144 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

IPB Image

Post updated 3/31/2010.

Background: In April of 2009 (when this was originally posted), fellow PureZC member Plissken PM'ed me about a collaboration project for ZebraStallion's One Map Quest Contest that was being held at that time. I was more than happy to oblige; we've both been fans of each others' work for a while and I even helped with Plissken's then-main project, Despair. In addition, I was looking for something to "refresh" me so I could get in gear on my project, Blackness of Eternity.

ZebraStallion's contest was dropped due to inactivity (a sad fate for most of our member-started contests) but by that point Plissken and I had concluded that this project was too good to rush to a quick conclusion. As it stands, we've both dropped our individual projects but continued collaborating on this one; both of us simply lost the drive to continue on with our respective megaquests. This one is different though; whereas in our other projects, we exhausted ourselves and planned what was ultimately too ambitious, we've made a conscious effort to focus our abilities in this quest. Plissken is pushing for a Spring 2011 release date; I think we can do it.

Without further ado, we humbly present...

~The Treasure of Absalom~
By Plissken and Zaire

General Information
The thought behind this project was simple: we make a quest in a desert, and we make it look good. Things didn't stay that way for very long; between a veritable ZScript master and myself, the project became something completely different than anything PureZC has seen before.

Although made in Zelda Classic, this is not a Zelda game; this is an original world of completely new characters. You are the adventurous treasure hunter Adrem, who sets out from his native port to search out gold, glory, and the legendary Treasure of Absalom. Along the way, of course, he'll also have his mettle tested against vicious monsters, ancient curses, and treacherous traps that threaten to end his journey prematurely.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained.

And who, of course, knows this better than a true capitalist? For the only way to further yourself in this world is to buy low and sell high. Unlike what I can honestly describe as all other quests, money is the ultimate limiting factor to your questing capabilities. Enemies will not drop rupees; you'll find no chests full of easily convertible cash. Adrem will instead often find himself knee-deep through the ruins beneath the surface without a penny to show for it. Instead, he will find tangible treasures; relics of the past that have been left protected even after their owners' deaths. If something is protected, it must have value; this value is how Adrem will make his money. He buys low. He sells high.

Of course, what this means practically is that your dad was right; there's no money tree out there. If the only way to get money is to sell a finite number of items, the total amount of money in the game is equally finite. Plissken and I have given each treasure a sell value that you can redeem at a shop in town; however, we've also created some items to fit together as a set. You can sell them as individual pieces, but they will be much more valuable if you sell them as one. This isn't always the best choice though, since it means that you won't have as much money immediately available to you. Sometimes, it is the best choice; if you sell all the items immediately at their lowest value, you won't be able to buy everything that this game has to offer.

Just money in and of itself is a terrible goal; luckily, there are plenty of opportunities for Adrem to forgo his greed and give up the money he's amassed to expand and upgrade his arsenal. Finding a grappling hook in the depths of a dark dungeon seems unlikely; luckily, the shop in your port town just got one in stock. Of course, you'll have to save long and hard to afford such an item; perhaps buying the lantern will allow you to reach more treasure that will help in the process, but it will set your saving efforts back a large step. Once again, there is no correct path here; this is your journey, and the choice is up to you. However, although no choice is wrong, Adrem may find that some choices make the path forward considerably more difficult.

If that was too much theoretical talk for you, you can always read the tl;dr version:
  • You won't find rupees on enemies or in chests
  • You'll instead find treasure deep in the depths of the ruins
  • Treasure can be sold using Plissken's NPC shop script, but you never know how much treasure is worth until you turn around and go back
  • Some treasure is worth more if it's in a set with other items
  • Most items, even equipment items, have to be bought
Images, Videos, and Links
  • Six50 Studios - Plissken's site is the official hosting place of tToA since neither of us owns a QPF here and as the quest is being made in beta versions of ZQuest it can't be submitted here anyway. Working on a new site, will be hosting on a new server eventually, once it's up and running we'll migrate everything.
  • Official Absalom YouTube Channel - Although you can find all of our fine videos on Six50 studios, in the event that the site has some downtime all of our videos can be viewed here. Feel free to subscribe and you'll be automatically notified whenever we post a new development video!
  • The City - Designed by Plissken. This is actually the entire thing- we didn't feel the need for a sprawling metropolis, especially considering that it will play backseat to the main adventuring area. Nevertheless, Plissken showed off some incredible design here, as you can see, along with some sweet tile art by Linkus.
  • The Desert - Designed by Ebola Zaire. The desert will only be the size of one BS overworld; this quest was originally to be for the one map quest contest and we've stuck to the original plan of roughly 64 overworld screens and 64 dungeon screens. This is actually what I'd call a "bad teaser" since it doesn't show a typical collection of screens; as Adrem ventures further inland, the blue here will disappear completely.
  • The "Dungeon" - Designed by Plissken. The dungeon area will be just as big as the overworld and feature dozens of entrances. These screens also demonstrate the way that Adrem will collect his loot.
  • The Subscreen - Designed by Plissken.
  • Tech Demo w/ Commentary - Plissken filmed himself going through some of the areas in this quest and showing off some of the awesome scripts that he's written, along with some ideas we haven't revealed anywhere else.
  • Screen Design w/ Commentary - Ebola Zaire goes through the process of designing a screen at 4x speed with some author commentary to go along with it.
  • Screen Design w/ Commentary 2 - Plissken designs a dungeon screen and explains some of the process.
Everything Else
Plissken and I are always eager to hear your opinions and suggestions; posting in this topic is the number one thing you can do to support this quest, so comment freely. If you'd like to show your support of this quest to the rest of the world, then please add Plissken's support banner to your signature:
IPB Image
CODE
[url=http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40650][img]http://i.imgur.com/nE3Xk.gif[/img][/url]
Thanks for reading and supporting!

