Photo

Wizzrobe behavior across ZC versions.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:36 AM

I'm trying to find out how wizzrobe teleporting differs in older versions of ZC. I'm getting mixed responses about it, and I've seen it before but I can't remember exactly. There's also this magical quest I hear about that actually needs a wizzrobe to be on a solid tile or you can't progress..(?) Here's the issue in a nutshell:

Wizzrobes allowed to teleport into solid combos. (any solid combo, or somehow biased?)
Wizzrobes allowed to teleport into walls in NES dungeon screens. (All the walls, or just the left wall?)
Wizzrobes behave normally.

ZC versions 1.90, 1.92, 2.10, 2.5 betas.

Obviously the "Wizzrobes behave normally" option is the supposedly correct one. :)

#2 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:39 AM

I guess while this thread is up, I might as well post a reminder that Blue Wizzrobes sometimes get stuck in a combo 2-3 from the left edge on the topmost row and just hug the north border of the screen. It's only on specific screens, and (in the cases of my own quests) those screens have been completely vacant of any enemy-movement restricting flags/combos. I haven't the foggiest what causes this. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to actually add to your question as I can't get pre-2.10 versions of ZC to run on this computer to verify memories (and I'm too lazy of a shit to use dosbox for the 1.92 era ones).

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

I don't think I understand the problem. Are wizrobes not supposed to teleport onto solid combos? One puzzle in Rite of the Storm requires this to happen and I always thought it was normal they can appear on solid combos. I don't remember the behavior on older ZC versions.

Edited by Avataro, 31 August 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:58 PM

I don't think I understand the problem. Are wizrobes not supposed to teleport onto solid combos? One puzzle in Rite of the Storm requires this to happen and I always thought it was normal they can appear on solid combos. I don't remember the behavior on older ZC versions.

This basically sums up the problem. It was a bug and you've gone ahead and made it a requirement now! Rabble rabble rabble!! D:

[Channeling Lumberg from Office Space:] Yeah, we've actually gone ahead and 'fixed' the bug, so if you wouldn't mind fixing things on your side that would be great, kay? :P

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:51 AM

This basically sums up the problem. It was a bug and you've gone ahead and made it a requirement now! Rabble rabble rabble!! D:

[Channeling Lumberg from Office Space:] Yeah, we've actually gone ahead and 'fixed' the bug, so if you wouldn't mind fixing things on your side that would be great, kay? :P

Alright then!

#6 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

I don't know why I worded it like that. Just to be clear, you don't need to change anything in 2.5 quests -- misc4 attribute controls the wizzrobe solidity behavior.

This is for pre-2.50 quests, and what the exact differences is between versions.

#7 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Okay, just an update here. <2.10 quests are fine. In 2.10 quests Wizzrobes could spawn over solid combos, but not walls or entryways. 2.50 fixed this and added misc4 for compatibility yet problems remain. Short version: Not actually a Wizzrobe bug, it just happens that Wizzrobes are the easiest enemy to get the bug to show up. It seems to be two other separate bugs, exact origin unknown. Seems to be all figured out now except for the issue Evan20000 mentioned; no idea about that so far.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:32 PM

For anyone following this thread, Gleeok's fixes are implemented, and in:

2.53 Beta 9, --fixdrunkguys

#9 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:56 AM

Thanks Zoria.

One last point of interest:

Still not sure what version of ZC first introduced the bug that Wizzrobes can teleport on solid combos, not just water. (2.10 for sure, at least.) If anyone still uses old pre-2.10 versions to play old quests let me know please.

The next 2.50 release should be the most backward-compatible yet at any rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users