Megaman 11

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

I've been a casual Megaman fan at best, and haven't played every game, and haven't followed the series since its inception. The only games in the entire series I've finished are Megaman 1, and 2, X, X8, and ZX. That's a random mix, I know, but I generally enjoy these games. I also bought Megaman 9, and 10, but haven't got around to beating them.

This looks like a cool idea, but like others have said, I am not a fan of 2.5D for games like this. I like the Rayman Origins approach to making a side scroller-- keep it sprite based, even if there are some 3D effects. This extends to the DKCR games, Samus Returns, Kirby, and really, any game that should be 2D, but they feel the need to throw in some polygons. This doesn't make them bad, but it will be indicative of a period a few years out. It must be easier at this point to animate basic 3D models than to draw out frames for a sprite based game.

As long as it plays well, I don't care how it looks, at the end of the day. I just prefer true 2D visuals for games like this.

#17 KEM64

KEM64

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

Well, I was expecting nothing from Capcom, or something pointless like merchandise. But a new game? Legacy Collection games for Switch? ALL 8 MEGA MAN X GAMES COMING TO ALL CONSOLES AND PC?!?!

........Just take my money, Capcom. Just don't mess this up, and don't cancel the games either!

#18 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

Look, can we just be f▒▒▒ing happy that they're even trying at this point?

To be honest I'd probably be enthused if this wasn't called Mega Man 11. Mega Man has had many different series, very different from each other, in 2D and in 3D, and I've enjoyed the majority of them. But after the experience of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man X7, for example, I really don't like to see them changing things up in the middle of a series. If this was called something like Mega Man Adventures or something, I'd be pretty hyped.

It's not really a matter of whether this game looks good or bad, what matters is the games we won't be getting (8-bit Mega Man 11, and possibly 8-bit Mega Man 12, 13, and so on)

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

#20 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:36 PM

Looks fantastic honestly, and shockingly the voice-acting is quite fine... although I don't necessarily care for it being constantly on during the boss fights. That, and I think Megaman sounds too old, but I'll still take it over his little girl voice in 8. Which is what the bosses yammering on during the fights reminds me of. And Megaman calling his attacks (or at least calling Rush Coil). Hope there's an option to turn that off, honestly...

But the game itself looks great and I can't wait for it.

• Adem likes this

#21 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

My worries about the game increased after seeing the new trailer  :shrug:

#22 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

it looks pretty good. i'm not big on the voice acting but the new robot master designs are honestly neat and as long as they get the physics reasonably okay and the level design has a reasonable amount of effort put in i think it'll be cool

i don't really care if it's 8-bit or not... i mean i think mega man 7 sucks but i think that has less to do with the fidelity of the graphics and more about how fucking unreasonable some of the level+boss designs are

#23 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

If this gets popular, I hope they start doing competitions again for making new bosses for sequels, as they did originally. I'm not a massive massive Mega Man fan (I've played through most of the first one and read the Bob & George webcomic), but even so I think that'd be quite cool.

That said, this looks pretty good.

Edited by klop422, 30 May 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#24 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

The game seems pretty safe for the most part, which I think is a good thing. Capcom's been neglecting Megaman as of late, so a revival that doesn't do much new is a good way for Capcom to get used to how Megaman feels again. Overall, I'm still quite looking forward to this.

#25 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

That trailer reinforced one of my issues with the game. Collision boxes are impossible to tell visually. You can't tell if you're current position is safe or not safe from something. This is especially prevalent during that electrical boss fight and its electrical attacks. You can't tell how close you can stand near a boss/enemy without the game thinking you're colliding with it, and you can't tell how close you can be to various attack's/projectiles/effects without taking damage.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 06 June 2018 - 09:55 AM.

• Cukeman likes this

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

That trailer reinforced one of my issues with the game. Collision boxes are impossible to tell visually. You can't tell if you're current position is safe or not safe from something. This is especially prevalent during that electrical boss fight and its electrical attacks. You can't tell how close you can stand near a boss/enemy without the game thinking you're colliding with it, and you can't tell how close you can be to various attack's/projectiles/effects without taking damage.

