Photo

Zelda Classic vs Lunar Magic

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Zelda Classic vs Lunar Magic

Do you use or have you ever used Lunar Magic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Wich editor is more user-friendly in your opinion?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

In case you wonder, Lunar Magic is a tool that let's you create your very own hacks of Super Mario World.

Now, the question is, what do you think is more userfriendly? Zelda Classic or Lunar Magic?

In my opinion, Lunar Magic is overly complicated and too hard to learn, yet make any playable game with, so I vote for ZC.

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Zelda Classic. I could even most likely call it the easiest game editor out there. Enough said.

• Haylee and Jared like this

#3 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Lunar Magic is a program that is very hard to get used too, one thing you have to keep in mind is the lack of and undo button, so you're gonna have A LOT of backups. Another thing that Zelda Classic has that Lunar magic doesn't is a MUCH more simpler way of setting up warps, and spawning points. Importing Music into SMW roms can get frustrating without a tutorial, hell, pretty everything in Lunar Magic requires a tutorial, or else you risk the chance of breaking a rom completely. Zelda Classic on the other hand, if you were to break something on there, a simple reassignment should fix everything. In Lunar Magic, NOPE, if you screw something up, you have to start all over, with a few exeptions(Enemy Placement, Warp Placement, etc.). If you don't want to risk breaking your rom of SMW in Lunar Magic, you better have a backup or 2. In Zelda Classic, you rarely need backups.

I've pretty much explained my case, Zelda Classic is FAR more user friendly the Lunar Magic.

• DCEnygma, Shane, Avaro and 3 others like this

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Lol, this isn't even a contest. ZC wins by default. Now if you were to pit ZC against other programs like RPG Maker or Game Maker, THEN we'd have a battle on hour hands :).  This is a one-sided battle here :x.

Edited by Koh, 22 July 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

Alright, looks like ZC easily wins here. I agree with everything Goriya said about LM. You basically need to read a tutorial for every feature...

While for ZC we have one tutorial that covers pretty much everything you need to know to make your game.

#6 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

ZC took me like years to finally get use to, luna magic took me like 4 days o.o

#7 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, I dunno... I found Lunar Magic pretty easy to use, and one thing that's nice about it is that it edits the ROM directly--you have perfect emulation of the game you're modifying, unlike Zelda Classic's emulation of The Legend of Zelda that is absolutely filled with educated guesses about enemy movement and other details. Lunar Magic's potential for expansion is more limited, but it does its job within its limits reliably.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well, here's the thing. ZC is an all in one program; you can make an entire game from start to finish with only ZQuest. Lunar Magic, due to the nature of rom hacking, isn't. If you want to change the graphics, you gotta get another rom hacking program, for example. Rom hacking is much more difficult than making something in a program like ZC or Game Maker, so ZC is easier to use than Lunar Magic, not because of any fault of LM's, but just because rom hacking is hard.

#9 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

I think It's pretty obvious that Zelda Classic will likely be more user-friendly to those who are just starting out and looking to make a game, but does this make it better? I wouldn't say so.

As Goriya said, Lunar Magic is a program that is much harder to get used to. That being said, however, people who ARE used to the program I think have much more capability in the program to use and create creative things, and by having the tutorials it has, this make it that much easier to get into than it would normally be. 

Rom hacking, unless somebody makes a editor for a extremely simple game, will pretty much always be harder than a pre-ready to go Game Builder like Zelda Classic, which was built to be user-friendly.

In my opinion, both are equally good if you are able to master them, but ZC is most certainly the more user friendly one.

• Haylee likes this

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Lol, this isn't even a contest. ZC wins by default. Now if you were to pit ZC against other programs like RPG Maker or Game Maker, THEN we'd have a battle on hour hands :).  This is a one-sided battle here :x.

Still doesn't hurt to have a discussion and not assume this community is one sided. People seem to think Lunar Magic is user-friendly. Back when I was posting, I voted for Zelda Classic. Not because I'm apart of the ZC fanboy. Because ZC is the best and easiest game maker out there. Goriya gave a solid reason too and you can't deny it.  :)

Misread that wrong LOL. I thought you were implying that this thread should be made on another forum to prevent it being "one sided"... My mistake. :P

Edited by Shane, 22 July 2013 - 07:47 PM.

• Mero likes this

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Exactly~  Just think about what this topic is asking.  It's basically the same thing as:

"Which is a better source of Vitamin C?  Apples or Oranges?"

Obviously oranges win that, hands down.  What it should be asking, instead, is something like:

"Which tastes better?  Apples or Oranges?"

Edited by Koh, 22 July 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#12 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Of course, ZC wins with great advantage here. Half-yer ago ZC was on par with Lunar Magic (ZC was more user-friendly while Lunar Magic together with good accessories like AddMusic, BlockTool and SpriteTool allows greater creativity with game designing). But once ZC 2.5 has been released at 21/12/2012, ZC gains major advantage with Item & Enemy Editors which allows quest makers to adapt item`s and enemies` properties to quest needs, Sidevew Gravity which allows sidescroller areas in quests (even entire sidescroller quests) and SCRIPTING. Just say: Scripting does magic!

But such triumph will not last long...

Game Maker is an user-friendly game creation program that originally has allowed to develop simple games like arkanoids, Pac-Man clones etc. But it eventually has evolved into a full-fldged IDE that allows serious game development (remember Mushroom Kingdom Fusion). It has several major dowsides:

1. It`s not free. Lite version is severly crippled and basically not useable for major game development projects while PRO version costs a lot of money.

2. Games created with Game Maker tend to suffer a lot of lag and slowdown on old PC`s like mine. This is because games used interpreted programming language which is not suitable for such demanding applications like games.

And we have another monster of game developing. His name is ENIGMA (Extensible Non-Interpreted Game Maker Augmentation). Its basically Game Maker on steroids. Altough ENIGMA itself is a plugin to a freeware Game maker-like IDE

(like LateralGM) it can parse any project into a C++ language followed by compilation. This allows games to run fast even on ancient PC`s!! And further more, it`s freeware and open-source!! Plus compatibility with GM projects for a kick start!

The only saving grace is the only one fact: Enigma is currently under construction. And It may take very long for such a wonder to be finished. But once ENIGMA is completed and proven to be bug-free...

Here is the site: http://enigma-dev.org

#13 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

How do you compare a platformer editor with an action/adventure editor? Two different worlds right there.

Now if you were to compare RPG Maker to ZC, it's still quite different. I mean if we want to discuss simplicity, of course ZC is the winner.

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

How do you compare a platformer editor with an action/adventure editor? Two different worlds right there.

Now if you were to compare RPG Maker to ZC, it's still quite different. I mean if we want to discuss simplicity, of course ZC is the winner.

Well, I meant the question of this thread the following way: Is ZC easier to use for making an action/adventure game or is LM easier to use for making a platforming game? Wich editor does better at it's job?

Also, I understand how Rom hacking is difficult now, so it isn't Lunar Magics fault of being to difficult to use then.

#15 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Zelda Classic would be the one for me.  Definitely more user friendly!  That and I don't desire to create my own SMW game.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users