Photo

Screenshot of the Week 509

Joelmacool12 RedTribeLink ywkls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 509 (64 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 RocketGrunt

RocketGrunt

Rocket Grunt

• Members

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think the three screenshots are very good. I voted for ywkls because I think his was the best out of the three!

• ywkls likes this

#17 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

I vote for Joel*  and i likes RedTribeLink

just because it's not ~ A link to the past.'

(I vote sassy heres.)

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 30 May 2015 - 01:27 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#18 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

I'll just say all three have great potential, if they didn't I wouldn't say shit

#19 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Anyway, the graveyard in Link's Awakening holds a few strange memories for me.  If you recall, the graveyard proper was not really required to finish the game and it's perfectly possible to miss it during a run of the game since it never funnels you through it.  In the DX version, that's where the color dungeon was if I recall correctly, but I never had LADX, just the original.  The original LA had a really neat sleect glitch that lets you complete the game in sub 5 minutes, which is why LADX is the preferred speedrunning version, but I think the rules for the LADX categories could use some work.  Death warping is against the rules, but if you die accidentally it can save time depending on where the death occurred, which is frankly really silly and puts me off.

i sort of understand why deathwarping is against the rules, though; if i recall correctly deathwarping is significantly faster in the no save + quit categories than using manbo's mambo -- contrast this with its sister game A Link to the Past where deathwarping is slightly slower (even counting the menu to mirror), so there's a penalty for using it.  like, it would literally never be beneficial to not just tank damage until wherever you'd normally mambo.  also it'd make some of the earlier dungeons (pre-mambo) far faster and with a much different route than intended... i think actually just tail cave actually (bottle grotto and angler's tunnel and key cavern are all pretty linear), but still.  and i didn't even get into any of the overworld stuff.  dying accidentally is also not that much of an issue in LADX since it's pretty hard to actually die, i think.  i completely agree that the idea of deathwarping being against the rules is silly but given the inherent issues with the game engine while speedrunning i understand why the rule is in place.

i don't think LADX is the preferred speedrunning version solely because of the select glitch (LADX still has the kennel glitch which is similar and they could just ban the select glitch in the NMG category for LA), but i'm not sure entirely why it's the preferred version unless people just really like color that much (i think there just has to be a version to prefer cuz they're close enough to be largely redundant but not close enough to literally be the exact same run).  also i think LADX may be easier to obtain overall, like, the actual cart.  even 1.0.  but what do i know.  i ain't in charge of things round those parts LADX ain't even my main

joe: wow ancient hylians were really shit at building straight pathways.  and building evenly spaced tombstones or whatever those are.  it's actually an aesthetically pleasing screen but i 100% agree with mitch there's too much on it.  idk why people hate this palette in particular i'm not sure ezgbz has ever really had fantastic palettes going on

red: this screen implies that there's a nighttime version of the screen which i'd be interested to see.  i think it's a little weird that there are land edges on the frozen shallow water.  i like snow screens.  mitch/ryan i'm pretty sure that's oddish boner in the upper-right

ywkls: hey aren't you the guy that made super metroid (remake)?  i agree about centering the dmap title but also maybe change the color, i think putting a border color around the text would be a good idea.  it's all right.  the first time i saw this screen i thought the dude with the bow was playing it like it was a harp

Edited by Truckroid, 31 May 2015 - 03:21 AM.

• Lightwulf and ywkls like this

#20 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

ywkls: hey aren't you the guy that made super metroid (remake)?  i agree about centering the dmap title but also maybe change the color, i think putting a border color around the text would be a good idea.  it's all right.  the first time i saw this screen i thought the dude with the bow was playing it like it was a harp

Yeah... which nobody seems to have liked, despite the massive amount of effort that went into it. I revamped it with a bunch of scripts, but nobody noticed.

As for the screenshot, I've centered the Dmap title now. I think putting a border around it would interfere with the minimap. (There's only so much room on the subscreen.) Thanks for your comments!

