Questions of a Newb

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Heffernans

Heffernans

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:49 PM

Hello, i started today by downloading ZQuest and THIS https://www.purezc.n...e=tilesets&id=4

so i started making a quest and selected the last one (altho i want to make it Links Awakening Style but its not there)

43853c26b7.png

First Room Done

b12073cc06.png

Questions:

1) is there a way to get away from the NES Style and go to the GB Gameplay style? (entering rooms etc...)

2) how do u change items from NES to GBC? like Swords, Shields etc...

3) how does the game pick which rooms to enter when entering a entrance?

thats a bit questions for now.

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Hello, making games for Zelda Classic in ZQuest Editor takes a lot of time and effort to learn.

It's taken me several years to get the hang of.

I would suggest starting with some tutorials such as this one:
http://zcguides.cele...ials/main/start

Page 3 talks about setting up cave entrances.

Zelda 3-esque is the selection you want as it is most modern and will be more like Link's Awakening.

I haven't used the tileset you're using, but it sounds like some items aren't set up for GBC graphics yet, so I would recommend trying one of the other GB tilesets to find something more complete.

If you get through that tutorial there are some other tutorials and hotkey guides you can check out in my sig.

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

I wouldn't recommend the tileset you're currently using, as it's really really old and doesn't use ZC's newest features.. I highly recommend you switch to the Vintage Dreams tileset here: https://www.purezc.n...=tilesets&id=96;as it comes packed with all sorts of GB-Zelda enhancements and the like set up and ready to go.

For entrances, change the "Combo Type" of the entrance combo from "Cave" to "Stairs". This makes warps instant. To decide where it leads to, click Screen at the top of the editor, and click "Tile Warps". Screens can have up to 4 different "Tile Warps" (AKA 4 different destinations when stepping on a warp combo). For example, Stairs (A) corresponds to Tile Warp A, Stairs (B) corresponds to Tile Warp B, etc.

You also need to set up DMaps. These can be created via Quest at the top, and then DMaps. These hold the data for locations, such as the map title, the map graphic, what screen you respawn on when you die (probably not important if doing a GB style game), what palette is used (this is important! You want to set a good palette to give your areas unique colors. If you don't everyone will hate your game for being boring. You also need to set these as dungeons usually have their own colors.), what music is used, and the like. Be sure to look through and set all the things that you need to!

For building areas, it is highly recommended to use CSets 2, 3, and 4 only. These ones correspond to what palette you are using, and most often have the most fitting colors. Every other CSet is a "Sprite CSet"; people will criticize you if you use these for building. To change what CSet you are placing combos down on, press the "+/=" and "_/-" keys; the former increases your CSet, the latter decreases your CSet.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Dimentio, 31 May 2018 - 08:40 PM.

• Cukeman likes this

#4 Heffernans

Heffernans

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Thanks, wil ltry.

Edited by Heffernans, 31 May 2018 - 08:33 PM.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

In addition to the tutorial Cukeman linked and the resources in his signature, I'd recommend you not use that tileset you downloaded. It's very, very old. This set is a Gameboy set that has a bunch of scripts to mimick GB gameplay, but it's also hard to use because of that if you're new to ZC (and it's still being worked on), so there's also this one.

Edit: It would appear three people posted within 1 minute of each other. Wow.
  • Cukeman likes this

#6 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

In addition to the tutorial Cukeman linked and the resources in his signature, I'd recommend you not use that tileset you downloaded. It's very, very old. This set is a Gameboy set that has a bunch of scripts to mimick GB gameplay, but it's also hard to use because of that if you're new to ZC (and it's still being worked on), so there's also this one.

I highly recommend you use the former set here; despite using scripts it is actually designed to be plug and play; all the scripts are pre-setup and designed to be automatic for the msot part, and it's also easier to use because it doesn't require the use of layers to do the simplest things (glares at EZGBZ 2.5).

#7 Heffernans

Heffernans

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

just tried Vintage Dreams

4c29bc5a81.png

seems to have starting screens but the Tilesets are empty (exept the few rooms that exist) i deleted the rooms but the tilesets stay bugged exept for the rooms that already exist?

39ed4f8411.png

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

It's not bugged. The tileset comes with pre-made stuff and you just have to delete everything (Edit > Maps > Delete Map and delete the DMaps) to start fresh. Also try changing the palettes or Csets to see the tiles. :)

#9 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

You need to set a palette; you can change the screen's palette by pressing f4 on your keyboard (or Screen->Palette). Note that this only works once the screen has been created (read: a combo has been place on the screen), and it's for ZQuest only; it won't affect how it looks in-game (you set the palette in game via the "DMaps" instead).

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Vintage Dreams has a demo quest that comes with it, that's why you see those screens.

What you want to do to begin your own quest is to go to Quest > DMaps, and then press Delete (Fn+Delete on a Mac) to clear out the highlighted map's settings.

Then go to Edit > Maps > Delete Map to clear out those screens.

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

You can also change the map you're on with ",/<" and "./>" on your keyboard.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

This kind of thing is why I find it easiest to practice making a few areas in the default tileset. Even though it looks like NES and not GB, it functions essentially the same way, and there are no additional tileset-specific tricks (or scripts) to worry about.

Edited by Cukeman, 31 May 2018 - 08:58 PM.

• Jared likes this

#13 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

I disagree; I think trying above and beyond is a great way to learn. That way, even if you fall short, you still end up with something decent, and you'll have gained more learning experience in the long run. (Also Classic doesn't teach you about palettes).

#14 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

Depends which aspects you want to learn first. There are certainly several learning styles.

#15 Heffernans

Heffernans

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the Help, so far i got this running (fast learner and already 3d game developer... somewhat)

ff53fb001f.png

so far for this screen, but is there no option to add NPCs? i suppose theres none since its based on NES Zelda?

EDIT:

EDIT:

EDIT:

also kinda funny but in the Editor its fine now ingame...

b904832a91.png

Edited by Heffernans, 31 May 2018 - 09:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users