Photo

Differences between NES and ZC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Banana Pudding

Banana Pudding

• Members

Posted 01 February 2023 - 12:54 AM

I notice that the attack animations and damage/touch settings are slightly looser on the ZC version as compared to NES.  Such as, bumping into enemies isnt as sharp as it should be, allowing link an extra pixel or so to where sometimes the animations overlap and he isnt damaged.  Sometimes when link is next to an enemy but facing another direction and you hit the sword command the enemy can be damaged.  Sometimes enemies are out of range and are hit anyways.  In the original NES version these things were possible but were uncommon and had to be precisely pulled off to make happen.  This makes playing ZC seem somewhat easier and allows you to be less precise, making for a looser game experience.  Is there a way to tighten the gameplay up so that its more like the NES version?

Edited by Banana Pudding, 01 February 2023 - 12:55 AM.

#2 Banana Pudding

Banana Pudding

• Members

Posted 01 February 2023 - 02:57 AM

Another big difference is that when you use the boomerang at close range on the ZC Link takes a second to ready it again for another throw.  On NES if an enemy is right next to you then the boomerang can be thrown fast without delays. 

Edited by Banana Pudding, 01 February 2023 - 02:57 AM.

#3 Banana Pudding

Banana Pudding

• Members

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:36 PM

The potions on NES dont combine into a red potion when you pick up two blue potions.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 February 2023 - 01:39 AM

A lot of these changes are either intentional or so old that most players are used to them. ZC wasn't really intended to be a byte for byte remake of the original Zelda and thus the code side of things is entirely different. Stuff like the potions upgrading can be easily fixed in the editor and the rest could be a script or feature request, if you need those behaviors for your quest. If you want to make a feature request and get in touch with the devs, I'd also recommend checking the ZC dev discord server:

https://discord.gg/XgrqVve5

That's where the bulk of discussion happens these days.

• Taco Chopper likes this

#5 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 02 February 2023 - 01:22 PM

NES and ZC are also completely different letters

• Magi_Hero, Anthus, Taco Chopper and 1 other like this

#6 Banana Pudding

Banana Pudding

• Members

Posted 21 April 2023 - 06:24 PM

Understood.  Thought I would point it though, because, having played the original countless hours, those tiny differences are very noticeable.

• nicklegends and coolgamer012345 like this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 September 2023 - 06:44 AM

Actually, ZC was meant to be a perfect duplication of Z1, right down to early builds usng 8x8 pixel graphics. That goal was simply never finished. Enemy behaviours and drop mechanics were simply not documented as well in 199 as they are today. Literally everything on the NES and on the FC could be implemente in ZC, but there is no demand for that.

• Bagu likes this

#8 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 06 October 2023 - 01:05 AM

Actually, ZC was meant to be a perfect duplication of Z1, right down to early builds usng 8x8 pixel graphics. That goal was simply never finished. Enemy behaviours and drop mechanics were simply not documented as well in 199 as they are today. Literally everything on the NES and on the FC could be implemente in ZC, but there is no demand for that.

I knew this program was old, but damn :P
  • Bagu likes this

#9 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 06 October 2023 - 03:04 AM

I knew this program was old, but damn :P

I just realized, that I missed about 20 years of ZC...
...shame on me!

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 October 2023 - 02:27 AM

One huge difference is in the way that drop sets are handled. On the NES Legend of Zelda, drops are determined by a specific table and by how you kill enemies. In Zelda Classic everything is completely random, and rules such as the bomb drop rule and other factors do not apply. There are certainly other factors with enemies such as the g l e e o k, where in the original NES version it is possible to damage the floating heads with bombs.

There are certainly far more engine differences to list, but this is at least a start. I was always willing to try to adapt Zelda Classic so that all Zelda from the NES mechanics were in play, but this is a situation that requires a lot of attention for very minor details and very few people are willing to work on it.

At one time I was working on a script to replicate the NES drop set mechanics and some of the other NES mechanics, but I never finished this and I wanted it to be built into the engine at the discretion of the quest creator.

I am not even sure how many people realize that the heads of the g l e e o k enemy our vulnerable to bombs in the original game. Sorry for the weird spacing, but this is Shabbat and I have to use speech to text.

Edited by Timelord, 07 October 2023 - 02:27 AM.

• Bagu likes this

#11 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 October 2023 - 01:56 PM

One huge difference is in the way that drop sets are handled. On the NES Legend of Zelda, drops are determined by a specific table and by how you kill enemies. In Zelda Classic everything is completely random, and rules such as the bomb drop rule and other factors do not apply. There are certainly other factors with enemies such as the g l e e o k, where in the original NES version it is possible to damage the floating heads with bombs.

There are certainly far more engine differences to list, but this is at least a start. I was always willing to try to adapt Zelda Classic so that all Zelda from the NES mechanics were in play, but this is a situation that requires a lot of attention for very minor details and very few people are willing to work on it.

At one time I was working on a script to replicate the NES drop set mechanics and some of the other NES mechanics, but I never finished this and I wanted it to be built into the engine at the discretion of the quest creator.

I am not even sure how many people realize that the heads of the g l e e o k enemy our vulnerable to bombs in the original game. Sorry for the weird spacing, but this is Shabbat and I have to use speech to text.

could you like, not use black text that's almost impossible to read?

#12 zcfan27330

zcfan27330

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:27 PM

Playing Zelda Randomizer, one thing I've noticed, if you don't have the raft you are still able to escape a raft driven area. (in the official 3rd, you can whistle to level 4 in quest 1, not have the raft and escape by the raft even if you don't have it) This isn't true in Zelda Randomizer on the NES

of course this might of been changed in Zelda Classic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users