That's basically how I felt playing ALBW. It's a subtle but important thing

Edited by Cukeman, 06 June 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#27 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

Imo, this applies to almost all games that use 3D models for a 2D playing field. I had the same problem in Samus Returns, but more so with edges of floating platforms than enemies. And Sonic Generation for 3DS had this issue too. It's not enough to ruin the game, but it does mess with me sometimes.

• Cukeman likes this

#28 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:12 AM

That's basically how I felt playing ALBW. It's a subtle but important thing

In ALBW if you're on a ramp or stairs than your Sword will go above an enemy standing on the same ramp but slightly lower than you, or under them if they are slightly higher than you on the stairs/ramp. It's very infuriating. Afaik it's not an issue in any other top-down perspective Zelda games.

Easily tested on the ramp just outside your house with the guard nearby who occasionally patrols up the ramp, so you can sneak up behind him and try and whack him with your sword while you're both on the ramp.

The new trailer for Megaman 11 does show they've changed the walk and jump animation for Megaman, making it significantly better looking (though still a bit clunky compared to the SNES games)

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 07 June 2018 - 02:16 AM.

#29 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

Less than a month to go. A demo dropped on the eShop today and of course I downloaded it. Only one level, but it was a lengthy one, enough to give me some impressions.

- Really love the graphical style of the game. Only icons that bug me are 1-ups and e-tanks, which seem... unfinished? I dig the model for the energy pickups, though.

- Appreciate that you can in fact turn voices off. Didn't exercise it, but I'm glad it's there.

- Gameplay feels right for the most part. Only real gripe is the slide, which doesn't last for nearly as long as it should, nor does it feel as smooth as it did in the 8-bit games.

- Level is long, perhaps not quite as long as levels in 8 (it's been too long to know for sure), but definitely around the length of 5's if not longer. It didn't really overstay its welcome I feel, but that may change upon release if there are a lot of game overs.

- Music is regrettably forgettable. His name in Japan is Rockman, so why do they never go with rock-style music in the non-8-bit games? The closest they got to this was in 7, while 8 went more for techno/synth stuff. Feels like they attached the "rock" feel to Megaman X while taking it away from the classic series.

- May seem like a nitpick but the sound design was kind of generic. In past games, especially the 8-bit ones, sound effects were very signature, distinctive. Here, they're incredibly run-of-the-mill and lacking character. 

Overall though my feelings are positive and I'm looking forward to the full game. Still hoping for extra playable characters besides Megaman. Protoman of course but also preferably Roll as well.

• Anthus and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#30 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, it's definitely looking promising. Aside from the large moving objects and a couple of vertically scrolling areas, it seems pretty faithful to how the NES levels are designed, too. Even has those single-screen vertical rooms between horizontal layers

- Gameplay feels right for the most part. Only real gripe is the slide, which doesn't last for nearly as long as it should, nor does it feel as smooth as it did in the 8-bit games.

I think that might be another perceptual issue. I can't count the frames and pixels so easily, but as near as I can tell, the timing and speed of sliding are exactly the same. The animation of getting up at the end makes it seem slightly longer, if anything.

Getting on and off ladders feels slower to me, but I haven't directly compared that.

- Level is long, perhaps not quite as long as levels in 8 (it's been too long to know for sure), but definitely around the length of 5's if not longer. It didn't really overstay its welcome I feel, but that may change upon release if there are a lot of game overs.

Closer to 8 than 5, I'd say. The NES games' levels were typically in the neighborhood of 24 screens, with the longest reaching about 30. MM8's are harder to measure, mostly because of the 4-way scrolling areas, but they're generally around 50 screens. By my count, this level is 38 or 39 screens long. With the wider aspect ratio, that works out to about 48 NES or PSX screens.
  • nicklegends and The Satellite like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users