Photo

Map of the Month 91

Geoffrey

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 91 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favourite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

Welcome to yet another Map of the Month contest! Thanks to FireSeraphim for mentioning it elsewhere which made me remember that this still exists (heh yeah sorry about that :P). Anyways, here are the maps this month!

FireSeraphim

A great adventures awaits us in these deep and primordial forests, now all we need is some epic music to complement it.

Geoffrey

And that is all for this month, vote away!

• Shane, Joelmacool and Matthew like this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Voted for Geoffrey! Why? Because that map make me want to play the associated quest.

On the other map, by FireSeraphim; it is really too dark for me to see a lot of detail and appreciate it.

• Rastael, Shane and Cukeman like this

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

Good contestant for Map of the Year. 

• Shane likes this

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Do we do map of the year? Either way, yeah, pretty much anything with Prince's tiles gets the votes. :P
  • Shane and Naru like this

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Either way, yeah, pretty much anything with Prince's tiles gets the votes. :P

Sure, but you gotta give Geoffrey some credit, too: that's some very handsome screen design right there.

• Anthus and Shane like this

#6 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

Seriously guys? 14 votes for geoffrey when I'm pretty sure my map is just as good.
Don't you all think that's a little unfairly biased, just voting for him because he using PrinceMSC's tiles?
I should at least have half of those votes instead due to simple artistic merit and the fact I took my time to make
the map look good and did not need to resort to using PrinceMSC's tiles to do so. A Map should be solely judged by it's artistic merit
not by whether or not a certain artist's tiles were used.

Edited by FireSeraphim, 06 November 2017 - 06:46 PM.

• Shane and Jenny like this

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Seriously guys? 14 votes for geoffrey when I'm pretty sure my map is just as good.
Don't you all think that's a little unfairly biased, just voting for him because he using PrinceMSC's tiles?
I should at least have half of those votes instead due to simple artistic merit and the fact I took my time to make
the map look good and did not need to resort to using PrinceMSC's tiles to do so. A Map should be solely judged by it's artistic merit

You should have made your map look better as deemed by the public's standards.

• Shane and Jenny like this

#8 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

Both of the maps look really good this week! I really like the foresty atmosphere in FireSeraphim's map as well as the great amount of detail each screen has. However, I ended voting for Geoffrey due to the spectacular mountain designs as well as the amazing overall look and polish. Cool dragon too! Great job both of you! :)

• Shane likes this

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

Cool dragon too! 

(Looks at map again...)

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice that. Did you import it from somewhere, or make it yourself?

Also, I spotted the King of Red Lions at the bottom. Very nice touches.

Now, to pair this with Mitsukara's Ocean Sailing tech demo and spark the ultimate quest!

• Shane and Naru like this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

Screen design contest can be cruel, and often aren't fair. People will vote for the flashiest tiles, regardless of whether they are original or not. People don't care how many hours went into it, they just care how it looks. It doesn't even have to be functional, as long as it looks good.

I did a little social experiment. I lost roughly three SotWs within about 4-5 weeks using tiles that were either completely custom, or at least heavily edited. I was.. miffed, to say the least. So, I decided to enter a string of screenshots using completely ripped graphics, and I won 3 out of 3 contests in a row that I entered. I went back to my custom tiles this week, and seem to be losing (A related irony here, is that I also appear to be losing with all three of those shots to Geoffrey in SotM, so.. :blah:)

The point? I tried to stop caring about graphics, and expectations as much as I can. Just try to make something you are happy with, and try not to be upset about these contests.

• Rastael, Shane and Naru like this

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:48 PM

Yours is good too. I'm sure if we were rating each map on a 1-10 scale, that would be clear.

Edited by Cukeman, 08 November 2017 - 12:48 PM.

• Rastael and Shane like this

#12 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Just stop complaining and accept the feedback.

• Shane and Jared like this

#13 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

I honestly can't tell....is this a serious comment?  :lol:

This is a silly reason to be mad. There are plenty of reasons to vote on each side.

However, there is one thing Geoffrey's map has that yours doesn't: readability. Yours is very dark and looks small, and thus makes it hard to even look at. Your colors are bland, and I'm sorry but your style clashing is atrocious. I do, however love that layout and flow. When I look at your map, all I can see is gigantic trees getting in the player's view. Not enhancing the vision, but more so hindering and blocking it. Your small trees are boxy and gives the map an even boxier look with your really boxy mountains.

I hate to be so hard, but don't be so critical of Geoffrey's map JUST because of the tiles. I've seen his tileset plenty of times before, being used good and bad. He just so happened to use it in a way that looks fun to explore.

Don't be so harsh just because you're mad he's winning and you're looking for reasons to make him feel bad about himself and his work.

• Shane, Eddy, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#14 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

I voted Geoffrey. Great-looking map, and not just because of the tiles. Speaking of tiles, I always found Prince's palette to be too dark, especially compared to Wind Waker (where it draws most of its inspiration from). So I made a quick edit and lightened the place up a bit:

New palette

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 2 others like this

#15 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

Glad I checked back in on this thread. Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and thanks to NoeL for the new palette! I've always felt that the AI overworld palette seems just a little too bland.

If anyone's curious, although the tiles are all PrinceMSC's in origin, I've actually put more work than I care to recall into that map. Prince's original ai.qst is very incomplete and you'd really struggle to complete a quest in it. I've been tinkering with the tileset to make it more functional in ZC (namely 2.5) for almost a decade--since 2008. The amount of time I've spent making objects compatible with all the different terrains, extrapolating from the sparse beginnings of dungeon sets, and completely restructuring the palette is enormous. And, at the end of the day, I'm not doing this for myself alone--I'm doing it so that the community can have another tileset, hopefully preserving a bit of ZC history in the process.

As for the map itself, I actually drew two rough sketches of the area on a 4x4 grid to make sure that everything would flow right from a gameplay perspective, and then drew another detailed map to make sure that everything would look good to the player. I really wanted the island to be fun to explore, and I tried to back that up with visuals that would make you want to explore it. It means a lot to me to see the community confirm that those hopes were successful.

----

FS, I actually quite like your map. The tiles are unique and for some reason I always like to see the trees from Koten blended in. If I had to offer some critique, it'd be that the cliffs don't feel entirely natural; with a bit more variation in height, or with a few sections where the cliff splits into two tiers and then rejoins later, it'd look much more like something you might find out in the wild. :)

And I know the frustration of working really hard on something only to be totally outclassed by Ebola Zaire and Evile. Damn it, Ebola! This is why Cast Chaos made your cameo creepy. :twisted:

• Anthus, Shane, Eddy and 4 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geoffrey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users