Photo

Screenshot of the Week 310

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (60 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

or ignore unhelpful comments. they know not how the screen in question is used in a quest, so they rate and comment based on simple impressions of the shot. you could also stop posting, for surely you will get less feedback you don't like that way. maybe work more on a quest and worry less about what others think (or claim to think). ranting inappropriately seldom leads to success.

#32 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Feb 7 2011, 02:47 PM) View Post
I do like the way my screens look, its just i work hard on them and people don't like them

Hey, I never said that there was anything wrong with your screen. I said it was basic, I then went on to say that there is nothing wrong with that. It's not a bad in-game screen, but is extremely simple for a SotW screen. Considering I'm sure that your wondering what makes your screen basic, I'll try my best to explain. a) The screen is largely made up of green combos, try making some of the treetops a different colour, b) Try doing something more creative with the transparent overhang, it's way too basic, c) Add more ground detail, you've only got two bushes and some sporadically placed detail here and there, try some grass, and d) make the amount of dirt smaller, and more like a pathway as to make room for the grass. If you cannot accept this kind of criticism, then I see no reason for you to show us your screens. That goes for everybody. This isn't third grade, we don't have to give one nice comment +1 for every criticism we have.

#33 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:21 AM

So, it is the luck of the draw. My shot got overshadowed by the others, which led it to getting to no votes, and it is likley to stay that way.

Sigh... Why do I have to be out of luck this week. icon_sweat.gif It makes me feel like that my screen was a miserable failure when the majority says otherwise...

#34 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Feb 9 2011, 04:21 AM) View Post

So, it is the luck of the draw. My shot got overshadowed by the others, which led it to getting to no votes, and it is likley to stay that way.

Sigh... Why do I have to be out of luck this week. icon_sweat.gif It makes me feel like that my screen was a miserable failure when the majority says otherwise...

You're not the first person to not get any votes in SotW, we've all been through this. Remember that people don't rate each shot individually and have to just vote for one. Thus, you could've an extremely close for several people who voted differently.

#35 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

At least i got some votes, it lets me know some people like my screens icon_thumbsup.gif

EDIT: YAY 500th post

Edited by Yoshidude, 09 February 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#36 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Orin, sometimes our best isn't enough. I put in my best and it got me third place. Yoshidude put in his best and it got him fifth place. You put in your best and haven't even gotten a single vote. The thing is everyone works on a different level. When a veteran ZQuest user like Robin or Sephiroth enters with their best, they almost always win. Don't be discouraged that your shot didn't get any votes. It really sometimes just comes down to a dog show here...people sometimes just subconsciously vote for the oldest members when they don't know who to pick. Our best effort is the same for each of us. It's all about the meaning people apply to that effort.

#37 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

even if you don't win your screens are still good, don't get upset that other people didn't vote for it, it was a tough battle this week

#38 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

I voted for Molten Onyx. To me it seems the least messy of them all, and the graphics, like usual, are really nice.

#39 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

Molten Onyx:

Nice, neat shot that blends all the graphics from different games such that they don't look unnatural next to each other. I still don't understand why so many people have two types of grass -- in this case, one of them BS grass, and one of them just solid green ground -- but it *does* look good, so no complaints here.

Are single-tier LTTP mountains really such a big deal? Because I could easily make some loose tiles for them. Unless of course that'd spoil your ability to feel special. icon_wink.gif

Orin XD:

Hmmm. There's just something I don't like about the palette of this shot. I think it's the mixture of dull and bright colors. And using those greens for grass. Feels like either the greens should be altered to contain less blue, or the palette might be limited to areas without grass.

The screen design is okay, although it's starting to look a little tree-heavy for a screen that's divided into three sections by the mountains.

Speaking of which, the more I see my own DoR mountains, the less I like them. They just seem too lumpy and don't blend well with the dirt. So if anyone accuses me of being unfairly biased in FAVOR of DoR tileset shots, you are way off the mark. icon_razz.gif While I obviously like the style of my own tileset, I am also especially critical of my own work.

ZeeLiam:

Nicely done for a Classic screen. I agree that the mountains feel like they have a believable structure even with this complex layout. My one issue is with all the patches of grass and... er... whatever those green speckles are. (Cut grass?) They don't do anything for the screen but call attention to the fact that it is comprised of squares.

