Photo

Gerudo theory: not really mostly female after all?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 abdulisgood

abdulisgood

• Members

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:00 PM

I have had my own theory on the gerudo for some years, and will share it here:

I personally think that the gerudo have both male and female just like any other race.

The difference is, both genders normally look basically identical, feminine.

But due to a genetic fluke, every once in while a "true" male is born, that is a male with manifested masculine features.

Because of their predominantly feminine appearance, their culture progressively assumed a state in which women where dominant over men.

...But that is just my opinion. Just thought some might find this interesting.

keep in mind i had this opinion before breath of the wild existed.

I stopped playing official zelda titles after wind waker.

Edited by abdulisgood, 27 February 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#2 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

Interesting theory, but there is nothing in any of the games that can support it. 

It was always questioned, at least by myself if Gerudo were an all female tribe, exactly how did they have kids. Breath of the Wild explained this that Gerudo seek outside relationships with other cultures (I assume Hylians for the most part). If Zelda worked like real science though, the Gerudo would be doomed to extinction because every single child they'd ever have will be half Hylian, thus their half Hylian child would end up having a child with another Hylian, making them only quarter Gerudo, and so on and so on. 

So Gerudo I do believe is all female, but they're able to sleep with Hylian men from outside the city walls and have full Gerudo female children, sharing very few or no Hylian traits at all. Perhaps that one lone Gerudo male probably is born out of a fluke, in which he does inherit enough of his father's genetics to become male, and he just so happened to become King due to their customs. 

It could also be possible that Gerudo has never had male children other than Ganondorf, since he wasn't born by any normal means due to a spoiler in Skyward Sword. If it is possible that he is the only male Gerudo ever born, they probably considered that exceptional and thus felt no other way to approach the situation but make him King. This is likely possible, since there is no existence what so ever of another male being ever born in the Gerudo tribe. It's only implied, but without enough detail to ever know the full situation. 

If I got anything wrong here and anybody like to point that out, please share. I might have missed a fact or two. Or probably many, who knows. 

(Note: I also like to add that it also never implies how people are born into this world. It is assumed that it works the same for the people of Hyrule as it does for us. I just know Nintendo has no interest in teaching the birds and the bees in their games).

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Ocarina of Time told us the Gerudos seek out males from other cultures:

They say that Gerudos sometimes
come to Hyrule Castle Town to
look for boyfriends.

So, yeah. That existed before anybody opened the package and played the first game with Gerudos in it

Edited by Cukeman, 28 February 2018 - 02:34 AM.

• strike and Jared like this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

Next up: How do Gorons breed?

#5 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Could be that Gerudo are just another kind of Hylian, and the 'Gerudo' gene is a dominant one, i.e. just about anyone with the gene will be female and a Gerudo. I guess the single male every hundred years just kind of happens with very specific genes, or it's a genetic disorder.

As for Gorons, I read somewhere that it could be budding. I feel like it was on Zelda Wiki (though stated as speculation). I forget what evidence they put forward for that, but there you go?

• Jared, Yloh and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

It's pretty heavily implied that the carpenters were captured for mating purposes, though I think the Gerudo were less than eager after seeing how spineless and useless they were.

My favorite part of Gerudo lore is that Talon was apparently mated with a Gerudo, which would explain why Malon has red hair, and why her mom's not around.

Show Talon the Goron and Gerudo masks and he'll say:

Hey, that reminds me of my wife...
On second thought, it doesn't...
It doesn't look like her at all!

My interpretation is that his wife was a fat Gerudo (given how wide Gorons are), and that he doesn't want anyone to know he mated with a Gerudo (especially as that would imply he was kidnapped).

As for Gorons, I'd like to believe the Nejirons are the female of the species, but I have zero evidence to support this.

Edited by Cukeman, 28 February 2018 - 03:10 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#7 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

It's pretty heavily implied that the carpenters were captured for mating purposes, though I think the Gerudo were less than eager after seeing how spineless and useless they were.

My favorite part of Gerudo lore is that Talon was apparently mated with a Gerudo, which would explain why Malon has red hair, and why her mom's not around.

Show Talon the Goron and Gerudo masks and he'll say:

My interpretation is that his wife was a fat Gerudo (given how wide Gorons are), and that he doesn't want anyone to know he mated with a Gerudo (especially as that would imply he was kidnapped).

As for Gorons, I'd like to believe the Nejirons are the female of the species, but I have zero evidence to support this.

this may be the correct one, but that means that girls half hylian and half gerudo are entrusted to the hylian father and the mother return to to her tribe ?

I have another theory, the male gerudo kill all the the other males and the only that survive will be the king and will be the only that pass the genes.

the story that there only 1 male every 100 years is just a legend made for hide the truth.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

Good point, not sure how Talon would end up with custody of the child

#9 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

Good point, not sure how Talon would end up with custody of the child

for me she simply leave and say something like  : "Honey, i'm leaving,  take care of the child and  goodbye forever"

Now..Deku Scrub..the only girl is the princess ?

#10 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

What confuses me is that Breath of the Wild shows that they have medical tech available (For starters, the place Link wakes up at the beginning of the game) that makes their lifespans at least as long as ours. (At least Hylians, I'm going to assume that Gerudo people don't usually die at 30) The earlier games claim that there's one male born every 100 years, and that male becomes their king. Given that a lifespan of something like 80 years isn't unheard of, and some people manage to live to 100 years old, shouldn't there usually be a male ruler for the tribe, with a female ruler only to fill in the 20-year gaps between the usual deaths of the previous king and the birth of the new one. (plus something like 10-12 years for the new male to grow up. BotW also shows that they don't have an issue with a child king, they just need them to not need somebody to manage diapers, and to know how to speak)

#11 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

The only sensible explanation is that they expose the male infants.

For those who don't know, exposure was an ancient practice of abandoning unwanted infants to be claimed by the elements.

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

I just think the Gerudo are woke.

Tbh, I never thought about it too much. Gorons seem to be all male, and so do the Deku until MM but even then, there is only one princess. The only race besides Zora that have been shown to not have hugely skewed numbers are the Hylians. I think it is a conspiracy.

• Jared likes this

#13 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

Gerudo and Goron are clearly in long distance relationships with each other. even similar skin tone

• Anthus likes this

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

We don't need to assume that they need males to reproduce. Their species (if they indeed are a seperate species) could reproduce differently than, say, Hylians and that kind of reproduction might not involve female-male-intercourse.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Except the standard M-F reproduction is supported by in-game evidence, and the others aren't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users