• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

I've looked everywhere, but I just CAN'T find an answer!
I made tiles for a member here named Dogs. I saved it the first time in the wrong format by accident, and it's just a file. No extensions.
When I try to delete it, it tells me the file cannot be found. If I try to send it to a compressed ZIP or send it to the recycling in, it says it can't be found. I can't even rename it. Can someone please help? icon_frown.gif

#2 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Apr 30 2011, 03:27 PM) View Post
I've looked everywhere, but I just CAN'T find an answer!
I made tiles for a member here named Dogs. I saved it the first time in the wrong format by accident, and it's just a file. No extensions.
When I try to delete it, it tells me the file cannot be found. If I try to send it to a compressed ZIP or send it to the recycling in, it says it can't be found. I can't even rename it. Can someone please help? icon_frown.gif

I've had this problem before, mostly with leftover files from Japanese program installations. :/ Here's something you might try:

1. Create a folder.
2. Drag the file into the empty new folder.
3. Delete the folder.

This MIGHT work. Obviously, you need to be able to move the file for this to work.

Another alternative: remove all other files from the folder where it resides, then delete that folder with the stubborn file within it. Then recreate the folder and move all the other files back into it. This may upset certain programs though, depending on whether anything is installed in that folder, so only try it as a last resort.

Obviously a file you can't delete is annoying, but is it causing any other problems by its presence?

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:17 PM

None of those worked. I can't move it, delete the folder it's in, it's so annoying!
It's not doing anything but sitting there, taking up space worth 0 bytes :\

#4 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

Anything here helpful? http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320081

#5 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

I had a similar problem once. I had a ZQuest tutorial folder that I had downloaded onto my desktop. After a few days of using it, I moved it into my Zelda Classic folder, but an empty folder named "ZC Tutorial" remained on my desktop. I couldn't delete it, and I would always get an error message (I don't remember what it said). Every once in a while, I would try to delete the folder again. No luck. Finally after a few month I managed to delete it. I don't know how, but that worked for me. If it's still there after a while and it's not causing problems, just do what I did.

*No guarantees this will work for you*

#6 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

Try restarting your computer and trying again. This would be more likely to help if it thought the file was in use, but it's worth a try. If not then what Fefe said has worked for me, the only problem is that it takes a very long time. icon_razz.gif

#7 Chakaa

Chakaa

Hench 4 Life

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ May 1 2011, 01:08 AM) View Post

If not then what Fefe said has worked for me, the only problem is that it takes a very long time. icon_razz.gif

It was about 5-6 months before I finally deleted it. Does anybody know why this happens? (Not the stubborn file, I mean being able to delete it after a while)

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(Ornlu @ May 1 2011, 01:08 AM) View Post

Try restarting your computer and trying again. This would be more likely to help if it thought the file was in use, but it's worth a try. If not then what Fefe said has worked for me, the only problem is that it takes a very long time. icon_razz.gif

I've had the file for a week or two now icon_frown.gif

#9 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

Here's a program that makes it so that you can take administrative control of stubborn files. I've actually used it a few times in the past.
Take Control
Let me know if you are able to use it, and if it takes care of your problem. icon_biggrin.gif

#10 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:51 AM

It didn't work. It just cleans my registry thing, and I gotta pay for it :L

#11 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

Hmm, well then that's not the program I meant to link to.... icon_frown.gif I'll look around again, and get the correct program. The one I meant to link to you, was one that can make it so that you can delete any file you want from your computer, even a System File. O_o I know, scary.

EDIT: Ok, I found it. TakeControlNow Yeah, I searched the wrong name before. Just be careful with it. icon_smile.gif

#12 Dark Nation

Dark Nation

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

Try this. Make a folder somewhere else on the hard drive and copy all of the other contents of the folder with the bad file into it. Then, delete the original folder.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE(Dark Nation @ May 1 2011, 12:13 AM) View Post
Try this. Make a folder somewhere else on the hard drive and copy all of the other contents of the folder with the bad file into it. Then, delete the original folder.

I think I remembered incorrectly before. What Dark Nation is suggesting sounds closer to the thing I tried that worked. icon_smile.gif Try it if you haven't.

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Angeal @ May 1 2011, 02:05 AM) View Post

Hmm, well then that's not the program I meant to link to.... icon_frown.gif I'll look around again, and get the correct program. The one I meant to link to you, was one that can make it so that you can delete any file you want from your computer, even a System File. O_o I know, scary.

EDIT: Ok, I found it. TakeControlNow Yeah, I searched the wrong name before. Just be careful with it. icon_smile.gif

I got the program, went to the file, and tried to add it to that list to delete it. But guess what it says?

"Dogs" cannot be found!

#15 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Wait...you can't even delete the folder it's in? That's a bit bizarre...

Can you use the program Angeal suggested to delete the folder? I don't know how it works, so I'm not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users