LoR Concept Art Thread

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Aha, coloured with crayons! Love those, too :3 Yeah, it's good looking =) Maybe a little too rough but not everyone likes spending hours on one drawing (like me, *gets shot*).
I dunno how serious you are about drawing but maybe you would like to read some anatomy theory? Like, only those for artistic use. It was a great help for me. What I do most of the time is drawing a skeleton with a few lines and add the body afterwards to make sure I do the anatomy right. If you do give a damn about such stuff than PM me or what I can send you a few helpful links than. With that technique I learned from them I drew for example the http://sheik91.devia...field-144011206 (yeah, the face is probably the most ugly ever drawn. Blame it on my red crayon D:).

#32 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

I did that in my english class, so I didn't have more than any more than an hour to work on it. icon_razz.gif (Probably a lot less, actually. icon_xd.gif)
I draw primarily as just as hobby. I've never actually look at very much anatomy specifically; just referring to what I took-up from books I've read if I need to or ask for some advice from a friend of mine. Recently, my works been more sketchy since I haven't sat down and actually drew a big work in a while. Maybe I'm due for another one soon. icon_razz.gif

Maybe it sounds like I'm just making-up excuses, but I would like to improve my anatomy at some point, but every anatomy thing I look at says the same things: draw from real life blah-blah.

[Warning! Rant about why I can't stand drawing from real-life to get better at anime work!]
I'm normally open to opinions and suggestions, but when it comes to this suggestion, I turn away almost immediately since I can't stand drawing realisticly. I see enough life as it is; why would I want to draw it? I just want to draw some anime-styled works, since that's were my passion for drawing came from. (There's a bit of a funny story behind how I started, actually. icon_razz.gif) Maybe I'm just being stubborn and ignorant, but honestly, I'm not changing my ways when it comes to that. Especially since I've come a long way without referring to real life for my work. (My old drawings...ha. I actually dug out my first full-body anime drawing ever. Yeah.) If that's all I'm going to be told, then I'll just keep trying my way until I can get it right.
[/rant]

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to say you suggested that I draw from real life. I just needed to get that out. Especially since everywhere I look that's what people say. (And then there's some that say things like 'get a real style and stop drawing anime!' I could go on forever about that one, not that anyone's ever said it to me directly before, it just severly ticks me off. [One of the few things that do. icon_xd.gif])

But back on the topic of anatomy, I would love to try to up my drawing game in that sense. Especially since I can't draw complex poses very well because of my lack of knowledge in anatomy. icon_razz.gif

And awesome work by the way. Didn't know you had a dA account. icon_biggrin.gif

<Goes to add Sheik right away>

#33 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Jan 5 2010, 01:21 AM) View Post

I did that in my english class, so I didn't have more than any more than an hour to work on it. icon_razz.gif (Probably a lot less, actually. icon_xd.gif)
I draw primarily as just as hobby. I've never actually look at very much anatomy specifically; just referring to what I took-up from books I've read if I need to or ask for some advice from a friend of mine. Recently, my works been more sketchy since I haven't sat down and actually drew a big work in a while. Maybe I'm due for another one soon. icon_razz.gif

Maybe it sounds like I'm just making-up excuses, but I would like to improve my anatomy at some point, but every anatomy thing I look at says the same things: draw from real life blah-blah.

[Warning! Rant about why I can't stand drawing from real-life to get better at anime work!]
I'm normally open to opinions and suggestions, but when it comes to this suggestion, I turn away almost immediately since I can't stand drawing realisticly. I see enough life as it is; why would I want to draw it? I just want to draw some anime-styled works, since that's were my passion for drawing came from. (There's a bit of a funny story behind how I started, actually. icon_razz.gif) Maybe I'm just being stubborn and ignorant, but honestly, I'm not changing my ways when it comes to that. Especially since I've come a long way without referring to real life for my work. (My old drawings...ha. I actually dug out my first full-body anime drawing ever. Yeah.) If that's all I'm going to be told, then I'll just keep trying my way until I can get it right.
[/rant]

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to say you suggested that I draw from real life. I just needed to get that out. Especially since everywhere I look that's what people say. (And then there's some that say things like 'get a real style and stop drawing anime!' I could go on forever about that one, not that anyone's ever said it to me directly before, it just severly ticks me off. [One of the few things that do. icon_xd.gif])

But back on the topic of anatomy, I would love to try to up my drawing game in that sense. Especially since I can't draw complex poses very well because of my lack of knowledge in anatomy. icon_razz.gif

