Making a quest hard

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

LoH is open ended and you can try any dungeon in any order. In fact, LoH requires you to go to a later dungeon in order to get some important items and heart containers. Each dungeon was designed to make it challenging for Link, at his maximum potential, at that point in the game. If you could of had 8 hearts but only have 5 hearts, you better go an get those other three hearts. The game can be a little bit deceiving with this fact because each fortress in specifically numbered. You don't get the red potion in LoH until you complete the triforce. Fortress 9 was designed for Link to use his potions sparingly.

By not providing potions, any game will become much harder. Of course, that would not be very popular. 

#32 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Since when is LOH open ended? You can do the dungeons in any order without cheats?

-Strike

#33 Yloh

Yloh

My Face!!!

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

LoH lets you try each dungeon, but you need to get the equipment and heart containers from the dungeons in the proper order. LoH does force you to jump to some later dungeons to acquire some equipment, but you still return to the current dungeon to complete it. You can even try fortress 9 at any time, but you won't get far at all. You need to get all of the equipment from the previous dungeons first.

When I was thinking about of open ended, I was thinking about how the game lets you enter every area at any point in the game. A lot of Zelda Classic games will restrict your access to later areas unless you have the right equipment. LoH does not do this at all. In that since LoH, is open ended. 

I can see another view of open ended that does not fit LoH. A true open ended game will allow you to complete almost any dungeon in almost any order. LoH does not fit that criteria of open ended. In that since, LoH is quite linear.  

#34 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

My opinion of that game was about to go up a ton. O.O

I'm trying to make my quest possible in a lot of different ways to add replayability.

-Strike

• Yloh likes this

#35 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Guys! Guys! GUYS! What if I have a dungeon that actively tries to confuse and frustrate the player with teleporting rooms and one-way shutters?

#36 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

This last thing about confusing the player in a dungeon may be frustrating, but as I like messing around with players/readers/listeners in my art, (counting literature, music, and video gaming as arts) I'm for this all the way. Except that you should please give away some way some way of deciphering the map. It can be as cryptic as you want. Just make it there

As for your other things:

No Fairy Fountains

I don't mind. I never use fairy fountains in my quest, and basically never usethem during gameplay either. I'm having life shops instead. And my enemies drop hearts. However, this means that your...

...enemies don't drop life (or magic?)...

...would be extremely annoying. And I guess life shops are just fairy fountains that you pay for. So neither would be viable with both of these. at least make enemies drop some life. It doesn't have to be much.

Enemies drop less rupees

Only if you need less rupees. As so many have said, people don't like to grind.

No clocks

Completely for. I need to remove the clocks from my quest.

Link only starts with 3/4 of his life, except at the beginning. Heart containers and pieces refill life.

This may be annoying, but if you have a quick way of healing near the starting point, then go ahead. Like in aLttP, where you started with three less hearts than max, but in your house, there were three pots, with a heart beneath each.

Except now I realise you said 'heart containers and pieces refill life'. If you're doing that, then make them numerous. Make there be a lot of heart pieces and containers. If not, people will get annoyed.

No F6

If there's another way of saving, go ahead.

#37 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Here's an idea: what if there are no heart containers? If you get hit, you just die.

#38 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Actually, I believe having NO heart containers simply kills you as soon as you spawn in. Link appears, makes his "getting hit" noise and instant game over. Perhaps giving Link 1 heart and making every single enemy and hazard do at least 4 damage (1 heart) could work as an alternative idea. Hello I Wanna Be The Guy and having the GAME OVER screen permanently burnt into your retinas.

#39 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Actually, I believe having NO heart containers simply kills you as soon as you spawn in. Link appears, makes his "getting hit" noise and instant game over. Perhaps giving Link 1 heart and making every single enemy and hazard do at least 4 damage (1 heart) could work as an alternative idea. Hello I Wanna Be The Guy and having the GAME OVER screen permanently burnt into your retinas.

Well, it won't be in Last Emperor, but I'm keeping it mind for the future.

#40 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I reeaaaly don't this idea of no Heart containers, This is more like just a game where you try to get as far as you can before getting hit by something. I mean seriously, In probably every game that has enemy's there was probably a way to get more energy/lives and you atleast have a chance to get into a large enough part of the game to have an enjoyable experience, This just makes the game just well luck that like that octorock does not fire at you, Or that that peahat does not hit you or whatever the threat is.

• bigjoe likes this

#41 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

Or if you make a sdeview quest (like mine), you could just make every enemy have a chance to kick Link into pit with Super Insta-Killer Spikes (Damage32 combos with "Damage combos ignore Rings). Golden Ring + 32 Heart Containers go down in one hit!

#42 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Making so that everything can kill you in one hit is an interesting idea and I have done it in some quests already.
But the quest has to be designed with this in mind at any time.

Here's an idea: what if there are no heart containers? If you get hit, you just die.

Maybe for a joke quest. :)

#43 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Oh and with that 1-hit death idea, have Link explode into blood and play this music: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nmBwqRhGznI

Not sure if scripting can bypass the hard-coded game over screen though, or if Link could explode into blood like The Kid does from IWBTG. Then you'd have to have several difficulty modes too, such as:

• Easy Mode would simply make fun of you with the audio from the one Touhou game kicking in. Following that, Link is stuck in some creepypasta land where moving at all just triggers a highly gruesome image to pop up. Your only recourse is to F6 quit or close Zelda Classic.
  • Normal Mode would have similar results, only it would be say a 30 second long audio clip of the author making fun of you, mocking you for playing on Normal. Immediately following, screamer, followed by a kill screen with the screamer still up on the screen up until GAME OVER appears.
  • Hard, Very Hard and Impossible modes would be just like IWBTG's. Hard gives a few save points per area, Very Hard only 1 save point per area and Impossible? No save points period. You only get one chance; make it count.

#44 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Okay, I'm not evil.

#45 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Having no heart containers does kill you instantly. I did it oncde by accident.

But having everything kill you 1HKO would be hard. If you want, do it, but make it possible without an extremely large amount of tries. That would get a lot of hate. If that's what you want, go ahead and do a 1HKO bullet hell. You really need to put a lot of thought into it if you go ahead with 1HKO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users