Photo

Screenshot of the Week 268

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (43 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Cosmic Kid

Cosmic Kid

Jj

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

Angeal gets it. That did look similar to Hidden Duality, though.

#17 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

I voted for T Platinum. I like that forest temple theme, nice job!

#18 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

hmmm, it was REALLY tough choice between Beta Link and Angeal but i ended up voting for Beta Link because i love how the water looks in that shot and because he is doing a great job with the DoR Link's Awakening remake. icon_smile.gif

Great shots this week guys! icon_thumbsup.gif

#19 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

I ended up picking Angeal. Fond, fond memories of 2003. Plus, I actually like the grass. SD3's grass being used as shown in other shots just looks kinda messy, in my opinion. icon_shrug.gif

Other than him, though, Platinum would've gotten my vote - I remember such dungeons working incredibly well. Nuvo, as always, has excellent graphics for such a low bitdepth. Beta Link's shot is alright, but the transparent water killed it for me.

e: again I'm leaving out words

Edited by skateboarder11, 11 August 2009 - 08:02 PM.

#20 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:13 PM

Beta Link: 6/10
A solid shot with good design sense and the unfortunate problem of transparent water. icon_frown.gif It really doesn't look good, and to be completely honest I don't know if it's even able to be fixed. The way water should look is darker in the middle, where the light doesn't penetrate as much, and lighter at the edges where it barely stops any. This shot kicks that to the curb and it seriously messes with the aesthetics.

T. Platinum: 6/10
The way the grass abruptly hits the tiles makes it seem like the monsters here keep the dungeon really groomed. Even in Pure, you can take the grass borders and make the scene really pop by getting the grass to creep across the tiles like a mold. There's also the issue of the moss and vine tiles on the wall. While I like them both (especially the on on the right) they're used too sparingly and just on the top edge, making it feel empty on the other walls. Other than that, Link's palette could use a few more colors.

Angeal: 7/10
No nostalgia factor for me since I never played Hidden Duality. I did see the scene you adapted from, though, and it's a pretty good recreation for a vast difference in style. However, I think that you kept a little too much Pure where it doesn't belong- the two notables are the tree clumps and the straightness of the mountains. The tree clumps can easily be replaced by brush tiles or the larger edited MC/LttP treetops to throw off monotony and increase the variety. The straight mountains are really self explanatory- on the right side in particular, you have the great fortune of a four-tile stacked mountain. You can easily break this in half to two different ridges, or at least turn/angle it. The transparent water is better than in Beta Link's shot, but still not to hot.

Nuvo: 8/10
I really want sprites next time. icon_glare.gif The detail level is impressive given your self-imposed limitations- good luck with this! It's coming along great.

#21 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:58 AM

I actually liked Beta Link's water, what's so wrong about it? It's blue and that's not "realistic"? That doesn't even matter, I can recognize it as pretty water, so for me it's fine.

Voted for him btw.

#22 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

I'm sending my constructive criticism to just beta Link, sorry other entry guys.

Two things.

To make the water look better, try out the white transparent water in CSET 5... provided you haven't edited that color out or anything. I just tried it out, it came out great. It works best if the graphics underneath are white and brown.

IPB Image
(JPG, I know, but look at the sand and dirt, and how well they work underneath... yeah, there isn't any transition between the sand and dirt, I was just showing that they both worked.)

Also, flowing water, if it's moving fast enough, isn't transparent. You could probably get away with opaque waterfalls.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of this blue recreation water... what's it doing outside of miniature golf courses? I don't know. But if you're going transparent, you really gotta evaluate what's underneath before you determine the water color... because water isn't blue., unless there's a lot of sky it can reflect. If it's next to a mountain, it's going to reflect the mountain more than sky, so it'll be more mountain colored. You can get away with blue if it's opaque though, because then it's like it's obvious that it's just water, and not trying to be realistic, but failing horribly.
You also need to consider what's IN the water. If it's swamp water, don't make it transparent. It's going to be full of mud and stuff.

Also, I"m sick of the fact that people around here are making the transparent water go so deep, you can basically see to the bottom of the ocean. After a while, it just stops being transparent.

TK: What's wrong with the water? It doesn't look good. That's what.

Sorry if I may come off as a bit of a jerk with this post. I hope I didn't offend at all.

Null'd by the way.

Edited by Nuvo, 12 August 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#23 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Aug 12 2009, 11:06 AM) View Post
I'm sending my constructive criticism to just beta Link, sorry other entry guys.

Two things.