Pokemonmaster64:

Ahhh, a good old DoR beach scene. I definitely tried to stock the tileset with plenty of beach objects. A few notes:

- Near the top, why did you double-layer the grass? It doesn't look BAD, per se, but it's a little weird, and it might mess up the walk flags. In fact I'm almost sure the walk flags are weird on this screen. I'm guessing that ledge to the right of the ladder is inaccessible, but it's not entirely clear whether it is supposed be.
- I don't recommend putting a ladder touching diagonal mountains. Why not join that upper ridge with the lower ridge just below it? You could have them join just to the right of the ladder.
- That palm tree on the right is pretty close to the eroding sand. Is that little "dune" walkable? Whether it is or not, you might move the palm tree away from it by a little bit.
- There's no need for those dark layer 1 grass borders at the point where the grass meets the sand. Why not use the sand/grass borders that go on layer 0 wherever possible?

Yoshidude:

Well, it's a very basic Pure forest shot that uses all the tiles that were designed for it. Nothing exciting or unusual, but perfectly well made. Keep it up! Just make sure to put in something interesting or strange every few screens. icon_smile.gif

Furion:

Nice non-Zelda shot. It looks like it was taken in ZQuest, but I'm not going to rag on you too much for that...though it would be good to see a little action here to get an idea of how you're implementing ZQuest for something so unusual. As it stands, it's just an example of your tile-ripping and/or drawing capabilities.

Anyway, my vote went to Molten Onyx.

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Feb 7 2011, 12:03 AM) View Post
Myself: Geeze, I wonder what went so wrong that nobody voted for this. I feel that it is a good step up from my past entry, and I followed everyone's critique on that entry (and Pokemonmaster, there were less enemies and projectiles in my pervious entry, and you voted for that too).

Well, see, here's the thing. When you look at how the votes went, you can't just think of it as a straight distribution of "best to worst." Each person can only vote for one entry, and on top of that, everybody has different tastes.

So, let's say you have somebody who really likes Classic quests. If that person likes ZeeLiam's style, s/he might say "YES THIS IS WHAT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR" and vote for it. Since there's only one Classic screenshot here, it's quite possible that ZeeLiam's shot attracted most of the Classic lovers.

Meanwhile, we've got two straight DoR shots, one of which looks like a modified DoR/MC hybrid, and then one more in addition to that which looks like Pure with a handful of DoR-like tiles added. So people who like DoR/Pure style shots may be split between those three shots. If two or more of those shots are similar but one is slightly better, then one of the screenshots might slip through the cracks, as yours has. Does any of that make sense?

Oh, and then of course there's the "this doesn't look like an existing tileset at all" entries, a.k.a. "wildcards." Yes, there are people who tend to vote specifically for the wildcards, too. Furion's is the only "wildcard" this time, since it has no tileset graphics that I can recognize.

#40 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

Are single-tier LTTP mountains really such a big deal? Because I could easily make some loose tiles for them.
I am totally digging the idea. What kept me from using aLttP-mountains back in the day was simply their size. The "traditional" aLttP-mountains are way too big for most ZC-screens in my humble opinion.

#41 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Feb 10 2011, 01:56 AM) View Post
Are single-tier LTTP mountains really such a big deal? Because I could easily make some loose tiles for them.
I am totally digging the idea. What kept me from using aLttP-mountains back in the day was simply their size. The "traditional" aLttP-mountains are way too big for most ZC-screens in my humble opinion.

This is a good point. But I am not yet sure whether single-tier mountains would really solve the problem. Merging tiers might be a little awkward, too.

#42 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

If anyone wants them, I can clean them up and submit them. The single layer mountain tiles, that is. EDIT: I'll probably do DoR recolours, too.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 10 February 2011 - 10:29 AM.

#43 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

That would be very nice MO! I would love to use them!

#44 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Was torn between Orin and ZeeLiam, but... voted for Orin. Zee's Classic is brilliant, but what killed it for me was Link and the Octoroks remained unchanged, rather than matching the rest of the shot's revamped-ness.

Orin's screen is a work of art. icon_smile.gif There's a lot of action going on, I'm seriously intrigued by the little flames flying around.

Onyx's shot is nice, but the colors are hard for me to look at. It sears my eyes.

#45 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:43 AM

voted for furion just looks awesome! also love the glare sun thingy XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users