The Official Quest Video Thread

• Please log in to reply
730 replies to this topic

#16 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Well that makes sense the only ppl I know is posting vids is myself and Schwa.

#17 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

I might try to make one. I'll post it up later if I go ahead and do it. And cool video TriMaster, looks promising.

#18 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

Maybe if this was re-done properly. Miko should edit his first post to look...better. More official looking you know? Also, some links to video-recording sites and the like for people to have easy access to would be nice icon_wink.gif.

Edited by LinkMystro, 11 September 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#19 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:02 PM

Post your own quest videos here? Ok then:

http://youtube.com/p...user=UlfTurgeon

There are now 11 Lost Isle videos there and there's still more to come. You can expect MMDWR videos soon too.

#20 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

I think it's more to give people a sneak peak at upcoming quests, rather than show people what they're already played... but cool anyway Peteo icon_razz.gif

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Sep 11 2007, 04:43 PM) View Post

I guess, that I'll post the first video in this thread icon_slycool.gif

SHADOWS OF DAWN 2.5 OPENING SCENE

My second SOD2.5 Video showing you the new Opening Scene. As promised Link does not talk in the dialogue.

Feedback!

Total kudos on the title screen. You really got it down. It looks quite good, and the little "pa-plink!" noise and the quality Zelda theme remix make it feel like it's on the SNES.

About the dialog "tutorial": it kinda takes away the fire from the opening to have to read this before any story is presented. icon_unsettled.gif Designwise, I think it would be better if you had a narrative prologue of sorts that plays out in front of the same background, then give the tutorial right before it cuts to the actual characters.

Now, about the "emotes:" describing Link's reactions in parentheses just doesn't work for me. If you want Link to remain silent, but not inactive, I think it would look better if you allowed the player to figure it out through the context of what other characters are saying. For instance:

Zelda: "What's that? Why the long face, Link? I thought you LOVED banana cream pie..."

Heh, that's how many games do it... it's a cheap trick, but they use it because it works. icon_wink.gif

Incidentally, if you were to use one of the recent betas, it's possible to bipass the "press down to continue" instructions altogether, and have the player always use the A button, even for screen transitions during dialog. You can do that without scripts, even. Just use a "slash->next" combo which turns into an "auto warp" combo. Or, if you prefer, use sword flag #79, and have it trigger an "auto warp" combo when activated.

But if you don't want to figure out how to do all that... oh well; I guess I'll be the only one with smooth, intuitive dialog transitions. icon_wink.gif

#22 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 11 2007, 10:58 PM) View Post
Incidentally, if you were to use one of the recent betas, it's possible to bipass the "press down to continue" instructions altogether, and have the player always use the A button, even for screen transitions during dialog. You can do that without scripts, even. Just use a "slash->next" combo which turns into an "auto warp" combo. Or, if you prefer, use sword flag #79, and have it trigger an "auto warp" combo when activated.

But if you don't want to figure out how to do all that... oh well; I guess I'll be the only one with smooth, intuitive dialog transitions. icon_wink.gif
H...holy...crap... THAT'S how you do it! I knew there was a way to have seamless slash transitions! Also, another benefit to using this method would be the elimination of those parenthetical emotions. The next screen could just be Link with a little emotional bubble... see Mr. Pimpy's tiles. They're awesome for stuff like that.

About the title sequence: I pretty much agree with everything Radien said. The short tutorial monologue was a little... odd. I'd keep it in, but maybe after some basic story is introduced. Like, when you go outside, and Link's neighbor goes "Hey! Did you know that you can press the B button to speed through text super fast! It's great if you accidentally talk to the same guy twice! Uhh... I don't really know what that meant, but I'm sure you'll figure it out, Link!" LA used that approach, and it worked pretty well.

Thinking back, I'll probably use that exact same quote somewhere in BoE...

