Photo

Screenshot of the Week 506

Twilight-Prince Moosh Avataro ywkls Demonlink ZeldaPlayer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 506 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

ZeldaPlayer
ZeldaPlayer.png
Good old Grasslands, or Forests. Whatever.

Twilight-Prince
Twilight-Prince.png
The first room of Kul'ata Temple, a structure deep in the jungle where ancient folk worshiped the Sun and Moon. What mysteries and dangers await inside...?

Moosh
Moosh.png
Yup, I'm submitting a base screen from another contest. Because the show must go on!

Another standard GB screen. I'm very unsure about the grass patches and ground detailing.

ywkls
ywkls.png
Link soon realizes that he's probably not supposed to be in here right now. But that treasure box is so tempting...

Demonlink
Demonlink.png
Demonlink: "Smile for SotW 506 Link!"
Link: "Quick! Because I don't want to fall!"

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

I voted Moosh. There's a certain charm in that shot that I like.

This week is really good. Full of interesting and well-designed shots.

#3 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Something about Twilight-prince screenshot ~ I love the ground and the pillars - it is starting to look a bit on the rpg maker 2003 side a bits.

the ground and pillars Anyways, almost nearly inner computer-chip like.*  

Spoiler
  ^Alsos i am thinking abouts it now.'

Moosh's screen shot slightly resembles the .qst TRIFORCE in the quests section library here. 

Also ZeldaPlayer also stands out to me mostly because the design of the tiles mostly deem most unique to me.

The rest are no surprise and i have seen them before - i truthfully think the more skilled screenshot makers  should go ahead and do something 'a bit more creative and wild' than constantly living off the old Dogma of SNES Zeldas / GBC Zelda graphics.

They are not really much of a surprise to me - originality/wild new ideas win over me the most.

In order to stand a better chance for a higher vote next time arounds.

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 03 May 2015 - 06:38 PM.

• Twilight-Prince, Mero and Matthew like this

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

Didn't vote because I entered this week. So let's talk about everybody else, shall we?

ZeldaPlayer- I think that has to be the most green I've ever seen in a screenshot. I really like the enemies, and the Armos statue, and what looks like a small tree or bush of a different design. Otherwise... did I mention that it is really, really green?

Twilight-Prince= This screen is dark. So dark I can't really see a lot of detail. The floor tile design and grass areas in the dungeon are a nice touch. I can't really say much else because... well, it's too dark for me to make out.

Moosh- I really liked this screenshot whenever I saw it as the base shot for the upcoming Screenshot Challenge Accepted. That being said, wouldn't it have made more sense to make it in another tileset? After all, we've already seen this shot and I don't think that you can enter in a contest that you and Russ are basically in charge of. Then again, I've been wrong before.

Avataro- I have to say that the best thing I see about this screen is the guy in the baseball cap. Otherwise, nothing stands out.

Demonlink- I feel like I've seen this screenshot before somewhere... it is pretty nice. Nothing stands out though.

If I had to vote, it would probably go to Moosh if I didn't vote for my own. This shot feel like it is part of a much larger quest, which I now want to know more about. 

• Twilight-Prince likes this

#5 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

I don't really feel like saying my reasons, but I voted for Twilight-Prince

#6 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

If I was able to vote, I'd have a tough choice between Avataro and Demonlink's. These all look good, though!

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

I found it a very tough choice between Zeldaplayer, Avataro, and Moosh this time around.

I ended up voting for Avataro because this is a really amazing and solid overworld screen designed by a guy who claims he cannot make overworld screens. I seriously couldn't have possibly done better myself. 

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 03 May 2015 - 09:59 PM.

• Avaro likes this

#8 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:32 AM

This is a pretty tough week... again, so many good screens.

ZeldaPlayer - Looks like a really neat forest shot. The only thing that looks a bit weird is the ladder since it seems to extend into the ground or something from the top.

Twilight-Prince - This is a really solid screen. It sets the mood and atmosphere perfectly and it looks like it can pass of as a kind of ancient temple. Really nice screen design, great job.

Moosh - Looking at this reminds me of TRIFORCE in so many ways. Really cool work man.

Avataro - This is a good EZGBZ screen. Everything looks so good about it, I can't really find anything to nitpick about. I guess the only thing I would say is to change that rock next to the stairs with one that doesn't have the small green pixels around it. Same goes for the stairs. Either way, great work.

ywkls - A pretty standard dungeon shot. I'm curious to see what those crystal switches do though :P

Demonlink - Looks really cool! It looks a bit too similar to the previous contest from last week, but hey, it's still really neat.

Overall, it was a tough choice between Demonlink and Twilight-Prince, but I'm probably going to go for Twilight-Prince.

#9 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

Wow. Those are some solid shots. Incredible job from everyone this week.

-Strike

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

The rest are no surprise and i have seen them before - i truthfully think the more skilled screenshot makers  should go ahead and do something 'a bit more creative and wild' than constantly living off the old Dogma of SNES Zeldas / GBC Zelda graphics.

They are not really much of a surprise to me - originality/wild new ideas win over me the most.

In order to stand a better chance for a higher vote next time arounds.

(For the record, this is a general response and isn't directed at anyone truly. This has been an on-going criticism that I want my two unbiased cents on.)

