Help New Quest

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

So I am starting to make a new quest, And i have run into something I call.. error I guess. Here is the screenshot when testing my game:

XKf8C53.jpg

I dont want the guy to be red like that.. ( Duh.. XD) So, what can i do to fix it? I would also like the room to have a different CSet. Thanks, if anyone can help. Also, encase this matters, I am using ZQuest 2.5 r2 (or r1) and the DoR tileset.

And also, Whenever I enter this place, Link is where he stands now ^

Edited by PacmanGamez, 22 August 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#2 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Move the arrival square and place it in the middle of the door.

When you say you don't want the room to look like this, do you mean it looks different in ZQ and when you play it? If so, that's because you have a palette enabled for the screen that is not the same as your dmap palette. Only the dmap palette is used when you're playing.

#3 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Move the arrival square and place it in the middle of the door.

When you say you don't want the room to look like this, do you mean it looks different in ZQ and when you play it? If so, that's because you have a palette enabled for the screen that is not the same as your dmap palette. Only the dmap palette is used when you're playing.

I have the arival square at the center of the door.. Should I post a screen shot of how it looks in the quest editor (ZQuest)?

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

That seems like a good idea, go ahead.

#5 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

That seems like a good idea, go ahead.

Ok.. Here is the screenshot of How the screen looks in zquest, and how it looks where you enter the place:

Where you enter:

IjplOdk.jpg

The room:

CvtstzM.jpg

If it matters, the room where you talk to the man is on the same dmap as the place you enter the room.. Except on screen 80.

#6 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

If you want Link to appear in the center of the doorway, you need to change the warp type from "Cave/Item Cellar" to "Entrance/Exit".  If you want the room to have a different Cset, press = or - on the keyboard to place combos with another Cset (this took me a while to figure out).

• Nightmeres likes this

#7 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

If you want Link to appear in the center of the doorway, you need to change the warp type from "Cave/Item Cellar" to "Entrance/Exit".  If you want the room to have a different Cset, press = or - on the keyboard to place combos with another Cset (this took me a while to figure out).

I know, but the old man looks different in the actual game, and I cant figure out how to fix it.. So i put this forum up. Also, about the Cave/Item Cellar to Entrance/Exit, how wouldi make the old man give link the item?

#8 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Ok I did that, But now im not sure how to get the guy to show up when you enter the screen.. Lol i sound like such a noob... I used to be good at making quests, but then they all got deleted and i forgot all about zquest.

#9 CaRmAgE

CaRmAgE

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

And also, Whenever I enter this place, Link is where he stands now ^

Cave/Item rooms, as well as 3-stair warp and passageway rooms, ignore warp return points.  The only way to make your setup work is to move the room to a new DMap and use an Entrance/Exit warp to take Link there.

Also, about the Cave/Item Cellar to Entrance/Exit, how wouldi make the old man give link the item?

Make the new DMap a non-overworld type, and give it a level number greater than 9 that you won't be using for actual dungeons.  Move your room into this new DMap, make it a special item room, and set your guy, text, and special item like normal.

On a more minor note, in your first screenshot, "to" should be "too".

Edited by CaRmAgE, 22 August 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#10 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Cave/Item rooms, as well as 3-stair warp and passageway rooms, ignore warp return points.  The only way to make your setup work is to move the room to a new DMap and use an Entrance/Exit warp to take Link there.

Make the new DMap a non-overworld type, and give it a level number greater than 9 that you won't be using for actual dungeons.  Move your room into this new DMap, make it a special item room, and set your guy, text, and special item like normal.

On a more minor note, in your first screenshot, "to" should be "too".

I tried that just now, And it didnt seem to work.. Maybe I did something wrong. I'll fool around with it for a bit. Am I supposed to set the Guy, message string etc on the screen that leads you to the room like normally? Cause that didn't work. Also, what am I supposed to make the new DMap's type?

Edited by PacmanGamez, 22 August 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#11 CaRmAgE

CaRmAgE

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

Am I supposed to set the Guy, message string etc on the screen that leads you to the room like normally? Cause that didn't work.

IjplOdk.jpg

This screen above should just have a tile warp with Entrance/Exit type to the new DMap.  No room type, guy, etc.

CvtstzM.jpg

Have this room in the new DMap of either NES Dungeon or Interior type (I don't think it matters which one in this case, but I've never used interior before).  Set your guy, room type, message string, special item here.  Have a side warp on the south side that takes Link back to the previous screen, also of type Entrance/Exit.

EDIT: Make sure you move the room somewhere other than screen 80.  Screen 80 is only for the Cave/Item warp type.

Edited by CaRmAgE, 22 August 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#12 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:23 PM

This screen above should just have a tile warp with Entrance/Exit type to the new DMap.  No room type, guy, etc.

Have this room in the new DMap of either NES Dungeon or Interior type (I don't think it matters which one in this case, but I've never used interior before).  Set your guy, room type, message string, special item here.  Have a side warp on the south side that takes Link back to the previous screen, also of type Entrance/Exit.

EDIT: Make sure you move the room somewhere other than screen 80.  Screen 80 is only for the Cave/Item warp type.

The room for the item is on screen 00 on my new DMap. When i enter the room, Nothing happens. The guy doesnt show up, even after i've done what you said. :/

Edited by PacmanGamez, 22 August 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#13 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is the case but check your dmap flags, is the flag guys are in caves only checked? (probably looks a bit different) but if it is uncheck it, might help.

#14 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'm not sure if this is the case but check your dmap flags, is the flag guys are in caves only checked? (probably looks a bit different) but if it is uncheck it, might help.

Hey! That fixed it.... but the stupid guy is still red... Ugh.. 

#15 PacmanGamez

PacmanGamez

Junior

• Members

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

I have looked up how to make the guy not red, but found nothing. Anyone know how to fix this?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, New, Quest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users