Addressing ZNR's difficulty and accessability issues issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:54 AM

I have received a lot of complaints about ZNR (and my stream style and gameplay style in Zelda) being too technical and hard to understand. I will try to answer this in at least a ZNR perspective and how I'm trying to handle it.

If the game is indeed is too hard:

I am having a neutral tester go through the game on Easy Mode through Normal Mode under the new conditions to see if the game is truly passable for someone with moderate experience. I am also having it video recorded. While I am keeping most of the details secret for now, I am watching the videos with great interest about how certain challenges play out and if certain things are indeed too hard or if they get stuck hard. Normal Mode will remain Contest Mode, and Kaizo Mode will remain as is, but I want Easy Mode to be a training mode so people can learn more about the game. It's possible more adjustments might be made.

If there is a balance issue from The Legend of Zelda:

I need to get one thing out of the way hard. The original NES game has been taking a step towards complete glitching and bug exploiting in the last 10 years which has overcame normal and intended gameplay.
- ZNR has been fixed in that regard. Except for Up and A (F6) and maybe collecting items through enemies, don't try it. It won't work. Period end of sentence.

i have also made adjustments in dungeon length, enemy types, and other factors and tech to prevent speedrunning in its current form. To anyone with a heavy speedrunning background who has tried, you will notice that. It is intentional. This is a new quest, a new game, you will have to come up with new strategies in order to defeat this. The old tricks may work, they might not work. You have to map this out like the original Legend of Zelda. No compassion here either. Just because you were good at one game doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be "the best" at the sequel or the next installation. It might be someone else's turn.

If information has been lost over time, especially related to the Second Quest or mechanically

I might need to do something about this. A run of the Second Quest is HIGHLY encouraged before playing ZNR (or any of my work, or even Zelda Classic in general), if not even REQUIRED so you understand the algorithms of how secrets progress, enemy behavior, and things of the like. If the way to access the Second Quest has been lost totally, then I need to do something about that in some matter. Maybe a Downfall flashback style in the beginning maybe, I don't know. We'll see. If you have any questions about game mechanics please feel free to ask.

If you don't want to upgrade to the latest version

It is made for the latest version. Sorry No feeling bad or going to help you there. Play 1.0 for 2.50.1/2 or 2.53 if you can't run Alpha 92 (or l97 for later betas if needed.

I hope this answers everybody's questions, and contact me if you have ANY issues regarding this quest. PM's, Discord, forums. I'm here, I answer the best I can.

Sincerely yours, and I'm sorry if this caused any issues
"Nightmare" James Sorge
  • Bagu likes this

#2 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 02 October 2021 - 04:50 AM

Update on this:

A flashback on the 2nd Quest is in on this in its raw form.  I still need to put scripts including a cutscene explaining how the heck we get from 1987 to 2015 (or Downfall makes no sense) and a removal of equipment from Link from the Second Quest, but I seriously need some work time and need to do some things.  Keep you posted.

This is the start of how I plan on dealing with the ZNR and overall playing knowledge problem with Zelda Classic.  I will eventually be doing more teaching videos how to deal with certain playing situations, especially in classic quests.

But as for now, enjoy your flashback to the end of the Second Quest (without a cutscene for now)

https://youtu.be/vg7Ah33Xy18

-James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users