• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

Im just wonderin'... which is the best metroid tileset? I need a good one

#2 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

I like Exate's MXL Tileset, but... His MTPP Tileset has things that his MXL set doesn't, so choose whichever one you like. Fortunately, you get both in one download, so you really don't need to choose which to download. Now, which tileset you choose largely decides your game perspective. Choose MXL, and you're going with a basic top-down/side view. Go with MTPP, and you get mainly a side-view, like the average Zelda tileset. In other words, what I call "2-D-3-D". It's a 2-D world, with a somewhat-3-D perspective. Basically, it's 2.5-D. So... Do you want the 2.5-D look of the average 2-D Zelda game? Or do you want the average top-down/side view of the average Metroid game, exluding the Metroid Prime games? It's your choice, but since the palettes in both tilesets are similar, but not exactly alike, you can take tiles from one set and put them in another. It's great for when you want a quest with 2 different perspectives. Take my Metroid quest, for example. The first real are of my quest has to use tiles from the MTPP set because of the look I want, but that same perspective won't work in the intro area (Phazon Frigate), because of the top-down look I need there. Besides, it looks more like it's floating in space with a top-down view than with a 3-D-ish view.

#3 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

Since I'm just an advanced advertiser, I suggest you check my Tiles which have gone unnoticed too.Right here.
Much of the Tilesheets are not in the Metroid tilesets. The power bombs and the like are for the most part.

#4 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Oct 6 2006, 05:54 PM)
I like Exate's MXL Tileset, but... His MTPP Tileset has things that his MXL set doesn't, so choose whichever one you like. Fortunately, you get both in one download, so you really don't need to choose which to download. Now, which tileset you choose largely decides your game perspective. Choose MXL, and you're going with a basic top-down/side view. Go with MTPP, and you get mainly a side-view, like the average Zelda tileset. In other words, what I call "2-D-3-D". It's a 2-D world, with a somewhat-3-D perspective. Basically, it's 2.5-D. So... Do you want the 2.5-D look of the average 2-D Zelda game? Or do you want the average top-down/side view of the average Metroid game, exluding the Metroid Prime games? It's your choice, but since the palettes in both tilesets are similar, but not exactly alike, you can take tiles from one set and put them in another. It's great for when you want a quest with 2 different perspectives. Take my Metroid quest, for example. The first real are of my quest has to use tiles from the MTPP set because of the look I want, but that same perspective won't work in the intro area (Phazon Frigate), because of the top-down look I need there. Besides, it looks more like it's floating in space with a top-down view than with a 3-D-ish view.

View Post

Yeah, I like Exate's MXL and MTPP sets more than any other Metroid set. They even include combos for cutscenes! icon_lol.gif But I can't make cutscenes. icon_confused.gif

#5 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

Ninelives has a pretty nice one himself in the Metroid Clan. The Metroid-YZ tileset.

#6 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Oct 6 2006, 06:33 PM)
Ninelives has a pretty nice one himself in the Metroid Clan.  The Metroid-YZ tileset.

View Post

True, but that 2.11 Metroid set is a bit unorganized. icon_neutral.gif

#7 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(Pokegamer1989 @ Oct 6 2006, 07:17 PM)
True, but that 2.11 Metroid set is a bit unorganized. icon_neutral.gif

View Post

So are Exate's sets. It all comes to down to graphics. Which has the better graphics in your opinion? That's what matters.

#8 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Oct 6 2006, 08:45 PM)
So are Exate's sets. It all comes to down to graphics. Which has the better graphics in your opinion? That's what matters.

View Post

But they're not nearly as unorganized as the Metroid YZ set.

#9 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(Pokegamer1989 @ Oct 6 2006, 08:55 PM)
But they're not nearly as unorganized as the Metroid YZ set.

View Post

What are you talking about? Have you even bothered used the tileset for long? Give the guy some credit, he had to build it off of the bad Prime tileset. If I wanted too, I couldn't use Exate's set because it's so unorganized. I would rip from it and rip it into my set since the good stuff are very organized. The palletes though are not, which is why I'm looking forward to Sharons set if he realeses it.

