Photo

Classic XD Tileset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Classic XD Tileset (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this expo entry?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Avataro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

ClassicXD0.png

This is Classic XD, a classic tileset xD. The tileset is complete and available for download now. :)

Download here

Make a good classic quest but keep it simple. That's the idea of this tileset. The main feature are a whole bunch of new, flexible palettes. Besides that, there are some new tiles here and there, and some fixes to the original tileset. The tileset used as a base was the default 2.5 tileset, so you should feel yourself at home when using this.

If you are great at making palettes yourself, then this tileset won't offer you much. xD Otherwise, enjoy!

ClassicXD1.pngClassicXD2.png

ClassicXD3.png ClassicXD4.png

ClassicXD5.png ClassicXD6.png

ClassicXD7.png ClassicXD8.png

Hope this makes a nice addition to the tileset database and people use it. I think classic is a little underrated and I hope this encourages more people to be creative.

Try it, or not, and let me know what you think either way. Have a good day!

ClassicXDGif.gif

Credits:
Path tiles and signpost by Yoshi
Pot tiles by Moosh
1 example screen by Shane
Torch tile by Sheik
  • Anthus, Adem, Shane and 11 others like this

#2 NoeL

NoeL

Remilia looks better with grey/green hair.

• Members

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

Love all the new palettes - muted colours are my bag, baby. Great job!

#3 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

Looking through the tileset, it's pretty nice! I think the biggest highlight of this is the wide variety of palettes, which all looks very well made (I could definitely use some of these). As far as the tiles go, nothing much has changed from the original classic set besides a few new tiles here and there. I definitely would love to see a bit more of an expansion with the tiles themselves since that would make it more unique rather than just classic with new palettes. But overall, I do like it, and I love how you added the Myrule palette in this :P Solid 4/5 from me.

#4 Avataro

Quest maker

• Members

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Thanks guys! I didn't make this clear enough, but all the palettes that have colours as names are intended to be dungeon palettes.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#5 David

David

• Forum Moderators

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

This is pretty great! I think classic is an underappreciated tileset, but I'm glad that people are working to add stuff to it. The palettes look really, really good, and I suck at making those, so this will be useful for me. Thanks for the hard work on this! :)

• Anthus and Avataro like this

#6 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:44 AM

Even though I've recently become known for reveling in excess, I do think the select number of new tiles in this set adds a notable variety of ways to freshen up classic designs. It's not always so much about providing every resource imaginable as it is about consistently using a few of them, and if people consistently use these throughout their designs - for example, making torches a regular feature across their dungeons, or making flowers a regular part of their overworlds - you'll see it doesn't take a load of new tiles or structures to keep things fresh.

Alternatively, inverse-color overworld tiles have been removed. True, they often looked ugly, and while I won't miss them in standard palettes, an argument in their favor could be made regarding their regular usage for snowy areas using CSet 0. Still, even that point is rendered moot given the availability of new winter palettes, so I think it's safe to say good riddance.

On the functional side, item cellars and passageways have finally had their upper rows solidified so that players can't walk across their open tops and exit the screens sideways. This was one of the longest-standing fixes needed in the default template, so it's good to finally have that taken care of.

And though the large amount of new palettes has been the primary attraction, it's also worth pointing out that all of the original Z1 palettes are still mostly supported. Levels 4/6, 5/7 and 8/9 have been combined into single palettes, meaning you lose the unique liquid/statue color of the latter in each case (CSet 3 color 1). Given that the CSet 4 color in the same slot was essentially never used anyway (was it?), I would have replaced it with the second Level 6/7/9 color instead of leaving it as the original third Level 4/5/8 color. And even if it was used in some obscure instance, I would still place primary focus on the color that was used for every statue and liquid across the entire dungeons, because then the main colors of both levels could be represented with a simple CSet switch. But again, it's the new palettes that are the primary focus here, and lingering on the old stuff is kind of missing the point of this set.

All in all, there's plenty of great additions and only a few minor cuts. Far as I'm concerned, anybody who wants to make a classic quest can overwrite ZQ's default classic template with this one.

• Anthus, Eddy, Avataro and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users