was confused... so I'm wondering what the hell (That's when it was first released under a release preveiw).
But now to say this is the home screen for Windows 8. and it seems its hear to stay. I'm not complaining about it though. I like it.

You can Pin and launch programs and Windows store apps from this area.
But You say wheres the rest of the programs? Well you can right click on the screen and a bar comes up on the bottom. and you have to click "all apps" and a big list of apps comes up.
And there you can see all the apps you all know. but lets say you don't to do all that to find a program...
Just on the start screen, Start typing and windows will bring up search. and lets say I need word pad. all have to do is type in word.
And it brings up the WordPad on the app's screen. and all you do click it and you have opened up wordpad. yay.

its pretty simple. and has some quite customization functions. You almost pin anything to you new start menu.
just right click on anything and click Pin to start and there you go you have something new on the start screen.

Now my final thoughts on this, is its quite neat. and it works, Its just strange not having the old start menu. but its not too bad.

Now for the score 4.6/5

Desktop Time!!
Once you click the the desktop Tile on the start screen you are at a familial place
Desktop

Now that's a shot of what mine looks like. its the same as windows 7 and vista.
just missing that start start button icon_neutral.gif oh well who cares anyways?

Everything is about the same with the explorer on windows 8. except now windows now has a ribbon on windows (That's sounds funny)
Ribbon

Its now like Microsoft Office... But its not bad. I just hid it by minimizing the Ribbon.

Now I say Everything on 8's desktop is the same as 7. so theres not much to see... {User Says} Wait What about the start menu Ven?.
Oh year I forgot to say. To acess the start screen, you have to move to the lower left corner of the screen and you click there and you go back to the Start screen. That's pretty easy to find... yep...

Final thoughts on desktop, It works thats all I can say. But I will say having the Start screen thing hidden in the lower left corner is quite annoying. but not so bad when you get used to it.

Now the score 5/5

Now to the price!

The price for this wonderful OS only cost me $69.99 this was one of the cheapest windows OS's I have ever bought.
And if you buy Online you can get it for $39.99. even better. and you can a much better deal if you bought a windows 7 PC and you signed up for the $14.99 Upgrade. which is even cheaper...

Why is this Windows so cheap you ask... I don't know don't ask me. I'm not asking questions about the great price. I guess they just want people to like this os.

---------------------------
Pro's and cons

Pros-
Easy and fast to set up.
Very fast and pretty interface.
included Antivirus (Windows Defender)
Pretty much everything icon_razz.gif
And PRICE Its cheap

Con's
Takes a while to get used to.
The apps are slow on dial up for me... except the weather app works really well.

Final score! 5/5

I hope you enjoyed reading this review. if you want to discuss go ahead

#2 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

It's cheap because it's a big experiment and they want to hear peoples feedback. They won't say it's an experiment though and will try to sweep this under the rug with the next Windows release that will feature a $200 price tag.

#3 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Nov 2 2012, 06:47 AM) View Post

It's cheap because it's a big experiment and they want to hear peoples feedback. They won't say it's an experiment though and will try to sweep this under the rug with the next Windows release that will feature a $200 price tag.

I don't it's because of a experiment. I think its most likely because of all the bad feed back when it was announced. and they wanted people to give it a try. Thus the cheap price.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

The pricing is an attempt to rival Apple, whose past three major OS releases have been $30, $30, and $20.

They did something similar with Windows 7 for students and people getting a new PC at the time of its release. The lower price tag on Windows 8 also will not be around forever.

#5 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Nov 2 2012, 12:35 PM) View Post

The pricing is an attempt to rival Apple, whose past three major OS releases have been $30, $30, and $20.

Really? Apple's last three OS's has been around those price's?. hmm... figures you get what you pay for, a operating system that sucks. [/MacOShater]

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Nov 2 2012, 06:50 PM) View Post

Really? Apple's last three OS's has been around those price's?. hmm... figures you get what you pay for, a operating system that sucks. [/MacOShater]

No, actually, it's that Microsoft has no idea what an operative system should be sold for. Which is why I have never owned a computer that hasn't had a pirated Windows-copy. But no, Apple's isn't cheap because it's somehow not as good. I still prefer Windows though, but 8 is a pile of shit.

