desert dungeon boss

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

I got the tiles just fine. I placed them on a screen to get size and I saved the screen but I can't upload the pic of the screen to purezc

#32 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Do you have a fileshare site yet? Imageshack is a good one I use. Mediafire works too, as well as for making quests available without adding them to the database, but Imageshack is specifically tailored to images.
I also use 4shared.com, but they require a logon for others to download anything. Plus, they tend to shrink down images wider than about 210 pixels wide (which most screenshots are); they didn't use to, but because of that fact I mainly use my Imageshack account for pictures.

#33 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I don't have one yet but ill get one here in a minute

#34 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hey, beneficial, since you haven't posted yet, I decided to go ahead and show you what I have right now. I only have 2 positions for the upper arms and 1 position for the lower arms and the hands, so I'll show you the only complete ones I have.

Here's the completed body:
IPB Image

To show examples with the head on (and without editing out the annoying boxes), here's Stallord with mouth open:
IPB Image(I added shading on the backbone so it wouldn't look too weird through it's mouth.)

...and mouth closed:
IPB Image

My main concern is that he might be too big to use on one screen. We could try placing the head one or two spaces downward, though. What do you think?
Edit: Maybe I could shorten each spine segment under the ribcage; that might help a little.

Edited by Lightwulf, 30 August 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#35 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

I'm in awe icon_drool.gif

While it does indeed look like the size might be an issue, these are AMAZING!

There's just one thing you forgot. In the sprite with the mouth closed, his right horn isn't cut off like it is when his mouth is open.

#36 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
QUOTE(Octorockoncrack @ Aug 31 2012, 12:39 AM) View Post
There's just one thing you forgot. In the sprite with the mouth closed, his right horn isn't cut off like it is when his mouth is open.
I do realize it may look that way, but there's something ya' gotta' understand: Stallord doesn't just have 1 set of horns; he/it has 2 sets of horns. The second set is behind and lower than the first one. What you're seeing is the top of the rear-right horn behind the cut-off (or broken-off; I have no idea which it is) front-right horn. You don't see it in the mouth-open version because the skull is tilted upward, hiding the tips of the back horns behind the front ones.
Look closely at the left horn(s). You should see just a little bit of the left-rear horn sticking out to the right of the front one.
I was actually concerned that the perspective on the closed-mouth version was off, but I didn't think I should make the head too much bigger to correct it. icon_unsettled.gif I'm open to suggestion/constructive criticism on this.

Trust me; I created this big thing based off of existing TP screenshots on the web, as well as a screenshot I took from a TP playthrough video from the web. Also, I found that someone named Samus25 actually recreated Stallord with a 3D modeling program; I compared his pic with the screenshots and it's spot on! The only error was a big gaping hole in the middle of the front of the skull (above the hole for the nose), so I made sure to ignore that and refer to TP screenshots when making the skull.

#37 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Oh alright, now I understand why it looks like that. It's been a while since I've played TP, and it wasn't exactly memorable. >_<

But my main point is still the same, it's obvious you put a lot of work into these. Great job!

#38 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hey guys,
Sorry for just kinda disappearing on you lol, I got a work promotion and the past month has been hell there trying to fix what the old manager f-ed up but I am still interested and they look remarkanble lightwulf they really do. They shoulda had you design the bosses in the original game lol. About the size, you said you shaded in the neck and lowered the head and it looks great but it does look big. Unless there is a script that makes the screen bigger (I don't think there is) then it is technically too big but one thing that comes to mind is maybe using 4 screens for the boss and place him right in the middle and have link run around the boss while avoiding staltroops (which he can't kill, just a bunch of enemies to avoid) and using the hammer from the front of stallord which breaks his backbone. I don't know what do you guys think

#39 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hey, thanks for replying! icon_smile.gif Glad your personal life is going well.

Well, I was thinking of only 2 screens, with the majority of the boss on the first screen and the upper parts that don't fit on that screen would show on the second screen above the first screen; this gives Link some room to dodge Staltroops. Unless, if the 3rd and 4th screens are half-screens, you could center the boss over all the screens. That would allow there to be plenty of room for Link to move around.

One idea I thought of was this: if you go with 4 full screens, you could make it kind of a maze of Staltroops (or bones or other obstacles) that Link has to visit all 4 of the screens before he reaches Stallord. Stallord could be swatting the ground trying to hit Link and the Staltroops could make traveling difficult. Then, when Link reaches the base of Stallord, you could have a direct warp to an identical room that is centered on Stallord. Depending on your strategy for defeating Stallord, though, the direct warp idea may or may not work.

Now, with the design, I'm also considering moving the head tiles down 1 space since Stallord is actually more hunched over than straight in TP. Based off of the head design I currently have, that might make more sense.

I'll still work on the other arm positions.

Edited by Lightwulf, 24 September 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#40 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ya I was thinking exactly what you said a maze of bones where link must fight staltroops using the hammer (that's the item you get in the dungeon, also will be the weapon used on stallord).

#41 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hey, beneficial!

icon_sorry.gif Sorry for the delay on this. I got stuck on one thing I was trying to do (trying to figure out how to rotate a graphic less than 90-degrees). I got frustrated and then got distracted from this project.

However, you may be happy to know that I picked this up early last week. icon_smile.gif Rather than rotate the arm-down position like I wanted to, I just focused on getting the arm-up position knocked out. So, though it's not all I wanted to do, I have finished this task:
IPB Image
Just a reminder - this uses CSet 11 in DoR.

Here are the tile page exports that I organized for easy use (mainly with copying and using "O" to overlay the bones on top of each other):
DoR page 205 - Skull (including the recolored CT dinosaur tiles they were based off of), Ribcage and Vertebrae
DoR page 206 - Arms and Hands
DoR page 207 - Assembled tiles, mouth open, with arms both up and down (the image shown above)
DoR page 208 - Assembled tiles, mouth closed, arms down only

So, yeah, I give permission for anyone to use these as long as you give credit.

Also, if anyone makes different positions for the arms and/or head (or anything for that matter), let me know; I'd like to include them.

... However, I'm still open to (constructive) criticism on this. If something doesn't quite look right, feel free to post here so we can discuss it. I've had to tweak many things while making these, which is why it took a week just to do the hands and lower arms in the up position; I wasn't 100% on the placement of some of the pixels, so that's why I appreciate feedback.
  • Shane likes this

#42 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

What a great boss! icon_eek.gif
How can I download those tiles at imghack? I don't get it...

#43 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Lord Settra! @ Jan 29 2013, 10:20 AM) View Post
What a great boss! icon_eek.gif
How can I download those tiles at imghack? I don't get it...
Thanks! icon_smile.gif
After you click on the link to pull up the image at ImageShack, just scroll down and click on the blue "Download" button.

#44 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

well.....you could make a super landmola,or a super staflos.....in fact just look at some 4 frame(cubic 4 frame) learn how they work make the graphics and then add the hp walk speed and a few other things,but then you would have a dungeon boss

#45 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Lightwulf i can't thank you enough this boss looks great and you're work will not go unnoticed. The project is back underway i got side tracked too but a recently picked up work on the quest and an excited to use stallord

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users