Good versus Evil... versus Good?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

The purpose of this thread is to get some suggestions for that always troublesome topic of mine; bosses. This is relating to this quest...

Destiny of the Oracles

And here's the link to the latest stage of its development.

http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=67916

So, one of the aspects for this game is the dynamic behind the Mirror World. More specifically, the idea that you're kind of helping out the forces of Evil. Not that you have a choice. In order to advance in the normal world, helping the Mirror World will be a requirement. But this made me realize that the perfect bosses for that area would be... characters that are normally allies with Link.

I also have a bunch of tiles ready to be ripped into the quest for some unique enemies; which I've done very little work on for multiple reasons. These include the Thunderbird from Adventure of Link, a Giant Beamos, a large Dodongo, the Moblin Leader from the Oracle series, a large Lizalfos, a large Wallmaster, a plant creature I intend to turn into a version of Kalle Demos, a small version of Koloktos, a large Wolf-man, the Giant Chuchu and Keaton from the Minish Cap and a Hydra/Gleeok inspired by Binx.

Other bosses likely to show up are some of these guys. 

http://www.purezc.ne...e=tiles&id=1456

A few other enemies which may be included can be seen here.

http://www.spriters-...yss/sheet/2140/

http://www.spriters-...yes/sheet/4163/

But another part is the idea of facing Link's allies. I've got some sprites for Sheik and perhaps Maple, Darunia, Saria or Ruto. Beyond them, I'm a bit stumped.

In fact, that pretty much sums up where I stand with this quest so far. I already got some assistance offered by Binx, which I've accepted but I'm beginning to think that I might need some additional staff. I've invited the member who contributed most of the graphical touches which will be included in the latest version of Passage Through Time to join, but not heard back yet.

So, I'm basically looking for ideas for which enemies to use as bosses for which dungeons; how they behave and how they can be defeated given the abilities you will have at that point in the quest. If anyone I know to be reliable wants to contribute to getting me out of my current slump; I'd appreciate it. I am working on stuff, just not as much as I did last year and I think it's probably because I'm more focused on scripting now than then.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

Another thing you can do, is make your own original characters. Establish them in Hyrule, then use them as baddies in the Mirror world. Link doesn't really have a whole lot of recognizable allies. And outside of Impa and Zelda, few of them have recurred with more than one Link.
  • Naru likes this

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

Another thing you can do, is make your own original characters. Establish them in Hyrule, then use them as baddies in the Mirror world. Link doesn't really have a whole lot of recognizable allies. And outside of Impa and Zelda, few of them have recurred with more than one Link.

The only problem with doing the establishment of the characters is the fact that we aren't actually in Hyrule in this game. As for recognizable allies, I'm probably going to be sticking with characters based off of Ocarina of Time; since I've decided that it is directly connected to this game.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

Definitely the owl.  That'd be the most satisfying one to fight in the other world.

• Binx likes this

#5 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:50 AM

Okay... Well, not being in Hyrule doesn't really prevent you from establishing new characters. OoA, OoS, LA, WW and MM all take place outside of Hyrule, and all of which introduce new side characters and allies for Link. With only a handful of ally characters actually established in OoT (what, 9-10? Malon, Talon, and the Seven Sages). Again, it's your game, don't allow yourself to be overly limited by what the games already established. If it's not Hyrule, that's even more reason to make new characters.

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

Definitely the owl.  That'd be the most satisfying one to fight in the other world.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Now to find sprites.

Once I get a firm idea on who's going where, I'll update the list below. Blank spaces aren't taken yet..

Bosses so far(In Order)-

Labrynna

Labrynna

1. Flame Master
2. Giant Chuchu
3. Trinexx
4. King Dodongo
5. Kalle Demos                                                         
6. Digdogger (Scripted)
7. Thunderbird
8. Hydra

Mirror World

1. Saria                                                            
2. Maple
3. Darunia
4. Impa
5. Ruto
6. Rauru
7. Ralph
8. Sheik

I'd do Tingle, if it wasn't such a joke.

Edit: Updated list of bosses and put them in order..

Edited by ywkls, 09 May 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#7 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

Kaepora Gaebora *is* Rauru. He takes an owl form to guide Link as a child.

If it's set within Labrynna, why not include Ralph, or his ancestor, Ambi? Or the oracles; since Zelda/Shiek is an incarnation of Hylia, there's no real reason to avoid using the oracles.

