HD DVD Format Discontinued

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

I was looking through the Wii News Channel and there was an article explaining that the COmpany for HD DVD has surrendered in the format war and discontinuing the HD DVD Disc. So HD DVD is no more.

#2 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

icon_razz.gif

This doesn't affect average people like me who watch it on standard.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

HD is no more? This means Blu Ray is the only one. That means since we now know which way the market's going, my family is getting a Blu Ray dvd player!

#4 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:17 PM

I don't think HD is completely discontinued, just the DVDs. DirecTV probably still has HD.

#5 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

Well i'm glad that there's just one HD format now. icon_smile.gif
Cause having to buy both players would costs a fortune. icon_eek.gif

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Feb 20 2008, 07:26 PM)  

Well i'm glad that there's just one HD format now. icon_smile.gif
Cause having to buy both players would costs a fortune. icon_eek.gif

Ya. Now there's only one to get, which means my families buying it. Happy me!

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:09 AM

Wouldn't this boost Ps3 sales?

#8 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Well, this wasn't ever questioned. Blu-Ray has far better capabilities. It's like comparing the NES and PS1.

#9 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

You know, it still pisses me off that either of them won...I was hoping something WITHOUT encryption would enter the market. Last I heard, it was impossible for Linux to play Blu-Ray, because of this encryption.

But hey, this "HD thing" always was a lose-lose for consumers, because on one side, you've got Microsoft as a player (HD-DVD), and on the other, Sony (Blu-Ray).

QUOTE(CastChaos)
Well, this wasn't ever questioned.

Well, actually, yes, it was. You see, Blu-Ray's spec isn't finalized, which was a plus in HD-DVD's corner (an unfinalized spec means potential incompatibilities between significantly older and newer players), not to mention that Blu-Ray was really a competitor to what was supposed to be the more official HD format, HD-DVD, as HD-DVD is sanctioned by the DVD Consortium, or whatever the hell it's called.

#10 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

HD DVD had a few advantages: it was finalized, it was backed by the DVD Consortium, it played on cheaper players. HD DVD players did not need different lasers, (they still use red.)

Blu-Ray however, had a more powerful spec, and more advanced technology (blue wavelength lasers allow more space to be used)

Ireclan -- Linux will be able to play BD probably, I mean... Windows and OS X will have drivers for it, and there will be a spec eventually, so I'm sure people will either write a driver or reverse engineer..

I don't see it as a lose lose, because while Microsoft winning with HD DVD would be odd, I actually was backing Sony, because they lost Betamax, and I knew that they would do a good job marketing and developing this standard. Also, I've watched Blu-Ray movies, and they are AMAZING. If you use standard now, it means that you will shfit in a few years. icon_razz.gif I mean , it's only inevitable that it will soon permeate the market. icon_biggrin.gif Go Blu!

#11 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

Hmmm that sucks for me i'm poor and i don't have a good enough dvd player to play a BD icon_frown.gif

#12 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Takuya)
I don't see it as a lose lose, because while Microsoft winning with HD DVD would be odd, I actually was backing Sony, because they lost Betamax, and I knew that they would do a good job marketing and developing this standard. Also, I've watched Blu-Ray movies, and they are AMAZING. If you use standard now, it means that you will shfit in a few years. I mean , it's only inevitable that it will soon permeate the market. Go Blu!

The term "rootkit" mean anything to you? The primary company backing this standard is the very same one that used rootkit technology as a form of DRM. Why would you champion them? I personally don't trust them as far as I can throw their VP of Sales, because of this very reason, among others.

#13 Takuya

Takuya

spirit of fire

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

I don't buy rootkitted CDs, I don't run Windows. Also, they admitted the fudged up and replaced the CDs with nonrootkits and said how to remove them.

#14 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

Do normal DVDs still exist?

I don't really care about HD because I think standard looks fine, even on HD TVs due to the great interpolation.

#15 Echo Blade

Echo Blade

Junior

• Members

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

HD DVD is dead? Quick someone crack a Highlander joke!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users