Photo

Screenshot of the Week 325

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (52 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:47 AM

Pabru definitely won my vote this time. icon_smile.gif I approve of this usage of DoR. Well, with a couple of small exceptions. But hey, that's normal for me. I'm pretty picky about DoR. Go figure. icon_razz.gif Specifically, there's the waterfall cave. It looks weird that way. But it could use some new tiles to solve the problem. The second is that I wouldn't use the lapping waves in ALL of the places where ocean meets land; I think the regular tiles should suffice where water meets rock, especially away from shore.

But anyway, the good news is that I come bearing tiles. I'm not going to talk about the other screenshots really, because I want to explain the tiles instead.

I can see how people might want a cave that is visible behind a waterfall. It's a little obvious, but maybe you want to be obvious sometimes, rather than make the player guess that they have to walk into the waterfall. So, would you like something that looks like this?...

IPB Image

If so, you need just one tiny tile.
That's right, only one. The rest is combo work. Here it is:

IPB Image

It's a translucent cave overlay. I know, it's hard to see on black, but rip it into ZC and look at it in the pixel editor; you'll be able to tell what it does if you do that. Here's how you use it:
  1. Go into the combo list and make a second copy your normal waterfall combo. Keep the appearance the same, but change the new combo's combo type to "Cave" (any type of cave). Make sure the bottom half is walkable. You can make it another kind of warp if you prefer, actually, if you use the correct walk flags.
  2. Rip the cave overlay in. Create a combo for it. No walk flags, animation, or combo properties are needed.
  3. Put the "cave" type waterfall combo on layer 0.
  4. Place the cave overlay you ripped on layer 1 or 2. Make sure that layer is translucent (a.k.a. transparent).
  5. Build the rest of the waterfall around it. Make sure the area in front of the cave is swimmable water so the player can get to it. And don't forget your warp return point!
Yes, the cave outline is on a LAYER. Not the other way around. For visual purposes, it needs to be on top so that the water itself appears as normal. The waterfall combo underneath it may look like a regular waterfall, but it should have a warp combo type of some sort (such as "Cave (Walk Up)").

This is a very simple fix. There are much more complicated ways to do it that will elicit a fancier appearance. But if you just want a translucent effect where the cave can be seen through the waterfall ripples, this method should work just fine.

P.S. -

QUOTE(Lord Settra! @ Jun 21 2011, 06:52 AM) View Post
Pabro's Pic is my favourite one. Nice pure-shot. ^^

Er, it's the Dance of Remembrance tileset, and Pabru's name ends with "u." icon_wink.gif

#17 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

Sorry, but I voted for no one. What has happened to PureZC? I really miss those glory days in the past. Sorry to be so blunt, but those screenshots really don't look that good. :/

#18 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

They're all a bit bland in my opinion... Don't really stand out honestly, voted for MoscowModder anyways. Looks the best.

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

And to the last two posts I must say:

What the heck are you smoking? These are perfectly good screens, and if you think PureZC had "glory days" where all the screenshots were better than these, I have a feeling you're seeing the past with rose-colored glasses, or selectively recalling only a few of the best shots out of hundreds.

#20 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 25 2011, 07:44 PM) View Post

And to the last two posts I must say:

What the heck are you smoking? These are perfectly good screens, and if you think PureZC had "glory days" where all the screenshots were better than these, I have a feeling you're seeing the past with rose-colored glasses, or selectively recalling only a few of the best shots out of hundreds.

What I wasn't even here during the glory days how could I think that. I don't smoke I'm too young by the way~~

They don't seem good as the rest, is all I meant, like last weeks seemed better. They're a bit not good I'd say.

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Rover @ Jun 25 2011, 04:49 PM) View Post
What I wasn't even here during the glory days how could I think that. I don't smoke I'm too young by the way~~

They don't seem good as the rest, is all I meant, like last weeks seemed better. They're a bit not good I'd say.

Well, I must admit... to be fair, Christian was the one who commented about "glory days." And I wasn't serious about the smoking. It's just a figure of speech.

Last week's SOTW probably seemed better because there were more than twice as many entrants. If you only look at the 3 best out of the 8 entries from last week, of course they'll be better than these three on average. Last week also had shots that were inferior to all three from this week. All in all, I think the average quality is the same.

This week also has fewer newly-ripped tiles. Most of the tiles are from ready-made tilesets. This may be misleading, because the actual quality of the screen design is not necessarily inferior.

#22 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 25 2011, 08:06 PM) View Post

Well, I must admit... to be fair, Christian was the one who commented about "glory days." And I wasn't serious about the smoking. It's just a figure of speech.

Last week's probably seemed better because there were more than twice as many entrants. If you only look at the 3 best out of the 8 entries from last week, of course they'll be better than these three on average. Last week also had shots that were inferior to all three from this week. All in all, I think the average quality is the same.

This week also has fewer newly-ripped tiles. Most of the tiles are from ready-made tilesets. This may be misleading, because the actual quality of the screen design is not necessarily inferior.

Mmm last week's shots were still better.

Not trying to be a complete idiot here now, but honestly I don't really "care" about the technical tile rips or whatever. In my opinion (my eyes) the screens look better last week than this week, that was all I was trying to say. Hopefully I don't sound stupid in this, I just kind of went off or something for some reason or something. icon_razz.gif

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Pabru - 35 votes = [74.47%]
MoscowModder - 7 votes= [14.89%]
linktopower - 5 votes = [10.64%]
Total Votes = 47

Pabru
IPB Image
"HEY!" "Oh not now! Navi, please be quiet!" "LISTEN!"