Edited by Binx, 24 April 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#8 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:45 PM

I'm not sure I've ever heard the idea that the owl and Rauru are the same before. Ralph will be in the game and he makes sense for that missing slot in my boss list. Farore is around (see the end of Passage Through Time) but Nayru is not. Including Din might be doable, given the plot.

At this point, I think I need more ideas for the bosses of Labrynna than the Mirror World. And I'm still open to adding more people to this; if only to get me motivated again.

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

http://zeldawiki.org/Rauru

It's literally in the first sentence. The reference is both information from Gossip Stones in-game: "They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage," as well as solid confirmation within Hyrule Historia: "Rauru: The sage who created the Temple of Time in eras long past. Before Link drew the Master Sword, Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora, watching over the boy as he progressed in his adventure.".
Bosses for Labrynna are probably simpler. I mean, you can literally take any boss monster, from any Zelda game, and just tweak it for your purposes.

Edited by Binx, 24 April 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

http://zeldawiki.org/Rauru

It's literally in the first sentence. The reference is both information from Gossip Stones in-game: "They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage," as well as solid confirmation within Hyrule Historia: "Rauru: The sage who created the Temple of Time in eras long past. Before Link drew the Master Sword, Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora, watching over the boy as he progressed in his adventure.".

I'm not basing this entirely on established Zelda history as far as the official timeline goes. In fact, I wrote up my own timeline a while back that I shared on PureZC. It can be found here. http://www.purezc.ne...topic=67535&hl=

Maybe the King of Hyrule instead of Rauru, then? I have sprites for him already.

Bosses for Labrynna are probably simpler. I mean, you can literally take any boss monster, from any Zelda game, and just tweak it for your purposes.

I could, though I've already done some of them and lack sprites for others. The trick is deciding which ones and then putting them into the quest.

#11 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

I'm not basing this entirely on established Zelda history as far as the official timeline goes. In fact, I wrote up my own timeline a while back that I shared on PureZC. It can be found here. http://www.purezc.ne...topic=67535&hl=

Maybe the King of Hyrule instead of Rauru, then? I have sprites for him already.

Yeah, I had responded to that topic, when you posted it; but I'm really not saying anything about timelines. Rauru being the Owl was established in OoT, originally. Regardless of how you structure the timeline, you should avoid creating continuity errors with information that is actually established within the games. That being said, I think it would be better to make Rauru a two-stage boss, fighting him in both his owl and sage forms.

But, yeah, King of Hyrule might be a good idea, especally since you could give him boat-themed powers or something.

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

But, yeah, King of Hyrule might be a good idea, especally since you could give him boat-themed powers or something.

Even better, give him Kinstone and wind based powers, because of his connection to the Wind tribe in Minish Cap, which happened before Ocarina.

• Binx likes this

#13 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

@Dimentio- I'm not sure what Kinstone-based powers would be, but Wind-based would be fairly easy.

However the idea of using the King of Hyrule raises a question to me. Namely, what happened to the King of Hyrule in Ocarina of Time whenever Ganon took over?

Why is this important? Well, the essence of the Mirror World's backstory is that Ganon succeeded in conquering Hyrule and this set up a permanent base of followers in the Golden Land/Dark World/Twilight Realm which corresponds to this Mirror World. So, if that King was killed; then this one would correspond to the King from Wind Waker except Zelda isn't Tetra.

References to characters both good and evil from other Zelda titles will abound. One aspect I decided on a while back was the existence of seven Sages of Evil/Darkness (need a better name for their group) who have been captured by interlopers from another dimension. To progress, you have to get items and rescue them; opening paths that will let you reach new stuff you can do.

I think for Raura/Kaepora Gaebora I'll have him transform between forms for various attacks.

Please continue to make suggestions, because I need anything I can get.

#14 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:57 PM

The official story is that Ganon killed everyone in the castle, save for Impa and Zelda, as well as all the ancient sages except Rauru, but none of that is ever stated in-game, so for all we know based on the game alone, he could have been kept in Ganon's tower as a prisoner (of course, that would mean he probably died when the castle fell on him)

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Anybody want to help turn these sprites into a giant Skulltula? (Because I'm lousy with sprites.)

http://www.spriters-...ss/sheet/54261/

This isn't for Destiny of the Oracles, but I would like to get it out of the way so I can get back to *cough* work *cough* on that.

It's basically the last thing I need for the latest version of Passage Through Time (Other than the script that runs the monster in question. And the Vaati script Dimentio has helped with.)

If a list of bosses that have already been used or are planned for future quests would make suggestions easier to come up with, I can provide one.

• Binx likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users