ZC

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:25 AM

Castles of Peril, made by TK8305, is the second quest of his [Locations] of [Bad Thing] series.  Unfortunately, it is currently not in the database, but whenever it gets added, I'll put a link to it both here and in the video descriptions.

#2 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Part 2

#3 TK8305

TK8305

Dirty Thoughts Are Bad! Unless they are of Mahoro! :3

• Members

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Good stuff so far man.  w00t!

#4 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

Part 3

#5 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:31 PM

Part 4

#6 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

Wow, you're doing really well given how sorely under-equipped you are at this point in the quest. Considering at this point TK had 12 hearts, the letter and Blue Ring, you're really doing this on Hard Mode. But you're getting it done. If I haven't told you this before Melee, you're really good at catching second wind. For some reason, your skill goes up when you're in a pinch. That or it's becoming a running theme of you having many close call victories in the past.

#7 TK8305

TK8305

• Members

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:34 PM

He's doing damn good with not having the Blue Ring yet.  xD

Making me look like a chump so far.  

#8 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

Part 5

#9 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

Part 6

#10 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Part 7

#11 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

Part 8

#12 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Time for more ZC runs

• Members

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

And this is exactly what bad quest design will do to a player.  This is pretty much one big hack and slash quest, of which I'm not fond of at all.  That and all the added fake difficulty in this quest doesn't help.  A lot of stuff was put in that will likely annoy some players.  Also why I don't do blind runs, as if I run into glaring problems, better to inform the author instead of struggling on.

Now given this is a rather old quest made with early ZC versions, didn't really have that many options on what to put in.  So given some more recent stuff that can be used, ToT is a more polished quest.  Much more balanced, and the player will always have an out for those really sticky rooms in later levels.  Also, the quest just gets to the point with more direct screens rather than cramped up mazes, just putting one obstacle in front of the entrance to a level, which is really all that's needed.

Edited by pixcalibur, 13 December 2014 - 02:23 PM.

• TK8305 likes this

#13 RedmageAdam

RedmageAdam

The Protector of Emotions

• Members

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

I left a similar comment on part 8 (I'm probably going to end up getting blocked from the channel or have a lot of people chew me out), but I'm going to say it here:

The version of Castles of Peril TK uploaded to PureZC fixes many issues found in the LP, which is of the older version. Notably, there is now a shortcut you can unlock just outside of each cave so you don't have to go through it every time. In addition, all of the Armos mazes and pits that force you into F6'ing are gone. This IS an old quest and I won't deny Castles of Peril is TK's weakest title by far, but seriously people, give the poor guy some slack. Most people don't make their earlier game(s) the best. Seriously, seeing a 4.5+ rating on someone's first quest is unlikely unless it is really good. TK did make the difficulty and tedium a bit too much in his first two quests, but it's nowhere close to this bad in Temples of Turmoil, especially after his remake of it.

I don't blame Melee for being frustrated. Hell, I'd probably have rage quit after the first death or two. Just how fast he died alone would have made me think I missed something VERY important. Which if you want to know what, check the spoiler. Again, I understand why this is an awful experience for Melee, but seriously, I think TK is being slammed way too harshly for making one quest that's filled with annoying things and fake difficulty. At least he doesn't spam Death Knights everywhere and have Deathbos and dungeons littered with 1-hit kill traps all over the place or enemies that have a breath of 1-hit kill Super Bombs that has a Step Speed of 999.

• Eddy and TK8305 like this

#14 TK8305

TK8305

• Members

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

I must admit, the end of Part 8 was pretty harsh having COP be called the WORST of everything he's did so far....but I did man up and fix a LOT of the huge problems he ran into.  That way no one has THAT kind of experience with this game again. 

In the early days I did go WAAAAAAAAAAY overboard with statue shooters, flooded enemies in every room, armos mazes out the wazoo, I think

it was mainly to test my skills and I wanted to challenge myself because the original Zelda was too easy for me.  At the same time I lost sight of how damn difficult and unbalanced they could be for other people and how it could royally shun them away.  

Incase you didn't know....IOD and COP were both made in 2001....13 something years ago!  I was a complete & utter n00b back then and had no sense of balance, design or anything resembling a solid ZC Quest Maker.  After talking to Adam, Eddy, Moosh, Team and others I learned a lot more and they helped me make ToT a much better & more balanced quest.

Also, another update to COP was made.....I changed all enemies to "Enemies Never Return" when you kill them now.  Wish I would have activated it years ago but better late then never I guess.  

Here's hoping I'll redeem myself in Melee's eyes with ToT.  

• RedmageAdam likes this

#15 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, I was kinda wondering what the reaction to this one would be.  Rest assured that things get MUCH better from here on.  If only I had found Level 7 before Level 8, this whole thing could have been avoided...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users