Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4681 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:47 PM

months ago i wanted beat a optional boss of Dragon Crown, the demon king , but i give up

Today i had the idea to try again and i beat it whit the witch at the first attempt, I have not change  skills or equipment, maybe the other time I was not in good shape

#4682 JohnnieForce

JohnnieForce

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:09 AM

Tonight i am playing 2003's Wario Ware on the advanced Game boy platform, very fun and much funny but am glad to not pay full price because how short game is, is it really been fifteen years?? how did so much time go by?

#4683 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:53 AM

Replaying the first Kingdom Hearts game again. Figured I've played it enough times between the PS2 and PS4 versions that I should be able to get a Platinum Trophy really damned easy. I mean, I have a 100% file already on my PS2. Not the Final Mix version, but still.

So, I'm doing my first trophy-based run on Beginner Mode. I'm planning on getting "Unchanging Armor" (Don't touch the equipment menu at all until you've beaten the game), "Undefeated" (Don't use the Continue option on death. You can still die and it won't count if you use the Load Game option.), and "Speedster". The Speedster trophy is kind of funny. You have to beat the game in under 15 hours. However, they never bothered to adapt the in-game timer to take the trophy into account. Once it hits 100 hours, it changes color and rolls back to zero. If you miss the time limit, you can just leave the game running overnight for a few days and go kill the final boss again on the next go-around.

What I didn't expect was for the game to make Beginner Mode even easier than it was in the original game! You start the game pre-loaded with free end-game equipment. The equipment you get gives you 30% additional EXP from every enemy you defeat, and also makes you take 30% less damage from any elemental-type attack. Later on, I discovered that the game also gave me around 8 free HP UP, Attack Up, and Defense Up items, as well as about 5 free AP Up items as well. So, I end up with skyrocketed stats at the beginning of the game where every enemy is doing 1 damage at a time, and I'm slaughtering enemies in a single hit when they should be taking at least two full combos.

Originally, I decided that I'd make things easier on myself and to the long route to the Speedster trophy. I could spend the extra time grinding out all of the long and slow tasks, like gathering all of the stuff for Synthesis and getting the trophy for creating all of the items. I did a bit of level grinding in Traverse Town until I was at level 7, then got a bit bored and figured I'd just play through normally up until the first Hollow Bastion visit, so that I could collect all of the enemy drops when all of the enemies were available but before they got their stat buffs for end-game. I absolutely hate the beginning levels, so I sped my way through them. Skipped all of the cutscenes, and just bee-lined it from objective to objective to get those levels out of the way. Discovered that I'd finished the first set of levels in less than an hour and a half.

So, I figured I could see how far and how quick I could get through the game. My game-breaking stats, even when skipping every random enemy and only getting experience from boss battles got me all the way to the second visit to Hollow Bastion in under six hours. Remember, the requirement was fifteen! The game think's I'm incredibly underleveled, and an effortless Oogie Boogie fight got me, Donald, and Goofy each four level-ups at once! You couldn't see the screen under the announcements! I wish that I had remembered the screenshot function, because it was kind of neat.

I also found out something absolutely amazing about the Riku battle. You know, the really difficult one at the end that'll kick your ass, especially on Critical Mode. (Which I'm also going to have to do to get the Critical trophy and finish up, but I can get literally every other trophy on this easy run, so if I abuse Damage Storage, no pressure) You know that one attack he has where he starts glowing, zips around the screen to stun-lock you once he hits you, and then blows up the whole damn arena? I accidentally found an easily-repeatable way to break that attack.

There are two computer terminals up against the balcony side of the arena. Once he starts glowing to prep for the attack, get over to those and press yourself into the corner between the balcony railing and the side of the computer. All you have to do is jump straight up one time to dodge that very first dash. He can't warp into the computer terminal, so you're safe against every single dash attack and he can't stun-lock you or even hit you once. His massive explosion finisher will miss you as well. You literally don't even have to move, and you dodge his most difficult and most dangerous attack with zero effort. (For anyone who doesn't play the game, the usual method is to jump and glide to stay off the ground. You usually still get hit by the final dash and the finisher, so the usual way of dodging still gets you hurt.)

Considering Dodge Roll will evade everything else, Aero will negate most of the damage from the attacks that do get in, and this should pretty much turn the hardest battle in the game into a cakewalk.

#4684 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 27 September 2018 - 10:25 PM

I'm killing Super Hydorah atm.

Edited by Chris Miller, 27 September 2018 - 10:26 PM.

