• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Download here.  TS got the cool version with custom music but honestly I don't think anything I found really suited Z1 so I probably won't be submitting that version.  His also has one slightly easier room in Level 9, because I didn't think he could handle it.

All 9 dungeons are completed and the overworld is properly changed to suit it, and I barely finished this on time. :(

Oh well, this is the first quest I've ever completed, and I'll probably submit it to the database with a different name (assuming it won't win, it probably won't), something wittier and edgier than "Scootaloo's 5th Quest Entry".  Something like "If Only I Didn't Have to Think of a Title for This".  I might also do a remake someday!  Mostly because that rule that you couldn't change anything on the overworld was a thorn in my side.  Thanks Gleeok, you big nerd. :glare:

Enjoy!

Credits: Nintendo, ZC Devs, SpacemanDan for beta testing most of it, TS for eventually starting it at some point I hope, and LinktheMaster and Gleeok for the scripts used.  You're all so swell and beautiful.

Edit: updated the quest file

• ShadowTiger likes this

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

beep boop i am a robot

#3 aprazma

aprazma

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Looking for help finding the White Sword. (I know where the other two swords are).

Completed Levels 1 through 3, have 7 heart cases, and working through Level 4; could definitely use a better sword.

#4 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

played through level 1.  

the new item sprites aren't sitting right within the context of the contest.

also have mixed feelings about the removal of the standard entrances.  i think i'd be more okay with it if you didn't just put a bombable cave in the same spot in most instances.  i figured that you had moved the secret somewhere else on the screen.

i did enjoy your level 1 quite a bit though.  good difficulty (just on the verge of being too hard for a level1).  looking forward to more.

#5 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

The White Sword can be found using the raft.  I designed it so that you would be required to use the Wooden Sword for at least the first two levels.  You'd have to do some extra searching for Heart Containers though- I upped the amount of hearts required. (Don't worry, you have enough.)

At this point, I don't think it matters what I've changed.  I'll keep things the way they are, except to fix any bugs if they're found (or perhaps add in the music I was going to use because Battletoads rules).  But as it stands, my entry basically didn't count for the contest anyway.  The only comment it ever received was that some things seemed too different but weren't counted against the rules of the contest.  For everything else, I guess no one else had the time to try it.  I don't know if it's that everyone was too busy trying out of the other entries, or if people just hate me.  Probably both. :s

Thanks for playing, though.  Really appreciate it after feeling like I wasted two months of my time making this.  I thought that even if it got disqualified or lost against the other entries, people would still at least play it as it's still, y'know, a 9 brand new dungeons with a rearranged Z1 overworld.

#6 WindRobe

WindRobe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

naw scoot im playing urs its really good different still havnt found any hearts in overworld but not gving up

#7 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

the new sprite and heart requirements for the white sword really confused me.  i found the sword, but i guess i didn't have enough hearts at the time to pick it up so i figured it was the magic sword.  i "found" it again, but realized that i'd already "found" that sword so didn't try and pick it up.  it wasn't until i read your post above about the extra heart requirements that i realized that it was the sword i was looking for.

i've played through level3.  i'm enjoying it, the dungeons are fun to play.  difficulty might have tapered off a bit, especially having the white sword and blue ring for level3.  i think this would be a contender in the contest if it wasn't for all the sprite changes.

are the empty secret caves bugs or will they do something later?

were the enemies in level3 invisible?  i found the amulet before going in.

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, sorry for the confusion.  I wanted to raise the White Sword's heart requirements because I always felt it was too easy to grab early on (I ran this by Gleeok and he said it would be fine since it wasn't altering the item itself, such as beam hearts/damage), but I guess changing both the sprite and the heart requirements could've easily been confusing, and I should've seen that coming.  Sorry about that!

As for empty cave rooms, I'll scan through the overworld and see where they are- they should've either been money rooms or just not there.  I also might change up some shops, too, because my girlfriend ran out of bombs in Level 1 and was not getting a single drop from any darknuts, she even went and slaughtered every last blue moblin and got nothing. :s

And the cross/amulet... well, if you didn't have it, a couple later levels would've been rather challenging- LtM wrote a script for me that helps me make only certain enemy types invisible, rather than all the enemies on a screen invisible.  I didn't want all the enemies on a screen to be invisible at times.

#9 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

for the white sword, maybe change the guy's string to read something like "master more using it and you can have it", that way the player gets a clue they need more hearts.  i think the extra heart requirement is reasonable as well - it was mostly just the sprite that threw me.

i've found probably 3-4 of the empty caves.  when i got the amulet, i was all like, "sweet, now i'll see what's in them."  nope.

if you don't need the amulet until later, its probably too easy to find early on.  the script will be wasted.  maybe make if the dungeon item of that later level is what unlocks the amulet secret.  you go in the dungeon, there's a hint about the amulet being hidden on the overworld but you'll need something from this dungeon.

i had to leave your level 1 a few times to restock on bombs (though i guess i was a lot more lucky with the drops).  but i was just randomly bombing walls before getting the map - should have just found the map in the first place.

#10 WindRobe

WindRobe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

im having trouble finding any hearts in the overworld for the white sword any clue where to look

#11 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Heart Container Locations

I may switch the location of the map to an earlier room, in Level 1.  I admit it's a bit too far into the dungeon to really be needed at that point.

If the Cross is that easy to find, perhaps it does need at least a better hiding spot. :s  I'll try to move some stuff around and put out an update.  I'm not really concerned about the contest anymore, though, but I do want it to be a more enjoyable quest, at least.  Sorry you've basically turned into a beta tester, but no one was really leaping for that opportunity before.  I did what I could on my own :s

#12 WindRobe

WindRobe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

tyvm scootaloo for the hearts location

#13 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Updated Quest File

-Changes/Fixes-

-Nerfed Stalfos 2's sword beam damage.  Authenticity can bite me, I feel like this will make the quest a bit more approachable.

-Moved the location of the Cross.

-Added in new music, as opposed to the usual Z1 tunes.

-White Sword sprite returned to its original state to avoid confusion.

-Removed/filled in some caves that were empty. (hopefully all of them, I think I got all of them.)

-Added in the missing Heart Container and moved another to a location that I feel is less annoyingly obscure.

-Level 1's map and compass changed locations.

-Put a shop with bombs near Level 1.  This is probably the most important thing I've done.

-Both changed and added some advice on the Overworld.

Hopefully this'll make things better! (even if it may require a restart, sorry)  I also am going to need to come up with a name for all of this.  I'm sort of leaning toward something like "The Fantasy Retold" to make a reference to the Japanese title, "The Hyrule Fantasy".  I don't know yet.

I'm not sure if I should update the quest file on the main database yet- maybe I should, but I'll just feel dumb if I update it and then there's another bug or fix to make. :-/

(And for every time someone visits this thread and isn't playing this quest, I'll punch a bunny.  Think of the bunnies, please.)

#14 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

two of the empty caves.  one is the first quest level7 screen.  another is two screens left.

edit:  screen right of your lvl9 entrance has a rock that can be pushed, but nothing happens.

Edited by justin, 21 November 2013 - 09:09 PM.

#15 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Are you sure?  Both of those are fine in mine- I even downloaded the one in the database to check and those screens don't have empty caves, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users