Photo

Screenshot of the Week 165

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 165 (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:50 AM

I voted for Evan the Great.
That screen has a real beach feeling with the bright palette and those funny minipalm trees. The center screen's feeling is between LttP and BS, but the completely lined upper and left wall makes the side look BS.

General Fondue: The sides are lined here, too... It has a good feeling to it, really villageish, but could use more ground detail. Or some houses under construction.

Revfan9: Not bad, not good... the very much leaves are strange at the upper-left part... somehow this looks like the side of a forest, but has signs showing that it's near the middle... unnatural environment feeling, must tell

Sharon Daniel: Good gameplay screen, it's like Level 6 in LttP, but the screen quality itself is low, detailless. It's good for playing, but not for SotW. Really, only the extended stairs eliminate the "nothing here" feeling.

Trimaster001: Pretty plant dungeon, nice layout. My second favourite.

zmaster: This is really not ordinary. Flowers and dirt in a dungeon? Looks strange. As for a SotW shot, the bottom could be more detailed.

#17 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:30 AM

Why not a fence? If a friggin bridge is there, would make sense that another made-made structure (like a fence and ultimately a house somewhere off screen) might be present. Maybe this forest is inhabited somehow. So a fence wouldn't feel totally out of place if this were the case.

#18 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:33 AM

Trimaster: Again, boxish. Too much brown on green. Purple trees. Too many of a single type of oracles tree, and there's just nothing to look at.

Brown on Green? Are you talking about the vines? What's wrong with purple trees? It's supposed to be fantasy-like. You honestly think that I can put 2 different oracle tres in there? It would look too overcrowded.

Just like I said if you take those "revolutionary" graphics of yours with the gameplay on that screen, it's going to look killer awesome.

Edited by Trimaster001, 11 June 2007 - 07:45 AM.

#19 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

Wow. icon_wow.gif When I saw the long list of shots, I thought we had something really special. Apparently, I was wrong. icon_unsettled.gif

- Evan the Great -

lame.

- General Fondue -

lame.

- Revfan9 -

lame.

- Sharon Daniel -

lame.

- Trimaster001 -

lame.

- zmaster -

lame.

icon_deformed.gif Couldn't resist. icon_heh.gif
Allow me to start over.

- Evan the Great -

You've got a nice shot going there. Not too many complaints. Well done. icon_clap.gif

- General Fondue -

This is a very empty DoR shot. I'm sorry, but shots like these can't compete at all with the others. icon_unsettled.gif

- Revfan9 -

I don't get it. The mountains look great, but I'm not a professional screen maker. icon_heh.gif I think it's an amazing shot, and very good usage of Pure. icon_biggrin.gif Well, now that a take a closer look, there's a bad perspective on the tree up on the mtns. But that's out of the way, and doesn't matter.

- Sharon Daniel -

It's... an empty dungeon shot. icon_shrug.gif

- Trimaster001 -

It's good. Pretty good. But it needs work. It looks like a field portion with dungeon walls. icon_confused.gif There should be some more flora spread out, if you ask me.

- zmaster -

It looks cool. You did a good'un. As a dungeon entrance, you've scored. As a SotW competitor, U PH41L ERR I MEAN you could've done better. I'm just going to go ahead and say it: dungeon entrances can't compete. icon_shrug.gif

I voted Revfan. It's the best shot, IMO, and just looks great.

#20 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

- Trimaster001 -

It's good. Pretty good. But it needs work. It looks like a field portion with dungeon walls. There should be some more flora spread out, if you ask me.

Can you explain this flora design?

#21 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Jun 11 2007, 09:23 AM) View Post

Can you explain this flora design?

No. icon_blah.gif *leaves*

JK

If it's a Forest dungeon, maybe there should...

I'm mainly looking at those vines on the wall. icon_unsettled.gif There seem to be too few and far between... But now that I take a second look, too much more plant life would ruin the shot, cuz then you wouldn't be able to walk around. Never mind. icon_thumbsup.gif

#22 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:14 AM

All of the shots look nice to my eye, but Revfan shows how to make incredibly beautiful Pure shots!

