Oh, and it won't run 2.10. icon_wink.gif

That's the one ultimate evil with Windows Vista. icon_biggrin.gif

#17 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy)
  • 2. Dialogue boxes don't pop up to delete a file, and if they did you wouldn't get multiple ones. They pop up when installing something or messing with system files. OS X and Linux have the same annoying security-feature. If you don't like it, turn it off. Not too difficult.

I'm speaking from experience here. On several of our Vista systems, whenever I try to delete a file, any file at all, I have to confirm it twice.
I'm sure you can disable that, but the point is that Microsoft seems to consider it a security feature. It's not.

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy)
  • 3. Why should they keep the UI exactly the same? Only an idiot would switch to another OS if they wanted the exact same thing as before. Also, if Vista is too hard for you to adjust to from XP...well, LOL SIR.

The first rule of good interface design is consistency. If users are used to something being a certain way, don't do something different without a good reason. As far as I can see, they had no good reason for most of the changes they made. One can adjust to the differences in Vista, but there's simply no reason they should have to.

#18 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Feb 11 2008, 01:13 PM) View Post

I didn't say anything about running Vista on incompatible computers, I said show me some XP-based software that won't run in Vista. icon_wink.gif

That Game was designed for xp so it is xp base software, and my computer is not a vista incompatible computer, actually it was made for vista, I cant get drivers for all my hardware because I upgraded to Xp icon_wink.gif Yes upgraded

#19 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Feb 11 2008, 06:47 PM) View Post
Oh, and it won't run 2.10. icon_wink.gif

IPB Image
You were saying?
There's this thing on your mouse called a "button". If you move the cursor over the icon and click that "button" it will run. I know its difficult at first, but seriously, its helpful.

Edited by Mr. Pimpy, 11 February 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#20 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Feb 11 2008, 12:29 PM) View Post
I love Vista, personally, and would cut off a finger before I'd go back to slow, crappy, freeze-happy XP.

I have had my 3 XP's for about 3 years each, and my brother had his vista for about 5 days, and his froze about 20 times, and my XP's have probably froze about 3 or 4 times each. i dont have any problem with freezing.

#21 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Pregnant_Cow @ Feb 11 2008, 08:39 PM) View Post

I have had my 3 XP's for about 3 years each, and my brother had his vista for about 5 days, and his froze about 20 times, and my XP's have probably froze about 3 or 4 times each. i dont have any problem with freezing.

Rarely did they for me too, so let me rephrase that. Vista can't freeze. Programs can, but it doesn't escalate to the whole system slowing to a halt like it did in XP. Also when you want to close a non-responive program it closes, instead of like in XP where it would stall for several minutes and finally exit.
Also, enlighten me on what kind of computer your bro has. icon_wink.gif

#22 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Feb 11 2008, 04:21 PM) View Post

IPB Image
You were saying?
There's this thing on your mouse called a "button". If you move the cursor over the icon and click that "button" it will run. I know its difficult at first, but seriously, its helpful.

O_o How the heck did you get it to run? Whenever I try to pull it up, it says there's an error.

EDIT: Is that a beta build? I can get those to run, just not 2.10.

Edited by LostInHyru1e, 11 February 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#23 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Feb 11 2008, 07:34 PM) View Post

EDIT: Is that a beta build? I can get those to run, just not 2.10.

It says "ZQuest v2.10" right there.

My mom's lappy is Vista, and has not crashed once. It runs Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 (an XP SPECIFIC program, does not run on Win2k or below as far as I know) just fine. She won't bother with ZC, but other than that, I see no trouble whatsoever. It really is the 3rd party hardware makers not cooperating with Microsoft to even look at the underlying kernel's basic structure to figure out where to put things for driver compatibility.

But yes, MS does have a little bit of, "even if it's broken, fix it anyway." Bill Gates was heard mentioning that he thinks Windows sucks though... and that says something.

http://gizmodo.com/3...y-windows-sucks

I bet he now uses Linux. icon_razz.gif

#24 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Somewhat Friendly Reminder: This isn't a Debate Forum thread - however there seem to be indications that trolling or flaming could be possible. Please be careful what you say - flamebaiting will not be tolerated.

My experience with Home Premium runnning on a 2Ghz Core Duo machine with 2GB of RAM was not good. Neither was trying to troubleshoot a guy's brand-new and once-replaced Vista Ultimate machine (AMD64x2, not sure what processor speed, but it did have 3GB of RAM) that would simply not run the latest version of Quicken (not to mention Doom 3, or The Sims 2, or Counterstrike.)

As to my reference of things "being moved around," I was referring to things like control panels, contextual menu items, and assorted various settings that are no longer where they had always been since Windows 98. Or, they have been renamed rather cryptically. In addition I have edited my previous post to mention that there are 4 consumer-oriented versions of Vista. Enterprise has yet to be widely adopted (especially with OS X Leopard/Leopard Server and various distrubutions of Linux available with greater compatibility and speed and lower cost and higher reliablility) and did not seem to be worth mention.

#25 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy)
Vista can't freeze.

icon_lol.gif

It most certainly can. Indeed, Vista itself is software, and is thus prone to the same kinds of problems as ANY software. A glitch is a glitch; it is present in and has the same effect on any piece of software.

#26 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Feb 11 2008, 03:21 PM) View Post

IPB Image
You were saying?

How on Earth did you get it to work!? Tell me! Please. icon_puppyeyes.gif

#27 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

I clicked the download button.
I installed it.
I double clicked the icons and ran the programs.

If that doesn't work you could try right clicking and telling it to run under XP SP1 or 2, though I've never had to do this. If that doesn't work idk what to tell you.

(Did I somehow receive some sort of magical version of Vista with no compatibility problems? icon_deformed.gif)

#28 The (s)

The (s)

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

Never tried vista yet, but I would like one computer with vista on it and the other XP.

#29 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:41 PM

Mr. Pimpy what version of Vista did you get?

#30 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

Home Premium, the one under Ultimate. P:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users