#10 Nimono

Nimono

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

Is that all that matters anymore- organization? I can't believe you. I like Exate's tilesets. I don't care how unorganized a tileset is, I'll use it as long as it's not weird-looking. Trust me, just because a tileset is unorganized doesn't mean you can't make a quest with it. How do you think I'm making my Metroid quest? That said, just go with whatever tileset you choose to use, sci. Just don't let organization determine what tileset you choose. You can have the most organized tileset out there, but if it looks terrible, what difference does it make? It'd still look bad. Organization is just for ease of finding tiles and combos, but... It has no meaning to me, someone who likes things disorganized.

#11 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Deathbringer @ Oct 7 2006, 08:36 AM)
What are you talking about? Have you even bothered used the tileset for long? Give the guy some credit, he had to build it off of the bad Prime tileset. If I wanted too, I couldn't use Exate's set because it's so unorganized. I would rip from it and rip it into my set since the good stuff are very organized. The palletes though are not, which is why I'm looking forward to Sharons set if he realeses it.

View Post

Well, the new enemies in Exate's Metroid sets are not unorganized except for the rock.
But those in the MYZ set are really unorganized. icon_sweat.gif Oh, and the Metroid Prime Set has graphics from Exate's crappy Metroid SR set.
And I'm not sure Sharon will ever release the Metroid Omega Set. icon_unsettled.gif

#12 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(Pokegamer1989 @ Oct 7 2006, 09:43 AM)
Well, the new enemies in Exate's Metroid sets are not unorganized except for the rock.
But those in the MYZ set are really unorganized. icon_sweat.gif Oh, and the Metroid Prime Set has graphics from Exate's crappy Metroid SR set.
And I'm not sure Sharon will ever release the Metroid Omega Set. icon_unsettled.gif

View Post

All new enemies are organized because they have to be organized, the enemy Csets are not that organized either. The ones XDB used weren't that much worse either.

And dude, thats my tileset, not Sharon's. icon_eek.gif

QUOTE(Matthew @ Oct 7 2006, 09:03 AM)
Is that all that matters anymore- organization? I can't believe you. I like Exate's tilesets. I don't care how unorganized a tileset is, I'll use it as long as it's not weird-looking. Trust me, just because a tileset is unorganized doesn't mean you can't make a quest with it. How do you think I'm making my Metroid quest? That said, just go with whatever tileset you choose to use, sci. Just don't let organization determine what tileset you choose. You can have the most organized tileset out there, but if it looks terrible, what difference does it make? It'd still look bad. Organization is just for ease of finding tiles and combos, but... It has no meaning to me, someone who likes things disorganized.

View Post

No but it's very hard to find the things you are looking for in Exate's Metroid sets. Httd isn't that bad in organization. Everything is completely scattered in the Metroid sets. Therefore, it takes more time to find things.

Edited by Deathbringer, 07 October 2006 - 10:11 AM.

#13 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:29 PM

one thing I see a lot in Metroid tilesets is that they rely heavily on rips and tiles borrowed from other sets.

A thing I'd like to see in future Metroid tilesets are tiles that are actually ment to be seen from a top down perspective. Not the Chozo Statues from Zero Mission that look like they fell on they're side. We are not Nintendo, true, but its amazing what a few people can draw. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Master_of_Power, 07 October 2006 - 12:31 PM.

#14 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Oct 7 2006, 12:29 PM)
one thing I see a lot in Metroid tilesets is that they relies heavily on rips and tiles borrowed from other sets.

View Post

icon_eek.gif Uh, mostly every single tileset in the database is ripped from other sets. Whats your point? I do agree on the top down perspective but its bit hard to find that type of thing around here anyways. Unless I want to rip from CT then I'm out of luck. But then again, theres also the Fire powered ship and the Magitech Factory I could rip from....<_<

#15 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Deathbringer @ Oct 7 2006, 10:08 AM)
And dude, thats my tileset, not Sharon's. icon_eek.gif
No but it's very hard to find the things you are looking for in Exate's Metroid sets. Httd isn't that bad in organization. Everything is completely scattered in the Metroid sets. Therefore, it takes more time to find things.

View Post

Oh, that's yours? Well then, are you ever going to release it? And I know Exate sucks at organizing tiles in his Metroid sets. BTW, Deathbringer, his HTTD Set is a 2.11 set, so it got removed from the Database. Because 2.11 tilesets aren't allowed in the Database.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users