I don't get these kinds of comments and I find them quite destructive to a degree. I don't really see any of these shots as original or wild new ideas, with the slight exception of Moosh and perhaps ywkls. This isn't a bad thing, and I for one am against painting the simple things in life as boring and not needed in the greater scheme of things. A forest has already been done. A forest temple has already been done. A overlook has already been done. A village has already been done. A pretty pink palace has already been done. A river and bridge scene has already been done. I am perfectly okay with this because they all look really great and don't need "wild creativity" to obtain my vote. I vote on which beholds the best aesthetics - which I thought was the whole point of the contest. But if you believe in concept over aesthetics in a contest based on voting for the best looking screen, more power to you.

My big main point is, I don't think we should be discouraging any usage of tileset. I for one encourage people to use Firebird, DoR, EZGBZ or whatever tileset may get shunned in the future. Because using a tileset and showing off a simple shot of your quest means you aren't worthy of participating in Screenshot of the Week? That's why I see these comments as destructive, and I am not referring to just the quoted post. This kind of feedback has been happening for a while now. It provides nothing but discouraging people to use certain tilesets. Maybe it's just me who doesn't see the benefits of this criticism, I dunno. So my advice to people who get these kinds of comments? Show off your fields, towns, whatever. Show off anything you like be it from a quest or for fun. As long as you had fun making it, I see no harm in it being simple and I won't try to force you to go wild. Do whatever you want.

More power to you if you want originality. But I prefer any kind of screenshot that's made with heart and soul.

"Only those who have patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily."

Edited by Shane, 04 May 2015 - 09:35 AM.

• Eddy, Avaro, Twilight-Prince and 3 others like this

#11 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:38 AM

More power to you if you want originality. But I prefer any kind of screenshot that's made with heart and soul.

I agree with this totally. I don't know if you post was directed at me, but my criticism is not harsh. If you think it's harsh, you don't know what harsh is.

Not mad, not trying to start a fight, just saying.

If I didn't give a damn, I wouldn't say anything. I was just tired, most of the time people criticize because that's the only way the majority learn. I been around, if you disagree with me, it's all good because I know with all my heart in soul it's the truth. If they don't care, they'll just let the fool think he's doing good and let them fail.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 04 May 2015 - 09:41 AM.

• Shane likes this

#12 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

I wasn't directing it at anyone, like I said. This kind of criticism has been happening on PureZC for years so I was generally speaking with no one in mind at all. I just got the chance to rant this out. I apologize if anyone feels targeted (especially SkyLizardGirl), it was far from my real intentions.

I'm okay with harsh criticism, as long as it's constructive and I can have the choice to accept or deny it.

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#13 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:42 AM

It's ok man, you seem to have had endured some hardships. Speak your mind, your a man after all. No one gives a fuck, if they do they're assholes then.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 04 May 2015 - 09:43 AM.

• Shane likes this

#14 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

voted Moosh.  on with the critique.

Zeldaplayer, I like a lot about this screen.  sometimes when i look at it i really like it, like i could vote for it, but sometimes i look at just don't like it at all.  i think its the whether i look close or from afar.  from afar the straight horizontal band of mountains across the middle of the screen, and the straight line of trees on the right really look weird.  but when i look closer, they aren't as obvious, and its almost like i'm looking at two different screens (above and below).  the colours are really neat, and the detailing is great.  also, those birds are super cool, are they in that tileset or custom?  small concerns about walking into stuff like that bush one-tile from the top, and that ladder sticking above the mountains.  also, it might mean making some tiles, but the dock path might look better if it looked like it was actually purposefully built instead of how it looks cobbled together now - look at a real life deck or dock for inspiration on how boards are laid.  if mountains didn't break the screen in two so much, this might have seen my vote.

Twilight-Prince, while the pillars are cool, and you've certainly nailed the moody overgrown ruin atmosphere there just isn't enough here for me to get excited about.  the grass seems a bit too bright for the rest of the palette, and the perspective of the walls especially the tops and corners looks off compared to the broken pillars.  also, i'm not really sure why the ruin would have two different floor tiles laid over each other - bricks laid over mosaic tiles?  

Moosh, brilliant.  i have no critique.  the background is just lovely.

Avataro, probably the runner up for me.  the construction of the screen is really good.  great detailing.  i don't really have a critique.

Ywkls, interesting colours.  again the dungeon walls especially the corners look to have a weird perspective.  seems to be a lot going on puzzle wise on this screen - crystals, hammer pegs, blocked chest, locked door, telepathy stone - its not immediately obvious what is supposed to happen, especially for what looks like a dungeon entrance - can the player actually do anything or go anywhere?  

Demonlink, cool shadowing of the bridge unlike last week.  nicely constructed screen with great detailing and colours.  i just feel like i've seen the river/bridge screen so much before, and this one doesn't really bring anything new or unique to the table on this theme.  this might have won my vote on another week, but the competition was strong this round.

• ywkls likes this

#15 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

It's not a technical spectacle, but I love the vibe of Twilight-Prince's shot.  I can picture what the area would look like from a first-person perspective, making it unusually enchanting.  Voted accordingly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight-Prince, Moosh, Avataro, ywkls, Demonlink, ZeldaPlayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users