EZGBZ 2.0 (by Akkabus)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

I'd like to see some good screenshots of what you all think makes a good overworld, cave and dungeons screen. What aspects pop out as a good GB shot?
I'd also like some example of BAD ways to use the set in creating a not so good overworld, cave and dungeon screen. I'm learning the set but would like to better know how to get the most out of it before I try anything.

Thanks.

#2 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

wow, nobody has any tips at all? This is surprising. icon_blink.gif

#3 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

You might try taking a look through the SotW archives.

#4 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

My god I love this tileset. I'm waiting for some screenshots, as well as a demo or full blown game to play!

I'd love to see a Links Awakening remake, or the Oracle Games remade.
Even OoT remade in this set!

#5 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Zemious @ Jul 21 2010, 02:24 PM) View Post

My god I love this tileset. I'm waiting for some screenshots, as well as a demo or full blown game to play!

I'd love to see a Links Awakening remake, or the Oracle Games remade.
Even OoT remade in this set!

I'm planning on making a OoT or OoS remake only difference is that dungeons will be redisinged.

Edited by Midnight_King, 21 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#6 Zemious

Zemious

• Members

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Jul 21 2010, 05:23 PM) View Post

I'm planning on making a OoT or OoS remake only difference is that dungeons will be redisinged.

In the LA/OoA - OoS tileset? icon_smile.gif
A plan is a plan, it means nothing until you finish it.

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

I thought the overowrold stuff in Joe123's Fort Knights was pretty good. icon_smile.gif It's a complete quest using the GB set.

#8 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Well I don't plan on remaking anything. That is pointless. Why not make something new?

#9 Zemious

Zemious

• Members

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Jul 22 2010, 09:16 PM) View Post

Well I don't plan on remaking anything. That is pointless. Why not make something new?

I disagree, I'd love to see a remake.

#10 Zieg30CT

Zieg30CT

Initiate

• Members

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

Language. Sex. Violence. Other? might be worth taking a look at. I don't know about any one else but I thought it did a pretty good job.

http://www.zcrealm.n...uest.php?num=29

Also, Peril of Rectangle Country, albeit in demo form only for now, may provide some inspiration as well.

http://www.zcrealm.net/demo.php?num=23

#11 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

hi dfw, i'm flattered you're using my tileset! i wish i could give you some examples, but i'm still trying to figure out the set, too. however, if you want some bad examples, just ask, i'm quite skilled!

hint: one thing you might want to try, for overworlds, is to treat the green grass as a type of border for other objects. also, if you have a wall of mountains, try breaking it up into smaller sections with waterfalls or those thin-mountain tiles, which seem to be used a lot in the official gb games.

also, try blindly copying the real game maps to get a feel for the set:

http://www.vgmaps.co...aLinksAwakening

though for some reason, the screens look good in the real games, but they look plain when i draw them out in zc. maybe because of the screen dimensions...?

#12 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

My first test screen:
IPB Image
It looks like there will be graphical inconsistencies with the GB set with regards to tile transitions between sand/bushes/grass/mountains. So either people just simple accept graphical inconsistancies like that or I have to edit this tileset to make sure it goes smooth. Your opinions on this matter?

#13 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

you have to make your own tiles. yes, it sucks. but my reasoning is that this tileset should have all the graphics (but not necessarily all the tiles) you need to make a gameboy-styled quest, and also that the questmaker will eventually make her own tiles anyway. here's some tips...

first, the original screen copied to the best of my ability.

IPB Image

1. you can use layers. works well with non-interactive objects.

IPB Image

2. make custom tiles based on existing tiles. here we have beach sand tiles made from the existing beach sand tiles already found in the tileset.

IPB Image

notice the seashell. let me point out that in the official games, there are many such inconsistencies, but they're subtle, unlike this seashell example. some inconsistencies are fine. indeed, you will always find some unless you remake the whole tileset. if they start to bother you, go ahead and make your own tiles to cover them up.

3. random tip: this is the mountain combo you want to use on the top-left of the screen.

IPB Image

#14 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

thank you. Looks like I got some more work to do, but at least I'm on the right track to properly use this tileset.

EDIT: Here's the newly edited screen plus two others:
IPB Image
And yes, I'm finally using multiple tile warps per screen as indicated by the three on the far left of the picture. (two houses + 1 cave)

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 29 July 2010 - 04:07 AM.

#15 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I thought you already made a whole quest with one of the old GB tilesets? And your screenshots look good, I don't see why you thought you needed so much help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users