#2 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

This sounds really cool! I'm looking forward to playing this. icon_smile.gif

#3 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:54 AM

icon_drool.gif
Ah, Ebola Zaire, I wanna make sweet sweet love with you.

What you have here is possibly two of the best quest designers, working on what will no doubt be one hell of a quest. Those maps just blow me away.. *Wipes drool from chin*

If your don't finish this then "I kill you!!" icon_razz.gif

Edited by jimmyb, 29 April 2009 - 01:56 AM.

#4 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Apr 29 2009, 06:56 AM) View Post

~The Treasure of Absalom~
By Plissken and Zaire

Although we don't have a definitive plot mapped out yet, Plissken and I have decided on a few things that we've already incorporated or begun to incorporate. The game will not be in the Legend of Zelda continuum, so you won't be wearing Hyrule, Triforce, Link, or Zelda anywhere. You'll instead be playing as Adrem, a treasure hunter who sets out from an as-of-yet unnamed city to an also as-of-yet unnamed desert to (hopefully!) find adventure, fame, and the mysterious Treasure of Absalom. Along the way, of course, he'll also have his mettle tested against vicious monsters, ancient curses, and treacherous traps that threaten to end his journey prematurely.

One of the more unique systems that we've decided on is a treasure exchange. Enemies will not drop rupees in ToA, and you won't find many laying around either. Instead, Plissken has taken advantage of the subscreen editor in 2.11 and custom items to give the player tangible treasures that can be sold for rupees. This gives the player a lot of decisions to make, especially in the early game- do you think that crown is worth 200 rupees, or a measly 25? Is it worth it to go back to town, sell your treasures, and come back or do you need to keep trekking for more? And you want rupees- you want them very much. In fact, you won't find many items laying around this quest either. This is because almost all of them will be sold in shops- and you can buy them in any order you wish! Want to improve your attack? Buy a new sword! But don't forget- you'll have to wait on buying that Candle, and that might slow you down in the long run. It's all about choices- make the right one, and you can end up with a lot of booty, but pick the wrong one and you'll find the road ahead long and hard.

Playing into the free choice mentality, we have also come up with the idea of treasure combinations, which I've tentatively called "Sets." While you can sell a Jeweled Scepter Head for quite the pretty penny, wouldn't it be worth more alongside the rest of the scepter? On the other hand, if you sold it now, you'd finally be able to afford a Bomb Bag- again, the question comes down to, "is it worth it?"
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

IPB Image
icon_eek.gif
I am speechless! Must be the greatest, smallest quest ever made! And I love deserty areas, so yay! Please DO finish this!

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

And again you come along with something impressive icon_wink.gif.

A cool thing would be something like that: you collect that rupee and this traps is turned on. Now, run for you Life icon_smile.gif. Dying could cost rupees maybe. (Dunno if that's possible to script).

#6 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Rupoors, anyone?

#7 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

Woooooooooooo

new project, now with 100% more titlescreen!

IPB Image

Edited by Plissken, 26 June 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#8 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Apr 30 2009, 12:01 AM) View Post

Woooooooooooo

new project, now with 100% more titlescreen!
IPB Image

Whoa that titlescreen looks really good plissken icon_thumbsup.gif

Alhtough i wouldnt know about the 'press start' tiles though.

P.S Any Screenshots? icon_rolleyes.gif

#9 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Screenshots are in the first post.

What's wrong with the press start, should it be moved or taken out, or colors changed?

#10 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Apr 30 2009, 12:05 AM) View Post

Screenshots are in the first post.

Will do.

QUOTE(Plissken @ Apr 30 2009, 12:05 AM) View Post

What's wrong with the press start, should it be moved or taken out, or colors changed?

Maybe something bigger though.

Like this?

IPB Image

The tiles are rippable and are in PNG format.

I think with these press start tiles the title screen will look much better.

Edited by Christian, 29 April 2009 - 11:17 PM.

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(Plissken @ Apr 30 2009, 06:05 AM) View Post

I'd say it's just fine.

#12 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

Wow...

Both of those little maps are amazing, and so is the idea. I actually made something like this with my brother like 5 years back... it was terrible. It also wasn't anything at all like this XD Just had treasure icon_razz.gif Anyway... This looks so much more epic.

I like the Press Start as is.

Edited by LinkMystro, 30 April 2009 - 12:56 AM.

#13 Prophecy Face

Prophecy Face

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:28 AM

Sorry to have to be the annoying person who pops in and fiddles with your palettes... but do you honestly think those water tiles look good with such high contrast? I beseech thee to consider the alternative...

IPB Image--IPB Image

#14 A-Red

A-Red

Initiate

• Members

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:59 PM

I like that change for the water too, except where it meets the land--the edge is too hard without the contrast in the water, and it looks like the land is floating.

#15 Prophecy Face

Prophecy Face

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

That's because there's no transition tiles that show the water coming up against the mountains. He just overlapped mountains on the water. If it's too much trouble to draw new tiles, you could at least change the dark brown at the bottom of the mountains to dark blue, like so:

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users