What Are You Watching?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#16 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

Finally finished watching the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure...

Now, for those of you who remember, several years ago, a Digimon movie came out here in the United States. That movie was a horrible abomination on the series. The reason for this (I found this out recently during an archive binge of some JesuOtaku videos) is that the movie was cobbled together by stringing together footage from three Japanese Digimon movies, and trying to tie them together with a unique plot. For anybody unfortunate enough to still own a copy, you can see evidence of this by just looking at the back cover. The information and plot summary is completely wrong and references plot points that were removed from the film entirely.

Anyways, the site I'm using to watch these doesn't have the prequel movie (made up the first third of the American release, Tai and Kari as toddlers while a Digimon attacks in the real world), so I'm watching the sequel: "Our War Game". The plot is very similar to the movie "War Games", with a Digimon invading the internet and launching nuclear missiles. Big recommendation for anybody who liked the series, and would like to see what happened between the first two seasons of the show.

#17 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

I don't generally watch TV. I play games for most of my entertainment needs (when I get the time...) instead.

That being said, however, I recently watched Black Butler season 2 (a fairly obscure anime, as far as I know) and enjoyed it up to Ciel in Wonderland part 2, where it gets horribly twisted (thankfully, that episode was a special and also the last one in the series). I also quite liked the first collection of an anime (of which I cannot remember the ludicrously log japanese name to) that is basically a chibi version of that anime that featured that Miku-Miru character that Dawnlight had as a previous avatar here.The Melanchoy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya.
Currently, I am interested in rewatching Death Note. Can't get enough of that anime.

...yeah, call me an anime junkie as far as TV is concerned the all you like, but that's pretty much the all I'm interested in on the tube other than random documentaries/Mythbusters.

Edited by Orin XD, 19 July 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#18 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Jul 17 2012, 06:34 AM) View Post
That being said, however, I recently watched Black Butler season 2 (a fairly obscure anime, as far as I know)
I don't think I have a single friend IRL who DOESN'T watch Black Butler. It can't be THAT obscure. In the past year, three of my friends have cosplayed Sebastian and two have cosplayed Ciel.

Edited by DavidReinold, 17 July 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#19 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I was considering Black Butler if only because I've heard a lot about it and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Not sure it'll be up my alley, but I figure I may as well give it a fair go. icon_razz.gif

After I finish the dozen other things I need to finish watching. >_>

Currently my list is -
Kanon
Clannad
Megas XLR (Watching)
Hetalia
Nichijou
Darker than Black
Code Geass
Stein's Gate
Panty and Stocking
Azumanga Daioh
I know there's more, but I don't have the list in front of me and I can't quite remember the rest of them. >_<

Also, Kurt91 - Did you ever watch the original MUSCLE series? Or did you read it? I've been interested in giving this a go, honestly. :3

#20 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Jul 17 2012, 03:28 AM) View Post
Finally finished watching the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure...

Now, for those of you who remember, several years ago, a Digimon movie came out here in the United States. That movie was a horrible abomination on the series. The reason for this (I found this out recently during an archive binge of some JesuOtaku videos) is that the movie was cobbled together by stringing together footage from three Japanese Digimon movies, and trying to tie them together with a unique plot. For anybody unfortunate enough to still own a copy, you can see evidence of this by just looking at the back cover. The information and plot summary is completely wrong and references plot points that were removed from the film entirely.

Anyways, the site I'm using to watch these doesn't have the prequel movie (made up the first third of the American release, Tai and Kari as toddlers while a Digimon attacks in the real world), so I'm watching the sequel: "Our War Game". The plot is very similar to the movie "War Games", with a Digimon invading the internet and launching nuclear missiles. Big recommendation for anybody who liked the series, and would like to see what happened between the first two seasons of the show.
I wanted to see the Digimon movie, but never got to. It's really a conglomeration of three movies trying to have a tying plot? Wow. Guess I really didn't miss out, then. And I still really need to rewatch the series, but somehow I can't bring myself to. I think it's the slow starting they all tend to have, even if the overall plot is good. icon_shrug.gif

#21 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan)
Did you ever watch the original MUSCLE series? Or did you read it? I've been interested in giving this a go, honestly. :3

I know there was a prequel series, but I was just watching the show from 4Kids. I just needed something to entertain my little brother, and for some reason the show came to mind. I've never seen the original one, but I read the summary on TVTropes, so I think I've got the general idea on what happened.

