Veil Stones Script? (Dungeon Gimmick)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Bagu

Bagu

Fandomizer

• Members

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:37 PM

If written a fall from ceiling script...
...for warping engine pitfall, to give them a little extra spice.

But I still hope, this could be implimented without scripting.

...no matter, it works fine.
I just wanted you to know, cause this was something I requiered... and meanwhile I learned to realize it, by myself.

Edited by Bagu, 26 August 2021 - 05:41 PM.

#17 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:54 PM

Oh god are you using the built-in VD scripts?  :shiver: (If they have a compile error, chances are you don't have the latest version with the fixes.... it had multiple issues with compiling in 2.55, for things that.... should not have ever compiled in 2.53, as they were complete nonsense and were in fact errors that 2.53 somehow didn't catch; just let me know and I can help)

As for pits, you can probably swap over to the engine ones for 2.55 easily enough, just by editing your pit combos to the right type and setting up their settings.

Yeahhhhh. They were doing fine for me in 2.53, but I heard that VD had some... conversion issues. The good thing is that I am not using a whole lot of the VD scripts. So I can probably get rid of some of them. Testing shows that my quest is working, but I haven't attempted to compile yet.

There were compilation issues I had in 2.53, but they just required me to make sure all the pathing was correct.

• Bagu likes this

#18 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:16 PM

If you're on an older version of the tileset (which it sounds like) and you're not using many of the scripted features it might be easier to just rip them out and adapt a new script header.

It mainly exists for people who have no intentions of adding further scripts to their quest, because incorporating new ones can be a pain in earlier version of the tileset. This is one of the things that is being improved upon with every version of the tileset since, but it's still far from perfect and any scripter of decent level should know how to just pack together their own script pack based on the stuff they want.

• Architect Abdiel and Bagu like this

#19 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:53 AM

If you're on an older version of the tileset (which it sounds like) and you're not using many of the scripted features it might be easier to just rip them out and adapt a new script header.
It mainly exists for people who have no intentions of adding further scripts to their quest, because incorporating new ones can be a pain in earlier version of the tileset. This is one of the things that is being improved upon with every version of the tileset since, but it's still far from perfect and any scripter of decent level should know how to just pack together their own script pack based on the stuff they want.

Oh yeah. I can definitely do that. In fact, in Zeldavania, I looked at the Codebase of VD for inspiration. I really liked the organizational style of having one main code that calls all other codes in the folder. Also makes it easier to edit the correct code if something goes wrong. I even wrote myself a simple script to have arrow and bomb potions as well and added it to this quest. Certainly, I can just start my own Codebase and add what I need to it.

Thanks for the idea Lunaria.
  • Mani Kanina and Bagu like this

#20 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 27 August 2021 - 11:59 AM

I have updated the quest to 2.55, which does change this discussion a bit.

Got everything from VD to compile.

I also realize, this might be an easier way to do things.

If I set up my combos in a certain way, I can just have them switch to the next combo.

So, I think for scripts 2 and 3, I can just have the screen check for Link's item and then look for combos and change combos X and Y on layer 0/1, whichever to the next combo.
Then do the same for layer 4. Can scripts check layer 4? Actually, now that I think about, I don't think I'll need layer 4.

I'm also more of a fan of just editing collision detection and damage for enemies in the enemy portion of the script.
  • Bagu likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users