#4685 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

I was playing Timespinner and wondering why one two of the songs sounded so dang familiar! They are a reference to Tiny Barbarian! I assume both games use the same composer...

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 25 December 2018 - 07:56 AM.

#4686 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

Raisen 3 lord of the titans

i cannot say i don't liked it,  but the ending is so short and poor

#4687 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 01 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

Been actually playing through the hallowed Shovel Knight. Just on the base game (i.e. not DLC) for now, and I must say I'm enjoying it. A lot of the boss fights are really fun, and nothing's frustrated me except for my own stupidity (although I'm using a keyboard, not a controller, so I could blame that, even though I've never used a controller for PC gaming. Because I don't PC game a lot). Anyway, I've beaten at least half of it (or my achievements tell me so), so that's been fun. Will probably finish it in the next week.

• The Satellite likes this

#4688 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:13 AM

Let's see...

I'm stuck on the Data battles on Kingdom Hearts 2. Xaldin is a lot harder once you're absolutely required to get rid of his Aero spell to do any decent damage, and I've never been very good at the Learn/Jump Reaction Commands.

Birth By Sleep is pretty much finished except for having to re-do an accidentally-deleted Terra save file to unlock the Final and Secret Episodes. Since I only technically have to do a Critical Mode run with a single character's story, and the usual expected level to complete it is so low, I can get around those with little effort by abusing some of the EXP exploits and just power-leveling past the storyline. I'm pretty sure that I can pull off a Platinum Trophy for this game as well.

Started playing the new 3.2 version of Tale of Two Wastelands. To try and make this run a bit more unique, I downloaded a converted version of a mod called "Ties That Bind", that gives the Lone Wanderer a sister as a follower. I'd never used that mod before, so I went through the Vault escape sequence, and when my DLC packs kicked in to give me a bunch of starter gear, I started splitting it up between the two of us immediately. Partially so that we were both on equal terms as far as firepower, and partially to limit myself to only a few pieces of gear that I'd actually use instead of starting off as a walking arsenal. Took three steps and the mod's new quest kicked in, to my surprise. Lost my new follower, all the gear that I'd given her, and had to immediately work on getting her back since I read in the mod description that she has unique commentary for various parts of the main plot.

By the way, there's a New Vegas mod that's compatible called "JIP Minimap". Really changes how you play the game if you keep it locked in "Local Map" mode. Every time that I've played Fallout 3 before, I've always missed a TON of stuff. Now my OCD as far as clearing up "fog-of-war" areas should help me find more stuff that I've missed on previous runs. Also helps keep me from getting lost as often in sewers and subways. Having to constantly pull up the Pipboy map every ten feet made those places much more miserable to explore, and having a minimap really helps. (If you ever play with this mod, get the "Flashlight NVSE" mod as well. JIP Minimap makes the Pipboy light go all screwy and shut itself off constantly in exterior areas. The Flashlight flickers a lot due to engine limitations, but it's easy to imagine that it's just post-apocalypse wear-and-tear, and it's still a great alternative)

#4689 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:17 AM

So, I couldn't sleep last night (which was useful cos I had to be up at 7am), so I finished off Shovel Knight. Great game. Not sure I can be bothered to put my in-depth thoughts, but I'll try and summarise some of it.

General thing - most issues I had with frustrating gameplay were caused, as far as I can tell, by my own ineptitude, and not bad design, or the fact that my keyboard wasn't letting me press too many keys at once. That's a plus.

Worst stage (by which I mean most frustrating) is Propeller Knight's. Just annoying to keep being blown off the stage. That said, it's the level with the best music, so it gets a pass in my book.

Speaking of the music, it's incredible. Some of the tracks more so than others (I wasn't a fan, musically, of Polar Knight's stage - probably my second least favourite level as well, tbh - or, unfortunately, the final boss theme), but all of it is really well written and catchy. Especially the Plains theme and (as I said above) Propeller Knight's stage.

Anyway, that was a lot more vacuous than I had hoped to write, but suffice to say I enjoyed the whole thing. In any case, this game isn't terribly new, so others have already sung all the praise I need. Will do the new game +, then the extra dlc games. See how those go :P.

In other news, I've been doing a run of Pokémon FireRed, using only Poison Types. Just for the fun of it. I'm in Victory Road so far, and it's going fairly well. Blue's Alakazam is an issue, though, as is his Charizard which counters both Venusaur and Beedrill. Also, turns out Beedrill is terrible in FireRed. I don't know if it's been buffed since (I've never used it before), but its moveset is a travesty.

