Problems with my old comp

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

It is possible to combine the 2 partitions but the program isn't cheap. I personally use partition magic. But there are others that some othe members here may know of. They have the ability to combine those without disturbing the current windows install.

Now, depending on what you want, Norton can cost anywhere from $35 to $125. You can find it online at www.symantec.com.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Dial up, DSL, or Cable?

#17 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

He actually gave me the cd with the program for the partition I'll have to look for it (and actually while taking a quick look I discovered the cd to windows 98se so no problem there) And unfortunately I have dial up but I will be getting a cable connection in a couple months.

Edited by KHRiku, 11 January 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#18 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

Do you have a flash drive?

If you do and it works with 98, back up your stuff to there. Then you can run an FDISK to combine the partitions the right way.

The fact that you have dial up only means you really don't need a firewall.
I use DSL so I have both.

Do you know what the difference is between an antivirus and a virus scanner?

#19 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

Well I don't have drivers for flash drives and can't seem to get them installed so no my flash drive won't work with it even though I know it works with 98se because my brother has it and I have used it on his. I don't really know the difference between antivirus and virus scanners.

#20 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Ok.
Virus spyware scanners only scan for viruses when you run them manually.
They scan and find these things on your hard drive, then give you the option to remove them.

Antiviruses contually run in the background and prevent viruses and spyware from coming through in the first place.
Symantec actually finds, tells you, and removes them for you.

It's a shame that your flash drive doesn't like 98. Ever thought of upgrading to 2000 or XP?

#21 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Well my flash drive does work with 98 its just my computer does have the drivers. We had a computer that had XP but the hard drive died in it a few days ago thats what prompted me to connect this one to the internet and led to this whole mess. Before all this I just used this computer for Zelda Classic and my work at school. I don't know if my computer meets the requirements for 2000 or xp though.

#22 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

Come to think of it. You're right. The CPU is too slow.

Well, once you get the space of the partition increased you shouldn't have an issue with installing an antivirus.

#23 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

I actually managed to install it. I just put it on D:. I might just have to see about getting a new computer though. I've had this one for awhile and I'll likely still keep it but I think I really need a new computer of my own. Thanks for your help today Rocksfan. I'll see about getting the partitions fixed up and just reinstalling 98se since I found the cd because I can back up everything else anyways.

#24 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

Well, the minimum requirements for XP are at least 233Mhz CPU, 64Mb of RAM and 1.5 Gb of space on the Hard Drive.

So you might be able to get away with XP on that thing. But I would upgrade it if you can, because it'll run sluggish.

And you're very welcome. icon_wink.gif

#25 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

Windows 98se might not install on a partition that is over 32GB in size. So be careful. It doesn't support any other filesystems for larger disks (like NTFS in Windows NT, Windows 2000, XP, and Vista do.)

edit: I know that it is possible to get NTFS functionality in Win98, but it doesn't work when installing from the install disc if the disc is older than the update.

#26 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

If I remember correctly, there was either a service pack or service release of Win98SE that supported NTFS.

Speaking from the studies of someone who continues his studies to become A+ certified, I have a book for reference.

#27 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:25 AM

uh, setup files extract (decompress) them selves onto your C:\ in a temporary folder before running. it ALWAYS does that.

#28 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

Well if its true it might not install on over 32gb setting the partition for windows for even say 15gb would assure that memory wouldn't be an issue because I save everything on d: anyway. In fact wouldn't even need that much I just have too little(100mb now). But setup files for something say 20mb shouldn't take like 80 or 100 megabytes in the temporary folder should it? Thats whats odd about the whole thing.

#29 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Anyone thought about the page file in Windows? Maybe that's what's causing the trouble?

#30 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

That's what we talked about earlier. Virtual memory = paging file.

Even when the system is not using all of your real, physical RAM, it still uses some virtual memory just as a placeholder for anything that may immediately need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users