And awesome work by the way. Didn't know you had a dA account. icon_biggrin.gif

<Goes to add Sheik right away>

I also draw a lot in class =3 The most stuff happens in maths, than in philospohy, than in history. The others aren't that full of spare time to use to draw.
However. You started the 'draw-from-real-life-thing' and I just need to say something about it. First of: I love Anime and Manga and am drawing that a lot. I refused refering to real life a long time, too, because I wanted to draw Manga and not real-life. I changed my mind.
[The motivation for me to draw in a more realisic style is, by the way, to show the world how I see it, by the way.But when it comes down to it, I hate drawing anything that does not live. Even plants are boring for me (well they life and it's better to draw a plant than drawing a chair but meh). I like drawing humen the most.]
However. First of all I want to explain something about why drawing from real life to improove drawing Manga/Anime. If you want to draw something, just anything, than you have to understand it in the first place. For humans that'll be to have a least a little knowledge on muscles, bones... (Also very important for anything you draw: do not draw lines but volume of the things). Now, if you want to draw a human, you need to understand how it's 'build', what shapes it consits of, how proportions are... To understand that, you NEED to refer to real life. Because Anime/Manga is just another interpretation of real life. A simplistic one. But none the less, it shows humen, not some other species. If you can draw a human in a realstic style properly, you will be able to simplify it and that will eventually lead to having an own Manga-Style.
Also, if you are one of those people refusing to use references at all, than think about this: Everything you draw is a copy of a picture in your mind, right? Those pictures in your mind, however, are simplyfied a lot (just think of a tree or a car. you have one image in your mind which just sums up the idea 'car' but does not care about little detail and stuff like that) already, they are imperfect. When drawing from your imagination, you simply copy the image in your mind. But that's an imperfect one! The thing you can see in real life is a lot nearer to perfection (which, by the way, does not exist in this world) than the thing you can imagine. That's why using references is not cheating or anything like that, because even if drawing from imagination, your imagination is your reference. Just the qualtity of reference differs.
Whatsoever, that's my point of view on 'draw-from-real-life'.

However, you have a dA-Account, too, so maybe you just check my favorites, there are quite a few of those anatomy-guide things (which don't force you to draw from reallife, by the way. they just explain proprtions and stuff). If you read thorugh all of it, you should be able to create your own 'anatomy-hangman' which just shows where to place the arms, the legs, the hips... than, with little more effort, you can add volume to the hangman, and daa-daa, you have a body. Another tip I can give you is to draw the body naked first, it's good enough to make this as a rough draft. Than you just dress up the character, it's lot easier this way to get the clothes looking right and stuff.
You don't need to draw from reallife for this at all, becuase others already did and just summed up the rules =).

<Added Blaman. =)>

#34 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

It's more or less because I find drawing from real life very boring. I realize that to other it's more interesting and they have fun with it, but myself, I can't stand it. I also realize that I'm just taking life and putting in a different way in paper. I've been drawing Anime/Manga for 6 years without going over to practicing with real-life, and I don't want to either. If I were, I would find it just learning another way that I don't like, making it seem more like a chore than fun. And the second I find drawing to be 'work' (by work I mean not having fun with it and having to force myself to do it) and not for fun, I'm going to stop.

I really hope my posts didn't come across as hostile (either one.) because I really don't mean it to be. icon_frown.gif I'll take a look at the guides in your favorites, and hopefully learn from it.

And thanks for the add! icon_biggrin.gif

#35 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

No, it does not sound mean or anything at all. I think we're able to discuss a certain subject and mustn't hate each other even if we have different points of view (btw, that sadly is a thing quite seldom, I don't understand why).

I'll really recommand you to go at least through the guides once. And by the way: drawing realism and Manga isn't all that different. Mostly the heads are different and the bodys tend to be rather long and slim (yes, I do ignore the outstanding uglyness of let's say Dragonball here). Thinking about it, I really like drawing quite tender characters. It's interesting when you observe it, it really shows your personal ideal body-taste and the like if you just draw random characters (which are not supposed to be really strong or really fat or... which don't have any personaltiy/characteristics at all... it's just the type you like than most of the time).

Well, whatever, I hope that stuff is any help for you.

#36 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, I see what you mean... >_> It's quite sad some times when I see people unable to talk simply because of different views.

As for the guides, I'll go through the guides: I had every intention to from the start. icon_smile.gif I was just saying why I've kind of avoided it and tried to teach myself previously. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users