#4690 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:31 PM

So since my last post my computer had to be repaired and they reset it, so my Shovel Knight progress is gone. And my phone died, as I complained about on Discord for a bit, so my FireRed progress is also gone. What can ya do?

In any case, I've had Banjo Kazooie sitting around for as long as I can remember, tbh, and I was terrified of the game as a kid. Something about the game over cutscene just got to me. In any case, picked it up again and - bar a couple things I'll complain about next paragraph, I'm loving it.

Complaints - I don't like that progress per level (except jigsaw pieces and techniques learned) is completely resets every time you leave. Just frustrating. That and the camera controls weirdly. Maybe I'm just used to Mario 64, but, while some of it makes more sense, it's making me motion sick. The whole 'keep the camera behind you' think does help for getting along narrow ledges, but still, I get headaches if I play for more than a couple hours, meaning I can pretty much only do a level per session. Might be my TV as well, but as I say, never had issues with Mario 64 (or Mario Kart).

That said, the game has a ton of personality and I'm really enjoying it. Great fun, and not ridiculously hard either (not that that'd be a bad thing, but it's nice to unwind after studying :P).

#4691 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

The things resetting after leaving a world or dying is incredibly infuriating, especially when you get to the later worlds of the game. The first six worlds are not too bad for that but you are going to be in for a rough time if you want to 100% the worlds after that.

Thankfully the XBox 360 port fixed this problem; collectables remain collected after dying or exiting the world.

#4692 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

You should be 100%'ing the musical notes on your first visit to each level anyways... but yeah this was changed in the HD port and is also changed in the games sequel on the N64.

Most N64 games are designed for 4:3 aspect ratio, make sure you set your TV to that mode when playing to hopefully alleviate your motion sickness issues.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 09 May 2019 - 09:46 PM.

#4693 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:57 AM

I mean, I'm 100%ing music notes where I can - missed about 6 in the pirate level, and 100%ed the other two I've done. Problem is when you die because of the lack of good places to get back hp, everything resets.

#4694 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

stuff:

i'm playing DARK SOULS because i'm an EPIC CHALLENGE GAMER that LOVES TO BE PUNISHED

no, but really, it's a lot of fun.  it's a fair amount easier than demon's souls which fucking kicked my shit in so hard (old king & maneaters holy fuckin shit) that i can't even pretend to be fazed by anything dark souls has thrown at me (yet)
but it's gorgeous and still a joy and i love the area design and the way everything connects together and even though it's not AS hard it's still offered some challenge (quelaag baby)

my 3D spatial awareness in video games is awful so i feel like i'm not appreciating the way the map is designed as much as someone who has everything mapped out in their head though

also playing: mega man 8
hoof boy i have opinions on that but they're mostly not negative??? except for the couple of ridiculous things which are REALLY dumb (jump! jump! slide! slide!)

other than that i'm playing kingdom hearts 2. will be cool to catch up so i can finally play all the bajillion kingdom hearts inbetween games so i can finally play kh3
  • nicklegends likes this

#4695 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

In any case, I've had Banjo Kazooie sitting around for as long as I can remember, tbh, and I was terrified of the game as a kid. Something about the game over cutscene just got to me. In any case, picked it up again and - bar a couple things I'll complain about next paragraph, I'm loving it.

Complaints - I don't like that progress per level (except jigsaw pieces and techniques learned) is completely resets every time you leave. Just frustrating. That and the camera controls weirdly. Maybe I'm just used to Mario 64, but, while some of it makes more sense, it's making me motion sick. The whole 'keep the camera behind you' think does help for getting along narrow ledges, but still, I get headaches if I play for more than a couple hours, meaning I can pretty much only do a level per session. Might be my TV as well, but as I say, never had issues with Mario 64 (or Mario Kart).

That said, the game has a ton of personality and I'm really enjoying it. Great fun, and not ridiculously hard either (not that that'd be a bad thing, but it's nice to unwind after studying :P).

So I finally beat it, after taking a couple rests since I've been away and stuff. Overall, pretty much the same opinions as last time, but overall, great. Final boss and last few levels were great fun, despite a couple frustrations with the camera and some slightly cruel level design sometimes, but it's fine.

Also, turned out the motion sickness/headaches was also likely cos of my eyesight, at least in part, since it turned out I needed glasses, and getting them helped. I mean, even so, watching my brother play Mario 64 doesn't seem as painful, but eh.

Overall, I see why people love the game, and when I get the chance, I'll be sure to play through Banjo-Tooie as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users