And a 5/5 is a fanboy's rating, and you know it. icon_razz.gif

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Nov 2 2012, 01:06 PM) View Post

No, actually, it's that Microsoft has no idea what an operative system should be sold for. Which is why I have never owned a computer that hasn't had a pirated Windows-copy. But no, Apple's isn't cheap because it's somehow not as good. I still prefer Windows though, but 8 is a pile of shit.

Well I'm sure Microsoft has an idea of what the price of their operating system should be, that's why that piece of shit Windows 7 cost me $199 and does not even work :V
At least with 8 being cheap it does run. Which is something Windows 7 should'v done. but it didn't.
So in comparison Windows 7 is indeed the pile of shit while 8 is the winner here. (my opinion).

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Nov 2 2012, 01:06 PM) View Post

Oh come on don't start with that fanboy crap. I rated Windows 8 5/5 because I like it and its one of best windows OS's I've used since Window 98.
Which shows I'm not a Windows fanboy. If I was indeed a fanboy I would've loved the other Windows OS's but I clearly only liked 2 so far.
The rest are just Filler OS's until the good release's come out like Windows 7 was the filler for me until I got a 8.

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Nov 2 2012, 07:18 PM) View Post

Well I'm sure Microsoft has an idea of what the price of their operating system should be, that's why that piece of shit Windows 7 cost me $199 and does not even work :V
At least with 8 being cheap it does run. Which is something Windows 7 should'v done. but it didn't.
So in comparison Windows 7 is indeed the pile of shit while 8 is the winner here. (my opinion).
Oh come on don't start with that fanboy crap. I rated Windows 8 5/5 because I like it and its one of best windows OS's I've used since Window 98.
Which shows I'm not a Windows fanboy. If I was indeed a fanboy I would've loved the other Windows OS's but I clearly only liked 2 so far.
The rest are just Filler OS's until the good release's come out like Windows 7 was the filler for me until I got a 8.

You do realize it's been less than a month since you were on IRC praising Windows 7 up into the sky, while at the same time talking down on Windows 8, right?

Seriously Ventus, all I'm saying here is that you're giving this OS a 'full score'. Regardless what you're reviewing, a full score should always be reserved for the very best, and while I'm a Windows-fan, I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone honestly thinks that Windows 8 is the best, the end-all of operating systems. What I'm saying is that I think you might be fooling yourself. We do that when we get excited over something new... it's normal.

Maybe I'm wrong, but... I know you, Ventus. Maybe a little too well. icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Just throwing this quote out there. One of many:
Right now as it stands Windows 8 will suck...
And its a shame that it'll will. I mean after using it for awhile it is faster then windows 7. But the interface is giving me depression...
I'm assuming I don't have to tell you who said that.

#9 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Edit to reply to your edit: Yes I know that was me, But I was being stupid back then. Stuck in the glory of windows 7 while it was still working half ass.

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Nov 2 2012, 03:13 PM) View Post

You do realize it's been less than a month since you were on IRC praising Windows 7 up into the sky, while at the same time talking down on Windows 8, right?

Well that's when I first got windows 7 it was the first few hours of me using it... After about 2 days Windows 7 started messing up. I couldn't find what was problem. and I decided that it was the problem and not my computer.

Seriously Ventus, all I'm saying here is that you're giving this OS a 'full score'. Regardless what you're reviewing, a full score should always be reserved for the very best, and while I'm a Windows-fan, I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone honestly thinks that Windows 8 is the best, the end-all of operating systems. What I'm saying is that I think you might be fooling yourself. We do that when we get excited over something new... it's normal.

I get what your saying, But I gave it a full score for it actually being the first decent Microsoft OS that I have tried that has run just perfect out of the box.
And it runs Fast use's less ram games run better on it. the interface is quite nicer then all the other Windows OS's.
There's not much else to say, I think Windows 8 is the best (Sounds crazy I know but I think it is). I've honestly never been excited for an OS since Windows 2000... Which sucked... But with windows 8 after using the Windows 8 CP It ran good. no problems and all my programs worked. And with my computer only having 2GB's of ram. the ram management on 8 is better then all of the Windows OS's before it. so when I see my computer is only using about 384MB's of ram on sitting on the desktop That's pretty good to me.

Now I might be fooling myself But I do believe Windows 8 is one of the best Windows OS's so far.