#23 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

Yay! My topic is really starting now! I'll edit the first post now.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Sep 11 2007, 09:07 PM) View Post
H...holy...crap... THAT'S how you do it! I knew there was a way to have seamless slash transitions! Also, another benefit to using this method would be the elimination of those parenthetical emotions. The next screen could just be Link with a little emotional bubble... see Mr. Pimpy's tiles. They're awesome for stuff like that.

Hehe... "slash->next" and "auto warp" are my saviors. icon_wink.gif Now, when I want to warp to a dialog screen, I don't have to lay down all sorts of hidden warp tiles. I just lay down an info box tile (or signpost, or NPC, or whatever it is you're reading or talking to), and set the warp. I don't even have to dedicate a secret trigger to it. The way to return from the dialog screen is almost identical, too.

There are other ways to do it, as well. I even had A button transitions back in version 1.92. However, it's harder, and not quite as seamless -- you had to use conveyors, and other messy stuff like that.

Anyway, realize that I'm revealing my secrets here. I'm willing to do that, since it'd help improve any quest (if the designer knows what they're doing), but I'm not going to write a tutorial. I've named the technique and what combo types it uses; you'll have to figure out the rest. I might give some pointers if you're totally stumped...but only if you understand what you're doing and are simply missing a key detail.

#25 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Sep 12 2007, 12:20 AM) View Post

Hehe... "slash->next" and "auto warp" are my saviors. icon_wink.gif Now, when I want to warp to a dialog screen, I don't have to lay down all sorts of hidden warp tiles. I just lay down an info box tile (or signpost, or NPC, or whatever it is you're reading or talking to), and set the warp. I don't even have to dedicate a secret trigger to it. The way to return from the dialog screen is almost identical, too.

There are other ways to do it, as well. I even had A button transitions back in version 1.92. However, it's harder, and not quite as seamless -- you had to use conveyors, and other messy stuff like that.

Anyway, realize that I'm revealing my secrets here. I'm willing to do that, since it'd help improve any quest (if the designer knows what they're doing), but I'm not going to write a tutorial. I've named the technique and what combo types it uses; you'll have to figure out the rest. I might give some pointers if you're totally stumped...but only if you understand what you're doing and are simply missing a key detail.

Personally don't like that control. I like the classic DIRECTIONAL BUTTON.

As for dialogue, I want to make it more user firendly. It be hard for some uers to follow the dialogue. I want to make sure everyone can understand the story in SoD2.5.

Edited by TriMaster001, 12 September 2007 - 05:53 AM.

#26 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:16 AM

I seriously thought that it would be locked because only staff can claim a thread to be "official"... Anyway.

Of course, people can't post as many videos as screens. So, if there is only one video/week, or only a few people post, then it still can be taken as popular.

I'm really waiting forward to the MMDWRDC videos... You know, what they say, "I don't believe it's possible to beat, videos please!".
Plus, Peteo could post the ending video for those like me, whos can't pass even Level 3 and always become pancake in the second secret factory.

As for the battle with Sigma me... I will definitely post videos if oRipa Screen Recorder is compatible with ZC (It's not compatible with a certain emulator.).
However, I don't know... should I record Level 1, which was already seen in my last demo (quite improved since then)? Or should I go spoilers and record Garden Gallery? It's a tough place, I should make a video for help... The main problem is that when a file is too big, Movie Maker says "Error, file can't be imported, it might be broken".

#27 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

Raiden, is there a way of doing it short of scripting before you have a sword? Obviously slash-next combos are rather dependant on having the sword, and I don't want to start out with it. I'm not aware of how autowarp works/what it does though.

#28 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

I've been experimenting with some of the programs listed for recording, but I'm not having the best of luck. Some of them can't record ZC, some of them record in a way that speeds up the actual movie, and some slow down the computer TOO much (I know they're probably all going to slow it down some but...) Anyway, does anyone know of any other recorders or computer options that could help? If I can get a decent recorder, you might be seeing some videos from me!

#29 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

Use CamStudio it will NOT let you down icon_wink.gif

#30 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

Use CamStudio it will NOT let you down

Liar. icon_razz.gif I've had problems with CamStudio. Specifically, problems recording sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users