• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:24 AM

AHHHHHHHHH.

Not super crazy about the graphics. Let's Go achieved a similar style but felt a lot more clean. But I can see what they're aiming for, and it looks like they're trying to stay very true to the original games which I appreciate. 

• David and Matthew like this

#2 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

I really like the in-battle graphics, but the Overworld? Well, actually, just the people on the overworld.

I didn't love the people in Gen 5 (still love the games), because they were too defined and yet kind of rounded and it looked a bit soft. And this is even more of that - too much definition yet very soft.

However, underground is back! Porygon-Z means we maybe get the Platinum dex? I dunno!

I'm cautiously optimistic. They still have ~8 months to screw this up. But I'm excited.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:02 PM

I had low expectations but... wow. The OW looks incredibly awkward. They clearly picked an art style that would let them import the maps from gen 4 one to one, and it suffers for it. Trying to stay very true to the original games is a downside for me, because then there's very little reason to play this over the original, especially given they adapted Diamond/Pearl rather than Platinum. I dunno, maybe I'm too cynical, but my response is a resounding, "If you're not gonna put in effort, why even bother?"

#4 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:34 PM

I love this. The artstyle looks charming and this is hitting every single one of my nostalgia buttons. DP were my first games ever and having a chance to finally relive them... *swoons*

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

I actually really like how it looks. It's cute, and I like the idea of them preserving the dynamics between the chibi overworld/detailed battle graphics in a modern fashion. I wouldn't have minded a route more like ORAS or Let's Go but there's a nostalgic charm in this. Since I've never played the original games, I might pick these up. It'd probably be cheaper than buying a DS copy anyway.

• Adem likes this

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

I'm hopeful that, once I start playing, the chibi graphics will grow on me more? I'm not even sure if it's the graphics that are bothering me so much as the saturation/lighting? Idk. But I do think I prefer this sort of graphical update to a gimmicky remake like ORAS. That game had a substantial graphical update, but they just haven't aged well. Generally, I tend to go back to the original RSE if I want to mess around in Hoenn.

I think I personally would have enjoyed seeing the modern Sinnoh in an updated SwSh/Legends-like engine, but I understand why people are excited for this style and I'll definitely buy it at launch.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:08 PM

But I do think I prefer this sort of graphical update to a gimmicky remake like ORAS. That game had a substantial graphical update, but they just haven't aged well. Generally, I tend to go back to the original RSE if I want to mess around in Hoenn.

Funny, I have basically the opposite feeling. I'm a big fan of the graphical update in ORAS, as it brought the graphics up to the standards of the time and kept everything feeling knew. In contrast, this style just feels strange, seeing a powerful graphics engine handling a tiny grid-based overhead game full of super chibi models. Of course, if they add enough new content, I can probably overlook the awkward graphics, and both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 remakes certainly added enough new stuff to justify the purchase. For whatever reason though (that reason basically being the phenomenal lack of effort that went into Gen 8) I feel a lot more cynical with this. Time will tell, I guess.

#8 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:42 PM

There's a fine line remakes straddle on, and going in either direction too much is bad in my opinion. Make it too similar to the original? I can just play the original if you are not gonna bother changing much at all. Make it too different than the original? Then it might as well be a new game, or better yet, just make a sequel.

This whole thing of trying to being too faithful to the original is just making me think i should just play Platinum. And most likely have a better experience, on top of being cheaper.

Edited by Norzan, 27 February 2021 - 06:43 PM.

#9 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 01 March 2021 - 11:22 AM

Funny, I have basically the opposite feeling. I'm a big fan of the graphical update in ORAS, as it brought the graphics up to the standards of the time and kept everything feeling knew. In contrast, this style just feels strange, seeing a powerful graphics engine handling a tiny grid-based overhead game full of super chibi models. Of course, if they add enough new content, I can probably overlook the awkward graphics, and both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 remakes certainly added enough new stuff to justify the purchase. For whatever reason though (that reason basically being the phenomenal lack of effort that went into Gen 8) I feel a lot more cynical with this. Time will tell, I guess.

Oh no, I think the graphical update for ORAS was great. I really enjoyed seeing Hoenn in the XY engine. I meant that I would have enjoyed ORAS a lot more if the gameplay had stayed truer to the original. The implementation of mega evolutions felt incredibly out of place, and the new forms of Kyogre/Groudon were there just...because? Like, why did we need to overpower already very powerful pokémon? 

By, "I prefer this sort of graphical update," I meant that I prefer a remake that focuses on staying true to the original, even if the pendulum is swinging a bit too far in the other direction as far as "staying true." :P My big fear leading up to this announcement was that we would have to endure a bunch of Gigantamaxing in a region where that doesn't belong. I don't love these graphics in particular, but I'll take them over heavy-handed gimmicks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users