Photo

Screenshot of the Week 657

Cukeman Shoshon the Elegant EnnonFenom

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 657 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

Cukeman
Cukeman.jpg

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Prometheus does battle with a flare dancer, in the dam beneath Level 6.

EnnonFenom
EnnonFenom.png
"Ain't it ah shame, to go fishing on a Sunday?"

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

Forever loving your old work, Cukeman. :)

#3 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

Null'd of course.  I know whats wrong on my screen. And would rather here other's onions :awesome:  opinion.   I just noticed that the rocks on the left. Look as if there is a stick figure fishing, lol.

Edit, I also Noticed after submitting These and fixed most of them. Like links swim tile looks more accurate "swimming" and not as if treading water....

Cukeman,               Nice palette, Well constructed

Shoshon the Elegant,   The jars look like ground tiles. It is really hard to distinguish your character from the scene, Perspective issue's are abundant. did some one throw waffles all over the room?

I am sorry but I don't like that style. I am not saying they are bad, or it's bad to have your own taste. But it is not something I would vote for.

Good luck you Two!

Edited by EnnonFenom, 16 April 2018 - 04:44 PM.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:41 PM

Shoshon are those objects on the wall copper mirrors that reflect magic?

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

They are staticy TV screens. I made them for security rooms.

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

Cukeman got my vote with Shoshon close second. Well done. :)

To get into more constructive criticism:

Cukeman:

Great screen and example of clean visuals complete with a lovely screen that's designed rather nicely. Would love to see just a tad more organization with the gravestones but otherwise it's my favorite this week.

Shoshon the Elegant:

Definitely a unique dungeon screen, there's nice detail and space at the same time. While the tiles aren't as masterful as Cukeman's in terms of shading, I can still tell the details apart hence why you are close second.

EnnonFenom:

While the screen layout is fine and an improvement from last week's, the tiles are so noisy I couldn't tell what was what until I paid more attention. I thought the mountains were dirt most notably. Also the tree looks flat on detail while the grass is completely detailed, I feel texture wise they should be reversed.

• Jared and Matthew like this

#7 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

EnnonFenom:

While the screen layout is fine and an improvement from last week's, the tiles are so noisy I couldn't tell what was what until I paid more attention. I thought the mountains were dirt most notably. Also the tree looks flat on detail while the grass is completely detailed, I feel texture wise they should be reversed.

Yes, the cliffs are mud or dirt cliffs, Not stone or mountains.

personally I like textured grass, and do agree that the tree is detail lacking but suppose to be a flat foliage.

these are still a wip custom drawn tileset. And I am trying not to re draw other trees, but make my own..

thanks  for the input though.

although I find it hard to take your word about texture and detail after saying this

Definitely a unique dungeon screen, there's nice detail and space at the same time. While the tiles aren't as masterful as Cukeman's in terms of shading, I can still tell the details apart hence why you are close second.

considering there is no detail, and very flat!

Very dull, and Shoshon the elegants shot I literally have to put my face to my monitor to even see his character! And has no  shading and looks like a weird side scroll game.   

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:53 PM

No, you missed my point. Your tree is stylistically completely different from the grass which is why I made that comment. I even suggested to have the grass more flat and the tree more detailed because that's usually the direction you see with most 2D graphical styles since grass is used more often than trees. At the very least Shoshon is stylistically more consistent which is why I did not make the same comment to his graphics. Not sure why you'd find my word hard to take, I'm talking about consistency here. :P

Also would like to point out classic tileset doesn't require shading and "depth". Also was referring to the detail on the screen itself. But I digress.

#9 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:54 PM

although I find it hard to take your word about texture and detail after saying this

. . .

considering there is no detail, and very flat!

Very dull, and Shoshon the elegants shot I literally have to put my face to my monitor to even see his character! And has no  shading and looks like a weird side scroll game.   

Just because something is detailed doesn't mean it doesn't look better. That's like saying the DoR tileset is better than GB because it's more detailed. It is mostly up to personal preference.

However, I do have to agree with Shane on this. Your tiles are very creative, although very messy and eye-hurting to look at. I like what you have going on, but it is literally hard to look at in my opinion.

