problems with Pokemon grass

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

okay, i have a screen with Pokemon grass.

IPB Image
simple. but, when you cut say,

IPB Image
there, there, and there.

IPB Image
but then,it ends up like this. were the grass that is above the grass that is coming out of
the ground is just floating there.

IPB Image
I want it to when you cut said grass showed above, it turns into this.
but i don't know how to do that. Any help?

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'm pretty sure that's impossible without scripting. Possibly impossible even WITH scripting...

#3 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Jun 25 2010, 05:23 PM) View Post

I'm pretty sure that's impossible without scripting. Possibly impossible even WITH scripting...

then why bother making tiles for the grass? that was to who ever made these tiles.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jun 25 2010, 11:31 PM) View Post

then why bother making tiles for the grass? that was to who ever made these tiles.
First off, it's not impossible with scripting, I am certain. Secondly, I don't think you should go off saying that whoever uploaded said tiles just "wasted their time" or whatever. If something doesn't work the way you want it to, don't use it, but don't come here and tell said person that his work was pointless. That's not very nice, and if I was said person, I would be offended. I'm done.

#5 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

Its possible with scripting. It involves detecting whether each individual tile is Tall Grass or a certain combo number. Its not that difficult.

Also, I'd like to point out the reason anyone submits anything or makes anything: To be creative. Or maybe its to get some street cred, also?

Just because they're in the database doesn't mean you can expect them to work properly when used, or could possibly work properly when used. They're there because someone worked hard to make them or rip them, and no rule states they have to be useful.

#6 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jun 25 2010, 06:58 PM) View Post

First off, it's not impossible with scripting, I am certain. Secondly, I don't think you should go off saying that whoever uploaded said tiles just "wasted their time" or whatever. If something doesn't work the way you want it to, don't use it, but don't come here and tell said person that his work was pointless. That's not very nice, and if I was said person, I would be offended. I'm done.

well i am not going to use lame"lttp" tall grass in a "dor" game. this grass looks really cool. but it just dose not work properly.
can any one else suggest cool looking tall grass that i could use?

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jun 25 2010, 05:31 PM) View Post

I'm positive that this grass was not meant for cutting but for overhead nonsense.

#8 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Jun 26 2010, 06:18 AM) View Post

I'm positive that this grass was not meant for cutting but for overhead nonsense.

He's right, although you could got someone to script what you want, these were originally not for cutting.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 26 June 2010 - 01:20 PM.

#9 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Try using a cycling combo on them. That may work.

#10 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Master Maniac @ Jun 27 2010, 08:50 PM) View Post

Try using a cycling combo on them. That may work.

i'm not all that good with combo cycling yet...icon_frown.gif

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:44 PM) View Post
well i am not going to use lame"lttp" tall grass in a "dor" game.

What's lame about it? Most of DoR is designed after LttP, even if it doesn't always use tiles ripped from LttP.

And in any case, I seem to remember that I drew animated grass to include in the DoR tileset. I don't mean to sound vain, but I thought it was kinda cool.

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jun 25 2010, 07:44 PM) View Post
can any one else suggest cool looking tall grass that i could use?

Have you checked Minish Cap? It might have single-combo tall grass.

Just make sure that each individual tile can be removed without throwing off the "pattern." Then you know it can be used in ZC (without scripting, anyway).

QUOTE(cremeens1000 @ Jun 25 2010, 04:31 PM) View Post

While I agree with Migokalle that you're being a little too harsh, I wanted to comment...

The introduction of scripting into ZC has led some people to submit graphics which are not very useful in ZC, with the justification that they can be implemented with scripting.

The usefulness of these tiles varies wildly. If you don't consider grass to be very important, obviously you will hardly want to import a script just to handle your grass. But in theory, some people REALLY want unique grass and would be willing to import a script for it. (Or write one, even. Somebody's gotta write it.)

However, there's no fair way to weed out graphics that require scripting but aren't worth the effort. So it's up to you to read the descriptions and figure out whether you want the tiles or not. The most we can do as staff is to add a note to the submission pointing out that the tiles require scripting.

#12 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

I can try setting something up for you. I can't do it till this weekend though. You see there's a pretty simple fix.

What I'm going to do is:
1. Make a better undercombo.
2. Make an undercombo that connects to the grass above it.
3. Make a separate undercombo for the top of the tall grass so it doesn't look choppy.

If you use this and set up your undercombos right it'll look fine I think. Like I said though, I'm traveling right now and won't have time till this weekend.

Edit - By the way, this was even a problem for Nintendo icon_razz.gif In TMC the tall grass has the same graphics problem and wasn't fixed. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edited by Rafael, 30 June 2010 - 08:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users