To make the water look better, try out the white transparent water in CSET 5... provided you haven't edited that color out or anything. I just tried it out, it came out great. It works best if the graphics underneath are white and brown.

IPB Image
(JPG, I know, but look at the sand and dirt, and how well they work underneath... yeah, there isn't any transition between the sand and dirt, I was just showing that they both worked.)

Okay, I'll try that out. Thanks for the tip!

Also, flowing water, if it's moving fast enough, isn't transparent. You could probably get away with opaque waterfalls.

Ok, I'll see if I can do that.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of this blue recreation water... what's it doing outside of miniature golf courses? I don't know. But if you're going transparent, you really gotta evaluate what's underneath before you determine the water color... because water isn't blue., unless there's a lot of sky it can reflect. If it's next to a mountain, it's going to reflect the mountain more than sky, so it'll be more mountain colored. You can get away with blue if it's opaque though, because then it's like it's obvious that it's just water, and not trying to be realistic, but failing horribly.
You also need to consider what's IN the water. If it's swamp water, don't make it transparent. It's going to be full of mud and stuff.

There actually is a swamp area in the game, in which I decided not to use transparent water for exactly that reason.

Also, I"m sick of the fact that people around here are making the transparent water go so deep, you can basically see to the bottom of the ocean. After a while, it just stops being transparent.

Same here. Introduction of the game takes place on the ocean. No transparent water.

TK: What's wrong with the water? It doesn't look good. That's what.

Sorry if I may come off as a bit of a jerk with this post. I hope I didn't offend at all.

Don't worry about that, at least you gave me suggestions on how to improve. Everyone else is basically saying "It sucks, go fix it". >_>

Null'd by the way.

Comments in bold.

Edit: Too much RAEG.

Edited by Beta Link, 12 August 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#24 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Beta Link @ Aug 12 2009, 07:48 PM) View Post

Comments in bold.

It does kind of annoy me, though. I made the palette and started using transparent water at least 6 months ago, and I've shown at least a dozen screenshots with it being used, and the comments I got for it were about 90% positive. And now everyone decides to start complaining? What the hell?
To be honest, I never thought it looked good. I just didn't really mention it... sorry about that icon_smile.gif

#25 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Aug 12 2009, 03:53 PM) View Post
To be honest, I never thought it looked good. I just didn't really mention it... sorry about that icon_smile.gif
If I recall, you were one of the people who didn't like it to begin with anyway. Don't be sorry about it, I'm not angry at anyone! icon_wink.gif

In fact, now that I think about it, I feel kinda like a prick for complaining about people not liking my shot even though I'm in the lead. icon_frown.gif

Edited by Beta Link, 12 August 2009 - 03:00 PM.

#26 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

I did not complain. icon_smile.gif

But yes, I can understand what Nuvo means, these are good suggestions.

#27 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, I take back my whole comment about that. Looking through the thread, it looks like it was 4 people who didn't like my shot because of the water. And I have no right complaining at all, seeing as how I'm in the lead. Sorry about that. >_>

#28 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(MrMister @ Aug 10 2009, 08:02 PM) View Post
T. Platinum - A very awesome "forest temple" shot. I can't really tell but is that water running under the iron grate Link is standing on?
Yeah, but it's kinda hard to see...much better in gameplay.
QUOTE(Theryan @ Aug 11 2009, 12:01 AM) View Post
T - The contrast between grass and tree is too high. You also need floor borders.
I hate floor borders. I don't know why, but I always have icon_shrug.gif .
The contrast thing, though, is an issue and I'll try to fix that soon.
QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Aug 11 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
T. Platinum: 6/10
The way the grass abruptly hits the tiles makes it seem like the monsters here keep the dungeon really groomed. Even in Pure, you can take the grass borders and make the scene really pop by getting the grass to creep across the tiles like a mold. There's also the issue of the moss and vine tiles on the wall. While I like them both (especially the on on the right) they're used too sparingly and just on the top edge, making it feel empty on the other walls. Other than that, Link's palette could use a few more colors.
Noted, noted and more noted. BTW, it's not all grass, but the parts that are grass will be changed. Link's palette is limited due to a graphic experiment that if works, will allow me to change his suits and make it seem like if you can equip different "tunics" in 2.10, so for now that stays.

Dang, I really thought I had a chance this week. At this rate I'll be the worst known SoTW competitor in the history of PZC icon_deformed.gif

#29 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

Beta Link - 14 votes = [38.89%]
T. Platinum - 2 votes = [5.56%]
Angeal - 9 votes = [25.00%]
Nuvo - 11 votes = [30.56%]
Total Votes: 36

Beta Link
IPB Image