Photo

Screenshot of the Week 757

Joelmacool TheManHimself Valerie

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 757 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote and win a free cookie!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:57 PM

Joelmacool
Joelmacool.png
This screen follows all known 'grids'... tree grid, grass grid, leaf grid, mountain grid, rock grid, water grid... do you really want to live in this world?

TheManHimself
TheManHimself.png
Relayer, Re-layer, r.e. Layer

Valerie
Valerie.png
Scary statues

• Shane likes this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:07 PM

But does Joel follow the Joel grid?

All good screens! Something about Valerie's is quite nice, even if it's a standard Z1 screen.

#3 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:26 AM

Joel - The intersection of points, the zen-like adherence to Feng Shui, the... grids. Part of me wants to lay down and become one with the grid, the other part of me wants to throw a brick through it: Le desordre, c'est moi!

Valerie - You have a solid start on this dungeon, but that single skeleton scattered across the floor is putting in a lot of work --- too much work. (prepare for some intense metaphor). Like have you ever been super broke, and wanted to make a PBJ sandwich and found that you are almost completely out of peanut butter? that skeleton is the last ounce of PB in the jar, and he needs more skeleton friends to carpet that dungeon bread. Bones, give me more bones!!!

Mine - More Roger Dean prog-rock inspired stuff. Unfortunately, the Stalfos are camera shy hiding behind the trees.

Edited by TheManHimself, 08 June 2021 - 01:43 PM.

• Shane, Joelmacool and Matthew like this

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

Joelmacool - I actually really like the palette here, it feels pretty unique.  The screen itself is kind of "Good Gameboy Tileset Screen No. 654" though, which I say with love as I am definitely guilty of this.  There's nothing that stands out to me as super interesting about this screen that would indicate why you chose it for SotW, it's just a solid screen.

TheManHimself - It's not my favorite shot you've done for SotW but it's solid and I voted here.  Like Joel, it kind of suffers from the same "why this screen" question - but the style is fresher to me so I don't mind it as much.

Valerie - I don't know if the statue graphical style really works that well for BS - BS has a lot of hard outlines and these have more gradual shading.

Edited by Mitchfork, 08 June 2021 - 09:39 AM.

• Shane likes this

#5 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:25 AM

Like Joel, it kind of suffers from the same "why this screen" question - but the style is fresher to me so I don't mind it as much.

Massive Ooof, you are right, it is kind of filler-screen-tier. I went with this one because I thought the overall style would make it worth showing off.

Hahaha even if it is filler, at least it is quality filler. 

• Mitchfork and Shane like this

#6 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

Everywhere I look all I see is grid. GridgridgridgridgRIDGRIDGRIDnjktrlgiwagatqen;jlkwgridsbnfhn vc

Is this grid loss

• Joelmacool and TheManHimself like this

#7 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:31 PM

Everywhere I look all I see is grid. GridgridgridgridgRIDGRIDGRIDnjktrlgiwagatqen;jlkwgridsbnfhn vc

Is this grid loss

fear the grid

• Shane, Jared, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#8 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:38 PM

Gridsquad unite (I voted for joel because he supports the grid!)

(I can actually go more in depth about the idea of grids at a later point because I do think there is some merit there.)

• Shane and TheManHimself like this

#9 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:40 PM

Gridsquad unite (I voted for joel because he supports the grid!)

(I can actually go more in depth about the idea of grids at a later point because I do think there is some merit there.)

I do not support the grid. Never associate my name with that system again. This is your final warning.

• Shane, Eddy, Deedee and 1 other like this

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

We have survived without the tree grid for generations. We don't need it now! This gatekeeping, gaslighting and girlbossing shall cease!

• Jared, Joelmacool, Deedee and 2 others like this

#11 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:45 PM

You really should. I think these sort of design discussions are really helpful and interesting.
I think I have an idea of what you guys are getting at with the grids. If my assumption is right, I might have to make a case in favor of the chaos of naturalistic landscapes. I might hold a deep-seated aesthetic opposition to the GRIDLIFE.

Edited by TheManHimself, 08 June 2021 - 12:46 PM.

#12 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:53 PM

There is only one outcome here: INTERNET WAR!

• Shane, Joelmacool and TheManHimself like this

#13 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 08 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

Salvo 1:

I'm sitting outside on a dock on the shore of a lake surrounded by trees in the forests of southern Virginia. I'm desperately looking for a Tree Grid, and I've yet to find one.

Edited by TheManHimself, 08 June 2021 - 01:00 PM.

#14 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 08 June 2021 - 02:43 PM

One of the main reasons I enter these contests is to get feedback and I got some good feedback so far! :)

Valerie - You have a solid start on this dungeon, but that single skeleton scattered across the floor is putting in a lot of work --- too much work. (prepare for some intense metaphor). Like have you ever been super broke, and wanted to make a PBJ sandwich and found that you are almost completely out of peanut butter? that skeleton is the last ounce of PB in the jar, and he needs more skeleton friends to carpet that dungeon bread. Bones, give me more bones!!!

I did think that looked kinda off, and I thought I should add more...

Valerie - I don't know if the statue graphical style really works that well for BS - BS has a lot of hard outlines and these have more gradual shading.

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice it before, but now I see it, and I can fix it.
  • Mitchfork, Shane and TheManHimself like this

#15 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:05 PM

I do want to say though, Valerie, that it's really cool to see a longstanding member return to the community and support our contests/forums. I know that I and others really appreciate your submissions to SotW :)

• Valerie, Twilight Knight, Shane and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool, TheManHimself, Valerie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users