Maybe I'm wrong, but... I know you, Ventus. Maybe a little too well. icon_razz.gif

Um... You might be wrong or you might not be. I'm not sure. How would you know me too well?

Edited by Ventus, 02 November 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Nov 2 2012, 09:29 PM) View Post

Well that's when I first got windows 7 it was the first few hours of me using it... After about 2 days Windows 7 started messing up. I couldn't find what was problem. and I decided that it was the problem and not my computer.
I get what your saying, But I gave it a full score for it actually being the first decent Microsoft OS that I have tried that has run just perfect out of the box.
And it runs Fast use's less ram games run better on it. the interface is quite nicer then all the other Windows OS's.
There's not much else to say, I think Windows 8 is the best (Sounds crazy I know but I think it is). I've honestly never been excited for an OS since Windows 2000... Which sucked... But with windows 8 after using the Windows 8 CP It ran good. no problems and all my programs worked. And with my computer only having 2GB's of ram. the ram management on 8 is better then all of the Windows OS's before it. so when I see my computer is only using about 384MB's of ram on sitting on the desktop That's pretty good to me.

Now I might be fooling myself But I do believe Windows 8 is one of the best Windows OS's so far.
Um... You might be wrong or you might not be. I'm not sure. How would you know me too well?

First off, you decided that it was the OS' fault? Thousands of people use Windows 7 flawlessly every day, so it probably wasn't that, but rather your computer, which of course is unique, compared to the piece of software it's running. I don't care what the problem was, but you can't just decide to blame Microsoft.

Secondly, you do not give the highest rating 'because it works right out of the box'. It's supposed to work right out of the box, you don't praise Microsoft for delivering a working product! You lower the score if it doesn't work right out of the box, but never the other way around. It's like rating a game 10/10 because it didn't crash when you booted it up. It's not supposed to crash when you boot it up, and sure, it's good that it doesn't, but once again, if that's why it gets a full score, you're doing this whole review-thing wrong.

In fact, all I'm hearing here is that 'it looks nice' and 'it doesn't have any problems' and 'all the programs work'. These things are essential, but they're not what makes an OS 'the best so far'. You haven't convinced me why it's better, you're just saying that it's not bad.

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal out of a petty score, but... I don't know, it's OCD or something - it just bothers me, I guess. Point is, I think you're evaluating all the wrong things here. I'd love to get a serious review from you, but this ain't it.

Edit: Also, I know you too well because when I was pretending to be a girl, you and I had lots of really interesting conversations. Fun times, fun times. XD

#11 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Congrats. You have won. I suck at reviewing, I'm backing down. I'm obviously out matched here.
If you want a serious why don't you type one yourself (Even though I gave a serious review) I don't know what else to say really icon_shrug.gif.

Edited by Ventus, 03 November 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Nov 2 2012, 09:47 PM) View Post

Congrats. You have won. I suck at reviewing, I'm backing down. I'm obviously out matched here.
If you want a serious why don't you type one yourself (Even though I gave a serious review) I don't know what else to say really icon_shrug.gif.

Edit; And would you let that go... It wasn't my fault you was acting like a woman. You confused me with your transgender antics.

Ouch. Didn't mean it like that bro, sorry if I hurt you. I'm not saying you suck at reviewing - anyone can write a good review. My wording was poorly chosen here, what I meant is that I think the evaluation process you used was off. It's not about being outmatched though. At the publication I work, we do this all the time. Picking apart each other's reviews is a great way to learn better ways of doing things. My point is that I didn't want to make you feel bad, and I'm sorry if I did. icon_frown.gif

And the girl thing was a joke, but you can be sure you weren't the only one who were fooled. I do believe Jared went straight on me for a few moments... as I said, fun times. icon_razz.gif

#13 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Oh I know you didn't mean anything Migokalle icon_razz.gif Yeah I know my evaluation process was a little off but its what I do think about windows 8. I think 8 Is just a Win.
Well Next time I'll try a little bit better then I did here. I now see what poor reviewing gets me. Thanks. You pointed out some of things I that I might have done wrong and I'll try to improve.

And I know the girl thing was a joke... But its embarrassing, There some things I don't want to talk about anymore... And that's one of them >.<.

#14 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

So wait, I don't get it. What exactly has improved between Windows 7 and 8?

#15 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

PC Magazine: 5 Reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 8

That ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users