Photo

making a custom quest kill pols voices with sound

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

The Hyrule Fantasy - The Legend of Zelda

large-e1345011780453.jpg

Pols-Voice-LoZ-Sprite.png

loudnoise.jpg

pols voice versus noise
In both the original FDS version and the Japanese re-release on cartridge, Pols Voice is invulnerable to arrows, but instead it's extra-vulnerable to the Famicom's built-in microphone feature. As the NES system lacked this feature, it was instead given a weakness to arrows. Besides this weakness, they can also be defeated the hard way with the sword in all versions of the game. Some support for the Famicom Microphone remains in the NES version, however, as using an emulator with the microphone ability enabled will also work.

thanks to the folks in chat that knew this stuff and provided links. I felt I had to share because surely many other folks don't know much about the original Japanese game. did any developers and/or script writers consider this type of enemy elimination mechanism? can our quests do this? would you want a quest to do this?

Edited by trudatman, 30 June 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

This would be a very easy thing to script I'd think since the whistle is actually an eweapon unless I'm completely mistaken.

Edit: Unless you meant screaming at Zelda classic which is completely retarded and (thankfully) impossible.

I feel I should apologize for this even if it is like half a year after the fact. That was hardly a respectful way of saying "I don't think this is a good idea."

Edited by Moosh, 01 July 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#3 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

While looking at the enemy tiles in 2.5, I saw that there's non-implemented Pols Voice tiles labeled "Whistle". It looks like the devs are planning on implementing Pols Voices that are weak to the whistle.

Heck, after I'd first found ZC a couple of years ago, I tried using the whistle on Pols Voices (not a custom quest; just the 1st quest) because I remembered (just like the manual says, BTW) that Pols Voices are supposed to be weak to sound; their big ears hint at that as well. I was surprised to find it didn't work.
I'd never played the japanese version, just the original version on the NES. Now I'm doubting whether or not the whistle worked on them in the original NES version. Why would they put it in the manual anyway if you can't use the whistle on them???

I thought for certain that you could use the enemy editor to make a Whistle Pols Voice. However, I just checked, and there is no "Whistle" slot in either of the "Defenses" tabs. icon_frown.gif Man, I thought for certain there would be... That means, without scripting, the only enemy type weak to the whistle is Digdogger, and you can't (without scripting) make a jumping digdogger enemy. Bummer. icon_neutral.gif

#4 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

The Famicom (the Japanese version of the NES) included a mic in the controller, and when you made a loud noise into it it would kill Pols Voices, which are otherwise difficult to kill. Since the NES controller didn't come with a mic, this was impossible to do, so they replaced this weakness with a weakness to arrows.

If it had been me I would have just made them sensitive to the whistle, which indeed made more sense, but that's not the way it happened, so we non-Japanese gamers got arrow-sensitive Pols Voices instead.

#5 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think what he meant was more along the lines of actually screaming at Zelda Classic via a computer microphone. I don't know how possible this is, as there is no existing use for the microphone in the realm of ZC input. But yes a whistle would be eeeaaaaasssyyy

#6 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

You could probably do this right now... sort of, but it would involve more than just Zelda Classic.

First off, you'd have to create an extra button or something that is solely dedicated to "voice activated" stuff such as killing Pols Voice through scripting. Of course, Zelda Classic wouldn't actually be able to tell that you are voice activating stuff since the key is a messenger, so someone could be a cheater and just press the button instead of going through the rest of this.

After setting up the script, you'd have to find an application of some sort that accepts voice commands (or whatever so long as it is loud) and allows you to emulate keyboard input from those commands while other applications (like Zelda Classic) are in focus. It would then just be a matter of mapping the screaming to activate the button you've mapped with scripting to kill Pols Voice.

I'm not doing this, though. I have enough I'm working on as it is. But I thought that might be helpful for someone with too much time on their hands to try. icon_blah.gif

#7 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

we don't yell at our games effectively enough.  I think this would be fun.  yell at a boss and he is less well composed and more haphazard in his attacks/defense....  little enemies that scatter when you make enough noise....

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

That could be both a horrible and awesome boss. In order to beat him you'd have to yell until your throat is sore.

• LikeLike on fire likes this

#9 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

If this takes off, ZC will be the cause of many fathers telling their kids to shut the hell up.

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUICK! NIP IT IN THE BUD!

I shall now be the first to suggest a feature to not be included in ZC 3.0: microphone support.

Why, trudat? Why did you even?

#11 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

everybody has their own Hyrule Fantasy.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

As someone who played the FDS game, I liked this feature, and I can see other ways to use it.

#13 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Something that bothers me is that a digdogger has one MASSIVE eye but it is weak to the whistle, And a PollsVoice has MASSIVE ears but it is weak to arrows... Don't you think the digdogger should be weak to the arrows and PollsVoice weak to the whistle?

#14 Nightmeres

Nightmeres

Defender

• Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

Why would he need to script? Since 2.5 has the editor couldn't he make it immune to everything except the whistle?

#15 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

There is no "weak to the whistle" option in the enemy editor. Only digdoggers are weak to the whistle, but they are hardcoded (they're necessarily 2x2 tiles and their movement style is not editable) so you can't make them seem to be pols voices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users