• Shane likes this

#10 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:41 AM

The pots came with the tileset. Although I am thinking of altering them a little.

There are a couple things I know I'd like to fix up a bit. Namely the chair on the left and the couches near the top. As I do see some oddities with the perspective. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not particularly great with graphics. I do what I can to make things that show off what they are.

#11 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

I can still tell the details apart hence why you are close second

Do you mean design?

The pots came with the tileset. Although I am thinking of altering them a little.

There are a couple things I know I'd like to fix up a bit. Namely the chair on the left and the couches near the top. As I do see some oddities with the perspective. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not particularly great with graphics. I do what I can to make things that show off what they are.

The pots on the bottom, should be flipped vertically. 

to do so just open combo page copy the jar to a blank spot then press "v" without the quotations.

try adding a few contrasting colors, and highlight colors. And mixing of of top down and top back, really look odd to me.

It looks as if the game has contradicting gravity. That's all. And just keep up your work. We get better with time.

Just because something is detailed doesn't mean it doesn't look better. That's like saying the DoR tileset is better than GB because it's more detailed. It is mostly up to personal preference.

However, I do have to agree with Shane on this. Your tiles are very creative, although very messy and eye-hurting to look at. I like what you have going on, but it is literally hard to look at in my opinion.

um did I say anything along those lines?

Shoshon the Elegant,   The jars look like ground tiles. It is really hard to distinguish your character from the scene, Perspective issue's are abundant. did some one throw waffles all over the room?

I am sorry but I don't like that style. I am not saying they are bad, or it's bad to have your own taste. But it is not something I would vote for.

Good luck you Two!

"I am not saying they are bad, or it's bad to have your own taste."

I agree Jared.

I am not sure what you mean on messy? As in tiles locations? Tile detail?

I can show many natural scenes in real life that look messier then Anything I have ever drawn!

And am trying to go for a natural look and feel, less cartoony.

And zc always reduces my colors in game.

Edited by EnnonFenom, 17 April 2018 - 06:12 AM.

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

Cukeman - I really love this shot, the atmosphere and colours add a lot to this screen. I also feel like I recognise this from somewhere, it was that Zelda 3 quest right? Good work though, this looks cool.

Shoshon - I really like the idea of this shot. I got a bit confused with the walls on the left side at first, but then I realised what was going on so it's all good :P I like the setting of this area too, I assume this is like the reception place with the desk and the sofas around? Also I hope those TVs have the animation for static, that would look really cool in game. All around very creative screen.

EnnonFenom - This is pretty interesting, the transparent water looks very nice. I do like the attention to detail you added for most of the tiles, though I do agree with Shane about the big tree to the bottom-right and the mountains. But anyway, I still think it looks very nice.

Quite a tough one this week, but I'll go for Cukeman.

#13 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

EnnonFenom - This is pretty interesting, the transparent water looks very nice. I do like the attention to detail you added for most of the tiles, though I do agree with Shane about the big tree to the bottom-right and the mountains. But anyway, I still think it looks very nice.

I too, feel the tree is off. Mainly due to the fact. I have a little trouble figuring out how to draw it in the perspective and have detail, without making it look like z3 face tree's. And adding leaf looks makes it similar to the large bushes, I don't want to recreate those tree's and bushes. This is wip still.

I do feel my water highlights though are very pixelized and need some smoothing. And the water is actually not on a layer its on the screen. I worked very hard on making that.

Oh and shane. I do see now a problem with the cliff tiles. Well not really but, If I were to have contrasted them with my actual dirt tiles. That would show clearly that they are cliffs.

#14 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Do you mean design?

Yes.

Oh and shane. I do see now a problem with the cliff tiles. Well not really but, If I were to have contrasted them with my actual dirt tiles. That would show clearly that they are cliffs.

The problem isn't that they're made of dirt. The problem is that they're flat (something you seem very critical about when it comes to tiles) and I mistook them for dirt path tiles. :P

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

I also feel like I recognise this from somewhere, it was that Zelda 3 quest right? 

Yup, old quest but new screens to SotW, just helping the contest out since we've been low on entries.

• Eddy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cukeman, Shoshon the Elegant, EnnonFenom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users