• Lightwulf and SyrianBallaS like this

#21 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

@ywkls

At first I didn't like it because I was expecting pretty much Super Metroid on ZC which is unfeasible right now (not impossible). I'll try it again someday.

I didn't understand your intentions, but they way you presented it is a naive presentation. (Sometimes pros are naive too so don't feel bad)

A true clone on ZC isn't worth the effort in my opinon, you'd have to pretty much rewrite the engine and with scripts that would never work (the way ZC is now).

Be creative, test to make sure it works, if confident, move on. I'd use some kind of Version Control (repository) to reduce headaches and tediousness in development.

Just too much work than necessary.

Combination SVNs: TortoiseSVN + Google Drive, ToroiseSVN + Your computer, (or anything you like)

You'd need a server though, github is pretty good.

They might be redundant for ZC, but it's good for complex projects, especially if it's a team project

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 31 May 2015 - 02:08 PM.

• ywkls likes this

#22 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

@ywkls

At first I didn't like it because I was expecting pretty much Super Metroid on ZC which is unfeasible right now (not impossible). I'll try it again someday.

Yeah, lot's of people got that impression which is why I eventually got scripts that simulate every item in the original game and some working enemies. (Others would require more scripting than I'm capable of.)

I didn't understand your intentions, but they way you presented it is a naive presentation. (Sometimes pros are naive too so don't feel bad)

Thanks for calling me a pro. I've been making games on Zelda Classic for at least 7 years. The only reason I haven't made more original stuff is because I haven't had any ideas. That and copying every screen of 3 games takes a really long time.

A true clone on ZC isn't worth the effort in my opinon, you'd have to pretty much rewrite the engine and with scripts that would never work (the way ZC is now).

Be creative, test to make sure it works, if confident, move on. I'd use some kind of Version Control (repository) to reduce headaches and tediousness in development.

Just too much work than necessary.

I think the only things I ended up leaving out were the subscreen, diagonal firing, the spring ball (which can now be done so I may add it in someday), a true speed boost and enemies that behave like they're supposed to. I tested the final version myself, getting to the end in about 4 hours. 

Combination SVNs: TortoiseSVN + Google Drive, ToroiseSVN + Your computer, (or anything you like)

You'd need a server though, github is pretty good.

They might be redundant for ZC, but it's good for complex projects, especially if it's a team project

I have no idea what any of these things mean...

Meanwhile, it's almost time for the next SotW. Last I heard, they only had two entries so I may enter again.

#23 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

well if you want know either research or I'll tell you when I have time, gotta hit these books (these blocks of texts make me feel dyslexic)

If you aren't making software/game (standalone/PC/Console) it isn't that big a deal, just more organized and people can work on it simutanesly without being right next to each other. Shit on my last team project I had to make a paint program (had like 50 classes and 140 source files, 1 resource file, 1 script file, and like 50 images) and there's tools to find stuff relatively instantly.

The last time I made a ATM program simualtion for class it was like 12 classes and 14 sources, and it worked on a real ATM (one that was getting fixed).

It seems complicated, but it starts out extremly simpe and you just add on. That's the evolution of software.

The development techniques are simple as well, and more logical/common sense (the ways humans relatively think)

You probably didn't need to know, I just felt like saying it.

Edit: ZC uses some extremely outdated techniques that were deprecated in the 80s, the structure would have to be object oriented for it to be "simple"

Edit2: You have to expliclty define your memory management in C++, but runs 100x faster than java (unless you're making phone apps), uses less CPU and less Memory (if coded right). Plus java has exploitable scripts, heck all scripts are exploitable.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 31 May 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#24 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

With 44.44% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 509 is Joelmacool12!

Joelmacool12.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- Joelmacool12 (24 votes [44.44%])

- RedTribeLink (20 votes [37.04%])
- ywkls (10 votes [18.52%])

• Joelmacool likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool12, RedTribeLink, ywkls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users