Photo

What did you like or dislike about Zelda 2.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Sorry to add on, but I also loved the level up system.
I think one is currently being made, though.

#17 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jul 4 2011, 02:00 PM) View Post

Sorry to add on, but I also loved the level up system.
I think one is currently being made, though.

Yeah, I believe moscowmodder is working on one for his quest

Also, If you like something or disagree with a game mechanic I've mentioned by then by all means say so.

#18 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Like: The side scrolling. It was very interesting.

Dislike. The horribly vague hints given by the poor localization team. The frustratingly "hard because it's HARDCORE" valley of broken shields, or whatever.

Nintendo ruined an otherwise good game by making the last stretch stupidly unfun and annoying to play.

#19 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

The game was cool and all. It's been ages since I played it, but I remember struggling to get experience to level up and it being a pain to get around until I got the hammer. A Z1 perspective may make it less frustrating for me, so I think that's a great idea!

#20 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Lightwulf @ Jul 4 2011, 03:47 PM) View Post

The game was cool and all. It's been ages since I played it, but I remember struggling to get experience to level up and it being a pain to get around until I got the hammer. A Z1 perspective may make it less frustrating for me, so I think that's a great idea!

So you too hate the leveling system. Good to here I'm not the only one! icon_lol.gif
Anyways do you guys think you can survive a quest without the boomerang, bombs, and arrows?

#21 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

I think I can. Only a good old fashion sword is all this game has, and all we need icon_smile.gif

#22 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Zelda II, as strange as it may sound, is among my top five Zelda games. There isn't a lot I didn't like about it. The more irritating things included requiring all the magic containers in order to beat the game (or a good chunk of them, if memory serves me right) and how if you got a game over, it was back to the very beginning. (Barring the great palace, of course, which sent you back to the entrance of it. icon_razz.gif)

Now, what I really liked about the game is how different it was. The exp system was fun, the game was more combat-oriented, and it just felt good to play. I liked the difficulty personally; made it more fun for me. :3

As for your more recent question...this is something I'd recommend against. See, these are the king of things that would allow for more room in puzzle design. Given that your making this in ZC, which means you're probably doing a top down version of it, stuff like that is more important than, say, in a side scroller.

Now, if you've got a creative way to make this work, yeah, go for it. But my immediate thoughts of it in a traditional quest would be no.

#23 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(Majora @ Jul 4 2011, 05:27 AM) View Post

Like: Everything

Dislike: the "OMG TOO HARD" whiners.

This. This! THIS! THIS! THIS THIS THIS THIS OMG THIS! THIS FTW!

Yeah I also don't like people who critic the difficulty in this amazing game. This has helped my gaming skills alot and I have less game overs then ever before heck I even beaten Lost Isle with just 2 deaths thanks to this (And also DFW 0 death LP.).

In short terms: I liked every second of it icon_biggrin.gif!

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

I didn't really like it. It bucked the Zelda formula a little bit too much. Now, granted, there wasn't really a "Zelda formula" yet as it was only the second game in the series, but the fact that we never saw a return to its style does say something. I don't think that the leveling system was particularly well done, but it was one of the first video games to attempt it so that's to be expected.

EDIT: I guess this would be more helpful if I actually mentioned some specifics; one problem I had was the lack of item-based puzzle solving (which Zelda 1 also struggles with, but not to the same extent as Zelda II). The few items that you get are all passive-effect affairs or only function on the overworld. The spells largely replace the items, but still pretty much only have combat applications. The end result is that the dungeons get most of the difficulty from being frustrating to navigate or having hard enemies instead of actually challenging the player to think about puzzles and circumstance.

It's great if you like classic Castlevania-style gameplay, but I'm not a huge fan of it so it's pretty easy to guess that I wouldn't like Zelda II very much either. (Strangely enough, I do love the 2D Metroid games, so I guess there's a bit of an inconsistency there.)

I think Radien and Angeal are also working on a Zelda II remake.

#25 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

I like pretty much everything about it. I don't hate anything really.. It's a wonderful game. The difficulty can be irritating the first 5 times, but it gets easier the more and more you play it. But yeah, I think it's a nearly perfect game and those haters probably hate it because they can't make it out of parapa palace icon_razz.gif

#26 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Jul 5 2011, 10:00 AM) View Post

I like pretty much everything about it. I don't hate anything really.. It's a wonderful game. The difficulty can be irritating the first 5 times, but it gets easier the more and more you play it. But yeah, I think it's a nearly perfect game and those haters probably hate it because they can't make it out of parapa palace icon_razz.gif

I discovered a trick to defeating the bird knights. The upward thrust! Block their beams and when they jump, run under them and do a upward thrust. They'll get hit for damage and you probably will too. But hey, that's what shield is for.

Edited by blackbishop89, 05 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#27 randy

randy

Senior

• Members

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

I think the upward thrust is horribly underrated. I even sometimes forget to use it. Now the downward thrust is a different story, I abused the heck out of that move.

#28 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(randy @ Jul 7 2011, 07:16 AM) View Post

I think the upward thrust is horribly underrated. I even sometimes forget to use it. Now the downward thrust is a different story, I abused the heck out of that move.

Yeah, I agree. Upward thrust is a underrated move.

#29 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Back to your question, though, I think it would be best to keep the bombs, at least. They are needed to open passageways (unless you stick to walk-through walls, of course).
It would be interesting to see you use another item instead of bombs to open hidden passageways.

#30 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

The hammer could have the same effect as a bomb. It would take a lot of work though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users