QUOTE(The Satellite)
It's really a conglomeration of three movies trying to have a tying plot? Wow. Guess I really didn't miss out, then.

Well, now that I've finished the original version, I think one of the reasons they did that was because the movie was so damn short. I mean, I watched a subbed version online that was edited to start at the beginning of the movie and end at the exact moment the credits finished. All of the commercials and everything were removed. It lasted about 40 minutes.

What the American movie had done was used clips from the first movie as a half-baked explanation of what the show's about, and used the second and third movies for a plot where a lonely American kid gets two Digimon, and attempts to program a third by himself. A virus infects the third, leading to their explanation for the movie-two villain, and they claim that the virus jumped from it to one of his original two, explaining the villain from the third movie.

If you keep in mind that the overarching plot is completely made up, and treat it as a short summary of the original movies, then it's somewhat tolerable. (Just remember that the original characterization of the movie-two villain was a newly hatched infant that wanted to "play". I haven't seen movie 3 yet, so I can't tell you what that was originally like.)

Warning if you do look up the American version. It originally started with a god-awful "Angela Anaconda" short. They apparently were trying to advertise as many of their shows as they could when they did the movie. Skip that, if possible, and don't bother waiting after the credits unless you want a horrible "Kids in America" music video. Also, before I forget, skip the title sequence for the movie, too, unless you want your ears to bleed from horrible music. The rest of the music is mostly random stuff from the 90's thrown together without any real reason for the selection, so if you like 90's music, then the soundtrack shouldn't be too bad.

#22 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

I started to watch Soul Eater. An anime with action and humor which I really like. And I played games with Laura Bailey in them but I never watched anime other than Dragonball Z with Laura Bailey in them.

#23 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

Ont eh subject of the Digimon movie: I remember watching it when I was younger, and learning that it was released as 3 movies in Japan, a 20, 40, and 60 minute movie. But... I had no idea the 2nd and 3rd movie weren't related. Like, I knew the first was separate, but I figured the 2nd and 3rd were back to back movies that were just stitched together for America instead. I had no idea they weren't even related. icon_eek.gif But hey, I liked it back when I was... 7, I think, for what it's worth..

#24 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed by this one or not, but the other night I watched a set of videos on YouTube. It was a series called "Turnabout Storm". It's an incredibly well-written fan-movie based on Phoenix Wright, done in the same style as the games are.

The embarrassing thing about it is that the entire thing was a crossover with "My Little Pony". Yeah, Nick is defending Rainbow Dash in a murder case where she supposedly killed somebody with a thundercloud.

Now, I'm not a brony or anything of the sort. I've never seen the original MLP show, nor do I intend to, but I'm a huge Ace Attorney fan. This was a very good series. It was fun watching Nick freak the hell out about talking ponies with names that sound like ice cream flavors. (Also, the Edgeworth cameo was hilarious!)

Even if you don't like MLP, you should watch this one (for the Edgeworth cameo alone! Sheer comedic gold!). Only problem is that it isn't finished yet. It's supposed to be four parts long, but only the first three are finished.

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

And just completed Book 3 of The Last Airbender, making the series watched through twice. Will soon start on The Legend of Korra again, though at some point need to watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again before I see The Dark Knight Rises.

Also, I typed "beaten" instead of "watched" originally. Video game mindset's taken over. icon_deformed.gif

#26 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

I've sort of pushed aside every other series and began compulsively watching Uchuu Senkan Yamato. For having such cheesy animation and such a horrid dub, it's pretty amazing. The story is unique and emotionally introspective. It's really hard to describe, but...I dunno. It feels like a total precursor to Cowboy Bebop (my all-time favorite anime).

#27 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Priceless.

#28 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well I took a brief break from Legend of Korra to watch the Burton/Schumacher Batman films again for the hell of it. Yeah, it's pretty safe to say that The Dark Knight trilogy is far superior to all of them, though I must be one of the odd few who enjoyed Batman Forever apart from what they did to Two-Face. >.>

Should get back to Korra soon. When I'm done with that, I have the 90s Spider-Man cartoon waiting for me; gonna get back in touch with my childhood, yay!

#29 -DuCkTApE-

-DuCkTApE-

The "Mask" will take over...

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Finishing up The Legend of Zelda, and Dragon Ball Z.
Starting Dragon Ball after!

#30 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

Found the Deadman Wonderland series, on YouTube in Japanese with English subs.
I've started watching them. I have to say this is one of the greatest shows I've found in quite some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users