Revfan for the win! ^_^

#23 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Its a close call between Revfan and SharonDaniel.
Revfan gets my vote though, more detail, better design.

#24 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

General Fondue : good shot it's got a lot of room to move about

Now on to my essy

Evan the Great : I think it is the sand that keeps putting me off
General Fondue : good shot i don't know why but i voted for it
Revfan 9 : Standed pure shot (that's what you get for saying it to everyone)
Sharon Daniel : great DGN shot nothing wrong
Trimaster001 : Also a good shot nothing wrong here
zmaster : Great evntrace shot to a froset temple

All shots were good this week it was hard to make up my mind

#25 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Evan the Great: It's pretty nice, it feels really LttPish, I like that, just make sure you work with the mountains.

General Fondue: It's OK, except for the fence around the border, you need to change that to something different, I don't know what. Also, the grass lacks detail, add some dirt to it, add some grass details, you will be fine.

Revfan9: It's actually pretty good. You managed to cram a pretty big environment into one screen, weird. Either way, two things killed it, both of the overhangs, In my opinion, you used too much LttP overhang, and the transparent overhang just looks bad.

Sharon Daniel: Nice palette and floor tiles, just less boxy next time.

Trimaster001: Pretty cool, no negatives.

zmaster: Same as Trimaster001.

Vote Goes to......

Evan the Great.

#26 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

What's with all the boxyness comments? Do people really think **** like this looks good?

IPB Image

If yes, then sorry. **** you. Maybe I'll throw in an MC Escher dungeon for all y'all *****es, but don't expect all my dungeons to look like that.

#27 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

Sharon, calm down. Censored or not, there's no need for that

Yes, obviously some people find that style of dungeon design better, me included. Granted, I might not like that random look, but I do think it adds a bit more interest than a bunch of identical screens

#28 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

That's very overcrowded. Maybe if you add detail people won't think of it as boxy. Anyway, I don't think your SotW shot is boxy because I believe your dungeon is meant to be that way. IMO, I believe overworlds should be judged whether boxy or not.

Edited by Trimaster001, 11 June 2007 - 11:59 AM.

#29 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Evan - Nice setup. I like the placement of the trees, bushes, and water. Not a big fan of the perfectly straight mountains to the north and west though. Makes that portion look man-made for what otherwise looks like a natural screen (except the statue obviously).

General Fondue - A functional and straightforward screen, but not interesting enough to get my vote.

Revfan9 - Now that is what I call very good work. It looks natural and makes great usage of shading to bring what is not directly in the screen have its influence on it. The ground details are excellently distributed in a way that makes it look natural. You also get a sense of the influence of the screens on all four sides of it, as it look like part of a bigger picture and not just a one screen wonder. The only part that bothers me are some of the mountains, especially the portion just above the bridge. Doesn't feel right to me. If it wasn't for Sharon, I would have voted for this.

Sharon Daniel - The areas to the left, bottom, and right are what is most excellent about this screen. I know that you redid some pure tiles to bring texture to them, and you did very well. It would be interesting to see what those torches would look like modified, but that is up to you of course. The outer walls and doorways fit well with the floor, and the railing aren't used badly either. At first the middle of the screen kind of bothered me, but then I could see what you were doing with it. That is quite a steep drop, and I think it would be hard to try to express that with the usage of less space. You get a sense that the middle of the screen is a less desirable place to be despite there not being any enemies down there. The webs certainly help bring that on too. My vote goes here.

Trimater - You basic looking block puzzle that doesn't overdominate the shot. I really like your choice of walls and the doorways seem to fit in with it nicely. Overall a well organized and functional shot.

zmaster - Nice DoR shot. It seems well organized for the most part and looks appropriate for a forest temple. The rock and the tree below it on the right side looks odd though. Also the torches directly behind the rock doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Perhaps all of these can be spaced out a little more. Remove a pot or two and/or push the floor torch a little if you have to. If you feel as if it is all too crowded, you still have a little room left to make the room a bit larger as well.

#30 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

I nulled, just to be fair.

Just for the record, the screen was less of a chance to win and more of a way of showing what I'm up to, since it seeme like more people check here than the screenshot thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users