Weird dots on my computer screen

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

A while ago, my computer's motherboard failed. I decided that I'd build a new computer using the same memory and hard drive from my old computer. I ordered a new case, power supply, processor, graphics card, etc. and put it together. When I booted up the system, everything was working fine except for these little tiny dots all over my computer screen. When they are on a dark colored background, they appear red. When they're on a light colored background, they appear blue. They flicker sometimes, and when I scroll down really fast they appear all over the place. They're not just randomly all over the screen though, they seem to be in clumps. (Sorry if I didn't explain it very well.)

I updated the graphics card's drivers and I tried reseating the graphics card but nothing worked.

I have a few ideas of what might be the problem:

1. The graphics card needs a minimum of 400 watts, and my power supply is 400 watts. After doing a little research, I realized it's usually a good idea to get a power supply at least 100 watts above the recommended amount.

2. I found out my graphics card was refurbished, and not new like I paid for. It might just be the graphics card itself.

3. It could be the DVI cable I'm using.

And here's a picture of the dots:
IPB Image
(Did they show up in the picture?)

My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 9600GT.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

Looks like graphics card artifacting. Could be heat damage to the card, possibly.

Does your motherboard have a separate VGA out port on it (e.g. integrated graphics?) If so, if you reboot with the monitor attached to it, do you still have the problem?

Edited by Bagel, 29 March 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#3 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Mar 29 2011, 01:19 PM) View Post

Looks like graphics card artifacting. Could be heat damage to the card, possibly.

Does your motherboard have a separate VGA out port on it (e.g. integrated graphics?) If so, if you reboot with the monitor attached to it, do you still have the problem?

Okay, so I plugged my monitor into the onboard graphics and the dots are gone now. Do you think it's the graphics card itself, or the fact that it doesn't have enough power?

#4 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

The only way to tell would be to get an equivalent graphics card that uses the same amount of power and try that out. If it does the same thing, you probably need a PSU. Otherwise, your card is screwed.

#5 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Most 400W supplies should be able to handle a 9600GT (or even a 9800GT.) 75% sure it's the card. Double check to see if it is seated properly and stuff.

#6 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(Bagel @ Mar 29 2011, 08:43 PM) View Post

Most 400W supplies should be able to handle a 9600GT (or even a 9800GT.) 75% sure it's the card.

I'm really hoping you're right. Replacing the card is no problem for me, as they said they'd do it for free. I just don't want to have to buy a new power supply.

Edit: By the way, my PSU is by Chiefmax. I've been doing a little research, and apparently they're known for being pretty bad. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by ZebraStallion, 29 March 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

If your PSU is made within the past 5 years you should be safe, otherwise you run a good risk of a unsuitable PSU.

PSU's back in the day used to emphasize the +5v rails but have since changed to emphasize the +12v rails. If you can provide the information on the sticker that should be placed on one of the sides of your PSU then we can help you better.

It should list various voltages etc., that's what we need to actually tell if your PSU is appropriate.

#8 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Mar 29 2011, 10:58 PM) View Post

If your PSU is made within the past 5 years you should be safe, otherwise you run a good risk of a unsuitable PSU.

PSU's back in the day used to emphasize the +5v rails but have since changed to emphasize the +12v rails. If you can provide the information on the sticker that should be placed on one of the sides of your PSU then we can help you better.

It should list various voltages etc., that's what we need to actually tell if your PSU is appropriate.

There's a chart on the sticker. Here it is:
CODE

DC          Watt    +3.3V        +5V     +12V1        +12V2         -12V          +5VSB
OUTPUT      650       36A        36A      34A           N/A          1A            2A

And then something else:

CODE
AC INPUT
115V/230V    10A/6A    60/50Hz

Of course, I have no idea what any of this means. icon_razz.gif

Thanks again for the help.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

I think your safe with that power supply. 34 amps on the +12v rail is tons for a 9600 card.

Make sure that if the video card requires an additional power cable plugged in, it's plugged in firmly.

Edited by franpa, 31 March 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#10 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(franpa @ Mar 31 2011, 01:38 PM) View Post

I think your safe with that power supply. 34 amps on the +12v rail is tons for a 9600 card.

Make sure that if the video card requires an additional power cable plugged in, it's plugged in firmly.

Oh, well I ended up buying this one.

#11 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

Guess what, now my Wii is artifacting! Can you believe it!? Does anyone know how much it's gonna cost for me to send it in for repairs?

Well at least my power supply arrived today. I set it up and everything's working fine. Now I just need to wait for my replacement graphics card. icon_confused.gif

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

If both your Wii and PC are connected to the same screen, then it's most likely the screen failing.

#13 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(franpa @ Apr 3 2011, 10:52 AM) View Post

If both your Wii and PC are connected to the same screen, then it's most likely the screen failing.

No, they aren't. I'm just a really unlucky person when it comes to technology. icon_smile.gif

#14 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Nintendo typically just charges for shipping of a Wii for repairs, if it's under warranty they'll even mail you a box for free and have you send it to them with the pre-paid box.

#15 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:56 PM

Hum I had to use my own packaging for my Wii when sending it to them under Warranty. All I got from them was the information sheet to include with the Wii and the label to place on the box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users