• Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

It's back. Hell yes.

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

Hmm, the handdrawn style looks okay, but what's with these companies choosing those over higher resolution sprites?  I think Streets of Rage is a series that benefits from the pixel look.  Just make them higher res and add a bit more detail...this style worked for WonderBoy because it was a cartoony type atmosphere anyway, but for a game that's going for more realism, or at least less cartoony look, I think higher res sprites are the way to go.

#3 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Koh, Axel can punch things with fire. I don't think "realism" is something they're going for here.

• Anthus, The Satellite, Jenny and 1 other like this

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

You are missing the point. Obviously there are unrealistic aspects to the world, that's going to be true for EVERY SINGLE game out there, so that's a very moot statement to make.  What I'm referring to when I mean realistic in this context is that the series has, since the beginning, had a more realistic tone with its spritework and full body pixel art.  From Bare Knuckle I through Bare Knuckle III, as it tackles more mature subjects such as corruption, violence in the streets, raids, gang violence, death, etc.  The more realistic style in the artwork and sprites complimented these themes.  To use a cartoony, vectorized artstyle in a game series set in such a world actually causes disconnect between the sequel and the setting we know it to be.  It appears I'm not in the minority with this opinion also, since several people in the comments are saying the same thing.

The style itself doesn't look bad.  It just doesn't fit aesthetically in the slightest to the Bare Knuckle world we know.  It'd be like doing a cartoony vectorized art style for Call of Duty or Resident Evil.  There are things that simply don't make sense to do in the context of the overall themes of the setting.

Edited by Koh, 28 August 2018 - 03:41 PM.

• Nicholas Steel likes this

#5 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

I think the hand drawn style looks absolutely beautiful and a perfect evolution to the series. The series would obviously never work in 3D, and as much I love the pixel style of the sor series before it, I'd rather they attempt something completely something new, but still fits within the style. This isn't like Sonic Mania, this is an actual SEQUEL, not just a nostalgic reboot. Obviously a lot of it is nostalgia, but calling it "4" is what makes me accept the new style. It's something new, but it feels like the perfect continuation of where the sor graphical style could go post 16-bit.

On another note, can we just address the new designs for the main characters? With just two changes, Axel no longer looks like a ripoff of Cody from Final Fight, and Blaze's new design strikes a middle ground between her design from the first game and her more revealing design from the second game.
  • Jenny likes this

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

I'll keep an eye on it to see if the gameplay at least turns out as good as Streets of Rage Remake's, I'm just not sold on the visuals in the slightest.

One thing they definitely need to make an attempt to do is to get Yuzo Koshiro back for the music.  It's not Bare Knuckle without Koshiro, in the same manner that it's not Dragon Quest without Koichi Sugiyama.  

EDIT:  Speaking of which, Yuzo had this to say:  https://twitter.com/...137319211556864

Interesting.

Edited by Koh, 28 August 2018 - 03:53 PM.

#7 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:57 AM

Honestly I'm fine without Koshiro, keep in mind I'm someone who loves dkc3s ost, and in all honesty, seeing all the comments going "It's not Streets of Rage without Koshiro" are already getting exceedingly toxic. Koshiro was not the only amazing thing about the series, the way the mechanics worked I think are what ultimately lead to the game's success. There are far too many beat em ups (especially back then) with incredibly bad physics or AI, and Streets of Rage (minus a couple enemies in the entire series) got its mechanics damn near perfect. If people start complaining that Koshiro isn't involved, I'd argue that it's not a fair criticism.

Fortunately, it's not a no, just not a yes. I'm just gonna not get upset if he's not involved.
  • Jenny likes this

#8 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:33 AM

I think for the most part they're referring to the Koshiro style.  Even if they don't get the actual man by name, someone who can compose in the similar Koshiro style that the Bare Knuckle series is known for, then people will be satisfied.  I believe fans were pretty happy with the soundtrack of Streets of Rage Remake.  Sure those were remixes of existing tracks instead of new tracks, but they at least proved they understood the feel Koshiro was going for with the tracks.  So if they can get composer who understand the compositions similarly, it also won't be an issue.  In this case, though, the man is still alive and no one knows his style better than himself, so why not start with the source before going into imitation territory?

I think the thing people fear is that we instead get a generic, forgettable orchestrated soundtrack of some kind for this game, instead of memorable tunes that both fit the setting and are catchy as hell, like we've been used to with the series.

Edited by Koh, 29 August 2018 - 04:38 AM.

• Haylee likes this

#9 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

I agree but hot take: SoR3 had a bad ost change my mind.

... but no, I completely agree. If we can get someone as talented as him, that'd be great, I just think that those people going "Streets of Rage is nothing without Koshiro" are jumping the gun just a little. Lol

#10 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:23 AM

So, reviving this thread, since we've gonna a TON more info on this game since then.

- The composers are confirmed!

Information grabbed from this video's description

- Yūzō Koshiro (Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Revenge Shinobi, Shenmue I & II,...)

- Motohiro Kawashima (Streets of Rage 2 & 3, Shinobi II, Batman Returns,...)
- Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Kingdom Hearts I, II & III, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve,...) 
- Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio & Future, Super Monkey Ball, Sega Rally 2,...)
- Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl,...)

Kinda nuts that we go both main series composers for the series back, plus some notable people who could spice things up as well.

- A new member of the SoR roster was announced last month or so: Cherry Hunter, daughter to Adam Hunter, and I guess niece to Skate. Means unless Skate or Adam are added to the roster with this game, this continues the trend of there only being one Hunter family member per game.

Cherry Hunter

- Next, Gameplay: Firstly, you can now juggle enemies as oppose to NOT being able to in previous games. Cherry seems to be the character that emphasizes juggling the most, though. Her gameplay seems really cool as well so far.

Star Levels are back!

- Mechanically, the game seems to (in my opinion, regretfully) take after primarily Streets of Rage 2. While Star Levels from SoR3 seem to still be a thing (Though supposedly work differently now), the meter is gone, and you're back to taking damage when you use specials. It's nice that the game has a nice balance of mechanics from both games, but one of the things I don't like is:

- Taken from SoR2, Cherry seems to be the ONLY character with a dash, as opposed to every character being able to in SoR3. This made the game so much more fast paced so it kind of baffles me that they would actively regress mechanically like this.

And that's everything I could gleam so far. Overall, I'm still super excited for this game, if a bit disappointed that it takes after the more mechanically inferior entry in the series, in my opinion. I'm still SUPER hyped, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users