Photo

Should the ZC Feature Showcase be competitive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the ZC Feature Showcase be competitive? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the PureZC Showcase have a Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

This is a question I asked before, but after a heated debate in the discord server over the issue, I decided to post this question again to remove all confusion of what the community is looking for in the new contest. I am removing the option "maybe" to make sure that there are no confusion in what the community wants going forward.  

If you're still undecided between the showcase being competitive or not, I'd recommend just nulling your vote. 

Thank you, and I apologies for these types of topics, but they are necessary to make the ZC Feature Showcase exactly what the community wants, and it's not good when there is confusion being made into the decision and creation process. 

• Anthus likes this

#2 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

No competitive elements. Please.
The idea of the Pure ZC feature showcase is to showcase features. Making that a contest takes away the idea that it is a showcase and it turns it into another contest like SotW. There need to not be a contest for every event here.

• RedmageAdam and Matthew like this

#3 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

No competitive elements. Please.
The idea of the Pure ZC feature showcase is to showcase features. Making that a contest takes away the idea that it is a showcase and it turns it into another contest like SotW. There need to not be a contest for every event here.

I'm going to say the same thing I said to another member who's views are in favor of competitiveness, I'm leaving it entirely up to the polls. I made the mistake of leaving the poll up for interpretation the last time that I'm going back to make certain there are no mistakes or misunderstandings this time. 

#4 Dimi

Dimi

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Forum Staff

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:18 PM

Screenshot contests shouldn't be the only contests to exist. We need more contests that aren't "look at all these pretty screens that won't ever become real quests". I vote yes.

• Anthus likes this

#5 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

The idea for this contest reminds me of the Creation Compendium the Terraria Community Forums have been running. I hope to see this contest turn into something like the Creation Compendium.

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

I also kinda like the name. Even changing "Feature" to "Creation" in the existing title we have here is not only more accurate, but solves an issue ZoriaRPG has with this contest's current name.

#7 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

The vote on whether this thing should be competitive or not is starting to get pretty... competitive. ;p

#8 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Staff

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

I went ahead, and voted "No" (Not competitive), but not for reasons you may expect. I like the idea of a competition like this, but I feel like having there be a sole winner could be discouraging to less skilled ZCers. Now, you could say "make better content" or "get better with the program" but that can come across as.. well, not very constructive, even if it is true. The last thing you want is for people to not enter because "(they) know they can't win if ___ enters".

Not sure how you feel about this, but I'm just throwing this out there: You can still have a competitive aspect of the contest. Perhaps there could be a winner for each vote category?

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

Screenshot contests shouldn't be the only contests to exist. We need more contests that aren't "look at all these pretty screens that won't ever become real quests". I vote yes.

See, part of this that makes me wonder why this is even an issue is that polls still exist. You're still voting for what you consider good in certain areas, but they are now multiple choice. I don't see why this is a bad thing?

Like I said in the discord server, I'm for competition, but I do feel the multiple choice polls gives people freedom to choose more than a single submission for each category we are familiar with.

So instead of picking "A best", we can pick multiple submissions that we consider "professional", "Creative", "Useful", and "Entertaining".

In one of these categories, there may be 2 or 3 submissions I feel that fit, and I wouldn't want to be restricted to voting for just one (Even though I personally null all my votes because I am hosting).

So ya, I thought when I posted this topic, that people understood clearly what this was about. I thought this was settled, but after the heated debate earlier, it clearly wasn't settled.

You can still in your head decide the winner of each category through the total number of votes. Not once did I say the polls were going away. The only true changes that's been made here is that "Best Overall" was replaced with "Professional" and the polls are now multiple choice, which I've stated the advantages of this above. 

• Anthus likes this

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Paladin

• Members

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:23 PM

Entering with the sole objective of winning is actually something that may be self-defeating.

I prefer to enter for the fun of it; plus these things usually spark my creativity.

That being said, I didn't vote one way or another.

In the end, the outcome is not going to influence whether I partake in this new venture or not.

• Anthus, NewJourneysFire and Naru like this

#11 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Forum Staff

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:27 AM

I think it should be competitive in the sense that there should be polls. Whether those polls are actually Best Overall or just categories is a different thing though.

And I might even considering making them multiple choice to throw off the competitive edge a little bit. Granted, if you do that, I might even just toss in that Best Overall Category.

Edited by Shoshon the Elegant, 16 December 2017 - 11:17 AM.

• Dimi likes this

#12 Dimi

Dimi

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Forum Staff

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

See, part of this that makes me wonder why this is even an issue is that polls still exist. You're still voting for what you consider good in certain areas, but they are now multiple choice. I don't see why this is a bad thing?

Like I said in the discord server, I'm for competition, but I do feel the multiple choice polls gives people freedom to choose more than a single submission for each category we are familiar with.

So instead of picking "A best", we can pick multiple submissions that we consider "professional", "Creative", "Useful", and "Entertaining".

In one of these categories, there may be 2 or 3 submissions I feel that fit, and I wouldn't want to be restricted to voting for just one (Even though I personally null all my votes because I am hosting).

So ya, I thought when I posted this topic, that people understood clearly what this was about. I thought this was settled, but after the heated debate earlier, it clearly wasn't settled.

You can still in your head decide the winner of each category through the total number of votes. Not once did I say the polls were going away. The only true changes that's been made here is that "Best Overall" was replaced with "Professional" and the polls are now multiple choice, which I've stated the advantages of this above. 

You mentioned earlier before the debate that you were questioning "if we even need polls for ZC showcase", which is why I spoke up. My misunderstanding, I guess.

#13 ZoriaRPG

ZoriaRPG

The Timelord

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

I also kinda like the name. Even changing "Feature" to "Creation" in the existing title we have here is not only more accurate, but solves an issue ZoriaRPG has with this contest's current name.

Yes, please.

That is a much better naming convention.

I think that competition is what makes people interested in these things, at all. Otherwise, they could just post a topic and discuss what they are doing.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Staff

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:18 PM

I think that competition is what makes people interested in these things, at all. Otherwise, they could just post a topic and discuss what they are doing.

That's true, but I think part of the allure for these contes-- erhm, showcases is that it allows a lot of people to show off their stuff at once in a way that is likely to be noticed more than a lone thread. Plus, just having a things like this is good if there's interest, just to give us something to do. We all look forward to the expos, and those are not competitive. Perhaps having this also be non-competitive would make it too hard to differentiate between the two?

And like ywkls said, I will watch/ participate either way, so whatever the community wants! 

So, with that, I am changing my vote to Yes, make it competitive. Yep.

(edit: Small forum question: Every member has the ability to delete and recast, right? That's not exclusive to people with some sort of title, is it? Just curious.)

#15 Dimi

Dimi

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Forum Staff

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

(edit: Small forum question: Every member has the ability to delete and recast, right? That's not exclusive to people with some sort of title, is it? Just curious.)

Forum members don't have the ability to delete posts outright, no. They can only edit their posts to something blank at best.

Welp, I misinterpreted that. All members have the ability to delete their vote and recast, yeah.

Edited by Dimentio, 16 December 2017 - 02:10 PM.

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users